Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our local crossfit is promoting tofu as a primal/paleo food - thoughts? page 2

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sounds like it's time to find a new box.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Some crossfitters are worse than religious zealots when it comes to dogma and hubris. Run away. Run very far away.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that tofu is on RW's list of things that'll kill you dead. He might hate it less than gluten but that's about the only good thing to say about it.

I used to eat tons of soy. I thought it was a great source of protein. It was a major part of my diet for over a decade. I stopped when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I don't know if they're related but if not, it's a scary coincidence.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I'm pretty sure that tofu is on RW's list of things that'll kill you dead. He might hate it less than gluten but that's about the only good thing to say about it.

I used to eat tons of soy. I thought it was a great source of protein. It was a major part of my diet for over a decade. I stopped when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I don't know if they're related but if not, it's a scary coincidence.
    I stopped when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Don't care if it is correlation or causation, I'm erring on the side of caution.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We had no idea that Crossfit had such a bad reputation. They promote the paleo diet on their website but clearly its their own subverted version. I think they're trying to attract more vegan members by broadening the definition of 'paleo'. I sent them an email to ask them the source of their information but got no response. They promote tofu but they're also against grassfed butter?! I asked them about that too. Yeah - will stay away from all soy.

The White Lion

Yeah I think they're trying to attract the vegan crowd to their gym.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    That's weird, but I guess every box is different. Mine promotes paleo and would never promote tofu. actually they dont speak that much about nutrition, which is ideal.

kepo is offline Junior Member
    Many of the people who have had great influence on crossfit and crosfitters (Rob Wolf, Rippetoe to name a few) are no longer affiliated with crossfit. Each case is different but it stems from crossfit evolving there philosophy on certain aspects of diet and exercise (whether good or bad, who am I to say? except I side with the ousted). The fact that you found MDA shows you don't follow the herd.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLionBakingCo View Post
    We had no idea that Crossfit had such a bad reputation.
    I wouldn't say they have a bad reputation.

I think overall Crossfit is great, and it's so much better than your typical Globo Gym that it is not even close.

That being said, each box is different, the one I visited never even mentioned diet, whereas I have friends who are now 100% Paleo/Primal due to their experiences and knowledge gained at their box.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think Crossfit has a bad rep either. Some of their followers however.....
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast