Thread: Going Primal in the Philippines page

Jaixom is offline Junior Member

Going Primal in the Philippines

Hi guys, was just wondering if there were any Groksters here from the Philippines or living in the Philippines? I'm going back for my annual Summer vacay tomorrow to see family and relax for a coupla weeks and was wondering how to stay Primal when the Filipino diet has A LOT of rice, and there still really isn't any easy way to guarantee that the meats you're buying are organic or free range or what as it's still not a major concern in poorer countries like the Philippines.

Oh and anyone have a good source for non-solvent refined coconut oil to be bought IN the Philippines? I know the main brands in the US use Philippine-sourced coconut oil.

winterzodiac is offline Junior Member
    This is a very late response, but I moved to Davao, Philippines from the US a few months ago. Been doing low/moderate carb for a while before finally going primal last month.

-Filipinos eat tons of rice, but traditionally it is with some sort of meat/veggie dish. Just forgo the rice altogether. Mmm Lechon Manok...
    -Eat fresh fruit, but depending on your weight loss/carb intake goals avoid starches like potatoes and ube, avoid high sugar content bananas, mangos and pineapples. Drink Buko (coconut) juice, eat fresh coconuts, cook with coco milk.
    - Seafood is always fresh & cheap, there is no organic/grass fed/free range-type meats (or if there are it is definitely not labeled as such) so I would just buy from a wet market rather than the supermarket, because the supermarket gets shipped frozen meats. At the wet market at least you know its local (no refrigeration used). Trim away the fat and add oil/butter when cooking. Make your own ground meats.

Filipinos now also eat lots of SAD junk food (instant noodles, canned meats, cookies, soda, etc.) just avoid the processed food that are becoming standard parts of the filipino diet. The affect of these foods are very obvious, as there is a much higher rate of obesity in children than years ago where the family ate rice with every meal, but with protein and veggies and lots of fresh fruit. My sister is only six but eats instant noodles (pancit) or canned corned beef, beef loaf, or hotdogs with rice for every meal. Her parents eat rice w/ fresh meats and veggies for themselves but she prefers the garbage food so thats what her mom cooks. She is 6 and already is overweight and has cellulite on her stomach and legs. I've tried to explain to my stepmother that she can't eat all that processed food and rice that its so unhealthy, but they just don't get it. My stepmother thinks that she is healthy because she doesn't use oil when she cooks that garbage for her. UGGGHH. I want my sister to avoid the CW exercise and diet that plagued me since high school. Its no fun being overweight...the other kids aren't mean to her now, but I know high school and college were not fun and my weight affected my social life big time.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
    HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
    SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
    CW: 155 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    What part of the Philippines? I know I've been talking to a friend of mine, based in Makati, who said a more natural diet is trending (from the last time I talked with him)

winterzodiac, I didn't now that the industrialization reached that far south. Rather sadly interesting, to be honest. Give me that old-time sisig, with a sweet potato...
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Im in the Philippines right now...

you can order organic/biodynamic meat and veg, raw milk and kefir from downtoearth.ph

get stuck into a Bulalo Soup... Beef Shank type cut in beef broth. You won't leave hungry!

winterzodiac is offline Junior Member
    wow, that company seems great, too bad they only deliver to Metro Manila. Certain cuts of beef/pork are priced similarly to the wet market.

It makes sense that places like Metro Manila and Cebu will have healthier options and better labeling/marketing that appeals to international communities and also higher incomes. Expats and Filipinos who have traveled internationally have a different understanding of product labeling, healthy eating and working out. Having only spent time in Davao, GenSan and Cagayan de Oro, it is difficult to find proper labeling. I don't doubt that there are foods available that are organic or grass fed, I just don't think there is big demand for that in Mindanao. Mindanao is still old school: work, eat, socialize w/friends & family. There is limited time or budget for activities, exercise, sports. I think maybe 2-3% of people I know in Davao go to the gym, jog/run or play sports regularly and watch what they eat in some way. The people that do are from "wealthier families" and have spent time outside of the Philippines. I think that lack of awareness about what you are ingesting and fitness is still a cultural thing at this point. As Mindanao becomes more global, and wealth grows, there will be a shift.
    Winterzodiac F, 31, 5'2"
    HW: 230lbs (approx), size 22
    SW Paleo: 155lbs (7/31/12)
    CW: 155 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs/Sz 10 and to fit into a cute Halloween costume this year!

My Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63367.html

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    downtoearth.ph also deliver all around the philippines! call or email them!