Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How heavy should the Heavy Things be? page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

How heavy should the Heavy Things be?

Primal Fuel
    Hello! I've been primal for a month or so now and I ditched the bootcamp classes for body weight exercises at home. It's not so challenging any more so I think I am ready to start using weights now. We now have a load of free weights and a bar, and while I can google form, I can't work out how much weight I should start lifting or carrying for squats and lunges. I am 5'6" and I weigh 57kg (125lb). Please can someone help? Thanks!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how much you can lift in general. There is no set weight per height/weight ratio.
    Really make sure that you get the form down with very light (even just the bar) weight. This will help immensely in preventing injuries.

Lunges will be a lighter weight than squats because of the mechanics. As a basic starting place (and when you have your form down) I would try doing squats 3 sets of 8-10 reps with half of your body weight. If you can do that, then next time add weight (10-15%), if you can't do that, lower the weight and go from there. It might take a few workouts for you to figure out where the weights should be.

Hope that helps some.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Are you a male or female? I am a female and weigh 127 pounds at 5'8'' so my heigh/weigh ration seems to be similar. If you are an absolute beginner I would start squats/lunges with bodyweight only until you master them with perfect form. That is absolutely crucial to remain injury-free! When adding weight I started with two 5-kilo plates attached to an 8 kilo bar (roughly 29 pounds alltogether). I quickly progressed to two ten-kilo plates (22 pounds) and I am now able to perform 6-8 reps with 15 kilo at each side + the bar = 33 kilo (about 70 pounds) with good form. However, you have to figure out what works for you and you have to experiment a little! Concentrate on form and range of motion! When adding weight, if the last reps definitely feel like work the weight is appropriate. Good luck!

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    That helps loads! Thanks so much IcarianVX!
    Sonnenblume - I'm female. I feel pretty confident with bodyweight squats and lunges as I learned to do these at my bootcamp classes. Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by Nibbler; 07-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Start it easy and add some every single time - it'll get heavy soon enough. You make progress by continually trying harder exercise, not staying with the same challenge, just as with anything else.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Start it easy and add some every single time - it'll get heavy soon enough. You make progress by continually trying harder exercise, not staying with the same challenge, just as with anything else.
    agreed. start with nothing but the bar and keep advancing. check out the stronglifts 5x5 beginner program, or starting strength. you'll be able to work up to your ideal numbers quickly and move on from there.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
    Hello! I've been primal for a month or so now and I ditched the bootcamp classes for body weight exercises at home. It's not so challenging any more so I think I am ready to start using weights now.
    You've gotten some good advice about weight training in this thread already but I have to take issue with the whole "bodyweight exercises have gotten too easy so I have to do weights" argument. Nothing against weights, but you don't have to add weight to make your workout more challenging - you could just pick harder bodyweight exercises. Check out my master list of bodyweight exercises to see what I mean.

Either way, keep training hard and challenging yourself!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Al Kavadlo using your own body weigh gets easy? Change the body weight exercise. If that becomes easy change it again.
    I have nothing against weights but I much prefer testing my body against my muscles over testing weights against my muscles.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    As heavy as it can get while still keeping good form.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

aint nothin but a peanut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast