Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb question. Anyone???? page

bulldogmills Guest

When counting daily carbs, do you count all carbs or just digestible carbs. ie. fiber, does this count as your daily carb count?

maba is offline Senior Member

I don't know. I just plug in the details on fitday and I take whatever it gives at face value. I guess it's the total carbs, including fiber.

bulldogmills Guest

That's what I do also, but I didn't know if the carbs aren't digestible if they don't count. Makes sense if they don't. Would be nice if they didn't count.

emmie is offline Senior Member

When estimating carbs (I try to have only 10 per meal), I subtract the fiber. Since my carbs are almost exclusively veggies, that's easy to do.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The PB guidelines use gross carbs. Atkins uses net.

There are a lot of problems in trying to use net. There is good evidence, for instance, that "undigestible" fiber isn't quite as undigestible as we used to think.

I used to do a net carb counting in Fitday, many of the foods further reduced by the use of starch blockers. Doing all this made my carbs look really low. But how accurate? I then went back to gross carbs and accepted the higher numbers. They were like a warning shot across the bow if I saw them creeping up.

Kaizen Guest

I use net carbs myself, to each their own. I just try to keep my carbs coming from veggies and fruits.

If you use net, and you are using Mark's carb guidelines, they will be out of whack. Don't forget, Atkinds uses 20g of carbs per day instead of Mark's 50 per day for weight loss. Part of that difference is net vs. gross.

Either works, just as long as you understand the relationship.

If you use net, and you are using Mark's carb guidelines, they will be out of whack. Don't forget, Atkinds uses 20g of carbs per day instead of Mark's 50 per day for weight loss. Part of that difference is net vs. gross.

Either works, just as long as you understand the relationship.

jmallen5 is offline Junior Member

My experience has been that my body treats all carbs the same. I was using low carb tortillas with a net of 4 grams each with a total of 16 carbs (12g of fiber)I would stop losing weight and actually put some back on. This was during my Atkins days. Since going primal I've avoided any and all of these "low carb" bread substitutes. If I need a bread I make the famous "Oopsie rolls". I've also eliminated most dairy products other than butter and the occasional piece of cheese.

misathemeb is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

i use the # fitday gives me, i don't subtract out fiber or anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast