Thread: Time to buckle down page

Chevalrose is offline Junior Member

Time to buckle down

Hello there. I stumbled upon the primal/paleo lifestyle after I also stumbled upon the WAPF. While I'm not super overweight, I have more flab than I would like and am looking to generally get more healthy and more in tune with my body. I'm in transition to becoming a more organic, minimalistic person and so far it's been a great feeling. I'm doing this along with my fiance who remains skeptic about many things (don't even get me started on the arguments, *cough* I mean debates, we've had over raw milk). He's very into modern science and is tentative about alternatives, but he's open and at least all on board with going paleo/primal food-wise.

We've been trying to generally go low carb for a month or so, but we haven't been very attentive and have cheated quite a bit. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in my body. So, I'm thinking it's time we really buckle down. I feel we both can benefit mentally and physically from making this change officially. It's tough, though, because he's a bit of a sugar addict .

Anyways, that's my blurb. I'm glad there is a resource such as this to help us on our way!

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard the primal lifestyle. May your ride be as grand as mine has in the past 7 weeks.
    I know what you mean about switching carbohydrates with fats. I use to eat high carb, low protein, no fat because my doctor told me it would help me to lose weight. If I could have shown him Primal back when I weighed 280 pounds I would probably be 180 pounds of lean mean solid muscle. Instead I am skinnyfat 150/5 pounds 17/17.5% body fat. I hate the way my body looks though I have made a huge improvement over the past 7 weeks. I have gone already from 22% body fat down to 17/17.5% body fat. I have gone from not being able to lift 10 pounds to lifting 100 pounds. This way of life actually works because unlike a diet, it's a lifestyle change. This is exactly what I needed and I am very happy to eat organ meats, they are very delicious. I am also very happy to keep my carbohydrates in range of 20 to 50grams a day.

The less carbohydrates you consume the less you want them thus making the need for them less. Check Spinach out for example a whole bag of spinach is almost always around 2 to 5 net carbohydrates. That means you can eat the whole bag and not worry about if you are going to over do carbohydrates. Take pickles for example 1 pickle average size is only 1 carbohydrate that means you can eat like 5 pickles and not worry about over doing carbohydrates. Now lets take those nasty and I do mean nasty grains into the equation most pieces of bread is around 15 carbohydrates.. but wait there's more not only is there 15 carbohydrates they also cause your body wanting more bread.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Former sugar addict here, now sugar free for almost 4 months. I'm still kind of in awe of that, but I can honestly say I hardly ever want it anymore, and when I do, it's a fleeting thought and I can move on pretty quickly from it, whereas before I used to dread even the thought of an m&m coming into my head because as soon as that happened, I knew it was inevitable that I would be at the 7-Eleven at some point in the near future. Now? Eh. In fact, a few months ago a coworker dropped a bite-size Milky Way on my desk for a treat and it's still sitting here, a testament to the power of primal :-) Good luck to the two of you!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Chevalrose! Hang in there! You can do it!

May I suggest focusing on the core issues. Raw milk is not one of them.

I applaud your fiance for being skeptical. Primal is all about questioning conventional wisdom. It is good to question Primal wisdom too. I have taken a very skeptical approach. However, almost always Mark has had an answer for my concerns. (Not raw milk though. You can wave research and logic in my face all day but it still isn't going in my mouth.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Chevalrose is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all your welcomes.

@ Hedonist: Yeah...it's been a debate, but certainly hasn't been at the crux of anything in particular, just an example :-). We've settled neutrally and in any case are avoiding dairy for now...most likely giving up milk itself anyways and if we end up bringing dairy back it would be in the form of fermented dairy or cream.