Thread: I have been asked to tell someone about my "diet" page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

I have been asked to tell someone about my "diet"

Shop Now
    At last! Someone I know is so impressed at how much weight I have lost and the fact that it has stayed off, at how well I look, and the fact that my asthma is gone, that she has asked me to tell her about my "diet".

I have sent her links to this site, of course, and suggested she buys the book. I have given a link to the perfect diet.

What else should I send? What I really want is a simple, concise explanation of the PB and why it works - when I looked at this site (as opposed to just the forums etc) I realised how convoluted and NOT concise it is - I couldn't even find a helpful, really good page to link to and I don't to put her off at the outset.

Advice please! This is my potential first "convert" who has ASKED about the diet - I don't want to fail her!

I also pointed out that I take 2200iu Vit D3 daily - she doesn't.....

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome. Good for both of you. It's great when people notice and ask "How do I get that too?"

Helping others one by one eventually gets frustrating. Maybe start a journal on the forum and point to key things and explain what worked? Then send them a link and it has a connection to you.

When I was getting those questions, I started a blog site so people I know can keep up and read it when they want.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Just don't over-whelm them. I got over-excited when approached and sent just way too much shit and then never heard back, even from people that at first seemed really interested. Then I'd get all pissy when I heard "I had a cookie so just gonna run it off tomorrow! tee-hee!" just give them enough.

Go to archevore.com and search for the 'get started' or something like that. That's a pretty friendly "here's what to eat and what to avoid" guide. Then send them to MDA.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Here's the Whole 9 "Paleo Elevator Pitch." It's pretty general with limited "science" thrown in and can be tweaked for Primal eating. The blog post also details what not to do when asked

The Paleo Pitch | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Here is the simplest explanation of what the PB is: How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

I think the PB 101 section is the must read section of the blog for anyone new to this, and would send anyone there before ever having them check the forums etc: Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, there is a free look into the intro of the book somewhere on the blog which I found very simple but helpful when I was first starting out. Don't have a link, but I think if you look around you'll find it.

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    I wish others around me, specially my family would consider the Primal lifestyle. Sadly I have only managed to talk about it with friends I have through other various sites. = )
    They seem happy that I am losing weight, but they are also afraid that it might harm them (CW.)
    I keep telling them that only after you exhausted all other possibilities will you make the right choice (Winston ChurchHill)

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    Here's the Whole 9 "Paleo Elevator Pitch." It's pretty general with limited "science" thrown in and can be tweaked for Primal eating. The blog post also details what not to do when asked

The Paleo Pitch | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    +1

Quoting directly:

"I eat real food fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit. I choose foods that are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition. And food quality is important Im careful about where my meat comes from, and buy produce locally and organically as often as possible.

Its not a low calorie diet I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy and a healthy weight. In fact, my diet is probably much higher in fat than youd imagine. Fat isnt the enemy its a great energy source when it comes from high quality foods like avocado, coconut and nuts. And Im not trying to do a low carb thing, but since Im eating vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal and pasta, it just happens to work out that way.

Eating like this is good for maintaining a healthy metabolism, and reducing inflammation within the body. Its been doing great things for my energy levels, body composition and performance in the gym. It also helps to minimize my risk for a whole host of lifestyle diseases and conditions, like diabetes, heart attack and stroke."

Wow. That's absolutely perfect.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I would never send most converts directly here to MDA. Sorry Mark. The current day's post might be about eating dirt.

I like Matt's introduction.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    "I eat “real” food – fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit. I choose foods that are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition. And food quality is important – I’m careful about where my meat comes from, and buy produce locally and organically as often as possible.

It’s not a low calorie “diet” – I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy and a healthy weight. In fact, my diet is probably much higher in fat than you’d imagine. Fat isn’t the enemy – it’s a great energy source when it comes from high quality foods like avocado, coconut and nuts. And I’m not trying to do a “low carb” thing, but since I’m eating vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal and pasta, it just happens to work out that way.

Eating like this is good for maintaining a healthy metabolism, and reducing inflammation within the body. It’s been doing great things for my energy levels, body composition and performance in the gym. It also helps to minimize my risk for a whole host of lifestyle diseases and conditions, like diabetes, heart attack and stroke."

I'd edit this a wee bit so as to not turn off people who would be, perhaps justifiably, that they couldn't source or afford local and/or organic foods, or who don't want to feel like they have to be a 'health nut'. Here's what I would say:

I eat unprocessed food and fresh foods as much as possible. Food like meat, vegetables and fruit that I find in the outside aisles of the grocery store. All of these foods are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals. The only time I go into the inner aisles is to buy canned fish or my coffee, tea, and coconut milk.

While organic, local foods may be preferable they aren't 100% necessary to see many benefits in a short period of time.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    A lot of good tips here to introduce it. I wish I'd have read these when I started a year ago.

There's a really good point on the whole9 that the tendancy is to talk about we don't eat, which automatically puts the person on the defensive since they eat those things.