Thread: Husband to a Nutritionist page

Lando is offline Junior Member

Husband to a Nutritionist

Shop Now
    Greetings.

I'm Cuban. My entire life has been one of rice and beans and flan and sugar and rum and cuban bread and sandwiches and tropical fruits, juices, and shakes - not exactly low-carb. I love burgers and fries and donuts and ice cream.

But above all, I love meat.

So, after reading all the updates on LRC for a long time and watching Fat-Head, I'm sold on the low-carb, high-protein-and-saturated-fat way of life. I've been toying with it for the last month, eating eggs and pork cracklings almost every day. Yesterday, I went to the doctor and my blood pressure clocked in at 118 over 80.

This was an eye-opener for my wife, a nutritionist. Because of her schooling that pushes whole grains as a healthy part of life, she's been skeptical (and still remains so, really). My recent blood pressure and watching Fat Head won her measured support - but she's still not buying it. Hopefully, I'll make her a believer.

So I started on Monday (yesterday) properly at 228.4 lbs and about 26% body fat.

Because of a back problem, I cannot rely on much in the way of fitness. My goal, then - if I'm figuring it properly - is eating 80g to 120g of protein, no more than 150g of carbs daily, and the rest from fat. Roughly, this is at least 320 - 480 kcal from protein, 400 - 600 kcal from carbs (with as little grain as possible), and 600 - 1000 kcal from fat. Does that seem right to all of you?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lando; 07-27-2011 at 12:06 AM.

js290 is offline Senior Member

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I'm an RD, now convinced about this way of eating. Suggest to your wife that she read Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories. A huge tome, but very scientifically based and well referenced. It convinced me.

And the results in my own body and my health convinced me. But it's hard to go against the establishment line, especially professionally.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member

I agree with marthat

In the short time I have been on Primal, I have increased my lifts from 10 pounds to 100 pounds.
    I have gone from always hungry to never hungry.
    I have gone from fearing the bathroom scale to loving myself and the mirror.
    I have gone from 200grams of carbohydrates + to eating only 20 to 50g a day.
    I have not suffered from any problems that people claim you suffer when making the switch to eating less carbohydrates.
    I have no crashes, I don't feel burned out at the end of the day, and I actually look forward to work now.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando View Post
    Because of a back problem, I cannot rely on much in the way of fitness. My goal, then - if I'm figuring it properly - is eating 80g to 120g of protein, no more than 150g of carbs daily, and the rest from fat. Roughly, this is at least 320 - 480 kcal from protein, 400 - 600 kcal from carbs (with as little grain as possible), and 600 - 1000 kcal from fat. Does that seem right to all of you?

Thanks!
    Cut the carbs down to 75g (or less), up the protein to at least 175g and get at least 100g of fat per day.
    I weigh in the 200lbs range (it fluctuates all the time) and I get at least 200g of protein and 160g of fat per day with no problems. If you don't eat enough you might feel like crap. I exercise though, so my numbers should be higher than yours anyway.

Welcome to MDA btw.

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I'm an RD, now convinced about this way of eating. Suggest to your wife that she read Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories. A huge tome, but very scientifically based and well referenced. It convinced me.
    Tabues book is excellent for this and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for referencing it marthat.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Lando is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'll definitely be ordering Taubes' book.

As a follow up question: Is it normal to experience some queasiness at the beginning?

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'll definitely be ordering Taubes' book.

As a follow up question: Is it normal to experience some queasiness at the beginning?
    Gary Taubes' books are awesome. Good Calories, Bad Calories is very science dense, and Why We Get Fat is a much more user friendly version for us non-scientist types (that book was so full of light bulb moments for me).

Yes, queasiness is very normal. It's known as "carb flu" and it will pass, usually after a few days. Increasing your sodium intake can help during the adjustment period.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post

And the results in my own body and my health convinced me. But it's hard to go against the establishment line, especially professionally.
    I'm about 100 pages through GCBC (all of the fat heart hypothesis section) and it's really made me mad that the people that called themselves scientists (along with the media and the politicians) convinced Americans to *radically* alter their diet with no real conclusive proof that they would benefit from it. Since most of these people also claimed to be Doctors, that they seemed to forget "First, do no harm." That's one of the hugs points Taubes makes that hit home for me -- that blindly recommending all these changes with very little proof of benefit was bad enough...but that these changes could also have negative effects that SHOULD have been consider and never were -- is doubly maddening.

You are right, though, GCBC is a dense book to read -- and I consider myself to be pretty well read/techy/scientific.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Tabues book is excellent for this and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for referencing it marthat.
    or start with Taubes' Why We Get Fat which is a quicker read...