Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larabars? page

Kaizen Guest

Primal Fuel

Alright well I'm not sure how to search on this forum, so I'm going to ask. Are Larabars "primal" enough? They're "processed" but made with nothing more than fruits, nut and stuff you can buy at the grocery store. For instance the last one I ate was "Pecan Pie" which the ingredients read "Dates, Pecans, and Almonds". I use this mostly as a "dessert" after my main meal or as a snack when I'm out. They're a bit expensive, but I think if it keeps me eating natural foods it's well worth the money. Thoughts? I'm also eating the "Jocalat" bars, made by them as well which are basically the same thing except with unsweet chocolate.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

If you're not trying to lose weight then eat them!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Freaking love Larabars! I have them as a dessert as well, usually with coffee. There are also recipes online on how to make your own...I&#39;ve tried, but then realized that there is a significant difference between dried dates vs. fresh dates and a blender vs. a food processor. Oops!

Kaizen Guest

I don&#39;t see how they&#39;d stop you from losing "weight" (you meant fat right?) so long as you don&#39;t eat like 5 of them a day. I&#39;m just using them to tame my junk food cravings with something cleaner. They&#39;re expensive, so I don&#39;t plan on eating these often, just like them as a snack, that and paleo kits.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I try not to make them a habit, but like to buy one every once in a while.

Cinnamon Roll is my favorite one.

Osa007 Guest

They are date based so: plenty of sugar/carbs, but at least with nutrients. The only reason I haven&#39;t bought them for an occasional treat/snack are the nuts....I&#39;m sure they aren&#39;t soaked, so they may be irritating to your digestion and bind to important vitamins.....but, otherwise....!

Osa007 Guest

By the way, plenty of grocery stores have fresh dates - get a few, very cheap, especially if you&#39;re getting three to six (they are very rich). Stuff them with dark chocolate, your own properly prepared nuts or unsweetned coconut....or on it&#39;s own!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I love them and usually have them around for long hikes or rides, but I always have (mental) trouble getting around that high carb count unless I&#39;m doing something really active. Way better than a Mars bar, though!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

emmie is online now Senior Member

I discovered You Bars (thanks to Mark), which I like to have for traveling, not snacks at home.

You can create your own bars online. The first time, I added in dates (and the bars were delicious and not too carby), but I try to avoid all sugars, so the second time, I omitted them. So I now have a bar of just almond butter, nuts, unsweetened chocolate, whey protein, and cinnamon. A small bar gives me 12g of protein for 200 cal, and only 2g carbs. These can be a meal replacement for me when I travel.

They are expensive, but to me, being able to control ingredients this way is well worth the cost, especially since I use them rarely.

Kaizen Guest

You bars? Damn that&#39;s awesome! I&#39;m going to try it out now, although I wish they had more protein types. I try to avoid dairy, including whey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast