Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning Fruit page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Canning Fruit

Primal Fuel
    We are looking at getting into canning to make use of seasonal fruits year-round.

Many canning 'recipes' call for added sugar or for a syrup. Is this for taste or is it for the actual canning process? Is it okay to can fruit (my TW used peaches as an example) in regular tap water?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    I have been wondering the exact same thing. I want to stew/poach the peaches, figs etc and then bottle them, without the sugar, maybe adding a bit of vanilla bean. I have googles it but all the recipes add sugar. Can anyone help?
    Life. Be in it.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    You can can fruit without sugar. I have some recipes at home somewhere. Let me see what I can find.

Also, look up "mustard fruits." It's an Italian tradition that I'm looking at starting. It seems tasty.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    The sugar is typical part of a sugar syrup and I was under the impression that is part of the preservation process. (I don't really understand and I could be mistaken). I do know you can use honey.
    I know you can pickle fruit in a brine (which is rather delicious) but probably not what you are looking for.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Here you go .... Canning without Sugar
    The font on the website is irritating but it seems to be up to date with the latest canning standards.
    Skimming through the section on canning without sugar looked interesting. Hope this helps!
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    I can use that, thanks girl architect.

Now I must wait for the figs.
    Life. Be in it.

Canning is essentially vacuum-sealing: remove the air, preserve the food. Sugar would be what bacteria would feed on if the jars did not properly seal, so no, it's not necessary.

It's not difficult, either. If I can do it, anyone can do it...

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Hint for awesome preserved figs - vanilla. Add the flesh of real vanilla pods or use a high-quality vanilla extract in your cooking mix to give your figs a heavenly touch. I've found preserving for the freezer works better than canning for no-sugar, less-sugar canning. Sugar is a very effective preservative, and if you don't use sugar or salt, your canned good will not last as long in the pantry. If you have a cool basement or cellar, that's the best place to store home-canned goods. But I don't have one. I'd say from my experience, regular sugar-added canned fruits will last a couple years in a regular pantry. With less or no sugar, they last half that time without darkening.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    You can can fruit without sugar. I have some recipes at home somewhere. Let me see what I can find.
    Diana, that would be great. Thanks.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I've wanted to try a bunch of recipes from this blog: Punk Domestics | Preserving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast