Thread: Quick question about Fruit page

kungfumike is offline Senior Member

Quick question about Fruit

Primal Fuel
    I want to lose weight from 5'10" 250 lbs and I have cut sugar, flour and grain out of my diet for 2 weeks. In the beginning I ate apples and corn (until I realized it was a grain, doh) in small amounts, but learning about PB has got me thinking that I need to be careful about selecting fruit if I want to lose weight.

I understand berries are low sugar, but I feel like berries are quite expensive, but I will look into it.

How are nectarines?

Any other personal favorites?

Anyone eat raw rhubarb?

I am not in a super huge rush as I am transitioning very well right now, but I'd like to get some suggestions.

Thanks!

AndySlammer is offline Junior Member
    Just plug your meals into FitDay.com and you can see what the results of fruit are. Seems to me most fruit has around 25g carbs per piece. With that in mind you have to be careful not to go over the 100 gram line. You can try cutting your fruit in half so you don't have a whole serving. I typically don't eat plain fruit anymore. I like to add it to my salad or smoothie instead. That way it stretches my fruit allowance. Once we hit our weight goals and can move the carb bar to 150 we will have a little more leeway on fruit.
    Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I eat frozen berries every day with coconut milk. This way I don't have to worry about spending a lot on berries only to have them go bad.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    This is something I am struggling with because it's summer and all the fruit is out and super ripe and delicious. Even holding to two servings a day can really push my carb load up. My rule of thumb is 1-2 servings a day. If you aren't losing weight (if that is your goal) and you are doing everything else right, then drop the fruit out. Personally, I'm going to eat 1-2 pieces a day while it's lovely and fresh and I'll cut it out in the fall.

Two MDA articles to read: Best Low Carb Fruit and Best Fruit Choices
    Frozen berries are typically a better deal than fresh and you should be able to find them frozen plain without a heavy sugar syrup.

Rhubarb is actually a vegetable - I think some court in the US declared it a 'fruit' because of how it typically used but whatever. You can eat the stalks raw - but watch the volume as rhubarb is a laxative. Also, avoid the leaves as they are be poisonous in large quantities .. and I have no idea what they mean by volume.

Hope that helps.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I had the same questions when i started primal, but really, just avoid bananas and chose fruits that taste more sour than sweet. Also, try to pick the smaller fruit or cut larger in half for 2 servings. Grapefruits are awsome, plums, granny smith apples, red grapes and berries. Honetly, do not worry too too much, just control the portion to about 1/2 to 1 cup no more than twice a day. I don't abide this rule in the summer when all teh cool fruit is abound!

I buy frozen berries in bulk or fresh on sale and freeze them, and ~ 1 cup a day doesn't cost too much. Strawberries are actually dirt-cheap here . I also grow my own berries in th eback yard. Cranberries are awsome because they go on dirt-cheap sale after Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that's when I buy them by the cart-full and freeze to last the rest of the year. Make a wonderful smoothie woth avocado and egg-white and cinnamon!

SaraVZ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    This is something I am struggling with because it's summer and all the fruit is out and super ripe and delicious. Even holding to two servings a day can really push my carb load up. My rule of thumb is 1-2 servings a day. If you aren't losing weight (if that is your goal) and you are doing everything else right, then drop the fruit out. Personally, I'm going to eat 1-2 pieces a day while it's lovely and fresh and I'll cut it out in the fall.

Two MDA articles to read: Best Low Carb Fruit and Best Fruit Choices
    Frozen berries are typically a better deal than fresh and you should be able to find them frozen plain without a heavy sugar syrup.

Rhubarb is actually a vegetable - I think some court in the US declared it a 'fruit' because of how it typically used but whatever. You can eat the stalks raw - but watch the volume as rhubarb is a laxative. Also, avoid the leaves as they are be poisonous in large quantities .. and I have no idea what they mean by volume.

Hope that helps.
    This is me-plus it's really cheap right now! Cherry season just finished and now we're onto blueberry season. I try to stick to one or two handfuls a day, but there's nothing like fresh blueberries yummm!
    ~*Sara*~

AndySlammer is offline Junior Member
    Another example of 'stretching' fruit is primal trail mix. It has dried appricots and blueberries. I would never eat those alone as they have way too many carbs, but stretched in the trail mix... Yummy.
    Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Wow thanks so much guys. Lots of great suggestions.

I will look into frozen berries and will take it easy.

I will keep y'all posted~

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One day at a time for me also....and today is the day that I am making a change to my intake of fruit. I have been experimenting with PB for about a month. I've read the book twice and am trying to figure out what will work for me. I have about 25 pounds to lose as an initial goal and then a few more after that. I have been eating primal, including all kinds of fruit and the weight is not coming off very fast. I have lost about 3 pounds in one month. Today I am tweaking my diet to limit myself to just 2 servings of fruit per day. I know it is a high carb item but I must have my banana each day. A fruit that is supposed to be low in sugar is canteloup. I can get fresh locally grown ones at the farmer's market so I will include those. I am going to stay away from grapes, apples, pears and pineapple. If you google low carb fruits you will get some good info.