Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great article for the ladies who might be afraid to "lift heavy things" page 2

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree, that was an awesome post on nerdfitness. I will share it with my wife.

@Leida: I had a similar experience with trying to gain muscle. About a year ago, I tried to add some muscle and keep my diet low-carb so I added a good bit of fat to my diet (coconut milk, heavy cream, etc.) and I ended up gaining more fat than muscle. Have you given Leangains a try? Adding lots of carbs to my post-workout meal while keeping fat intake low has worked really well for me.

I also have been having good success with the 5/3/1 program. I think the deload weeks are crucial for progressing once you get near your maxes.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Awesome article! I want to be this chick. Gonna share it with friends. I'm trying to convince my sister to do something closer to primal eating. She's a recovering anorexic (or former, I don't know what she thinks about that). She is doing Jillian Michaels DVDs everyday and is not gaining an ounce of muscle. She and my mom still think that I need grains though [[rolls eyes]] and are trying to push quinoa.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I am doing LG for at least 14 hours at least 5 days a week and stagger my calories!

I used to have 1 serving of grain after each workout (buckwheat and millet), but I stopped when I went AD etc. I keep increasing fats because it is said to keep hunger at bay and everyone keeps screaming at me: ADD FAT, ADD FAT, ADD FAT!!!! So, I am eating like a slice of bacon every day after coming home while cooking dinner & try to cook with butter (yuk). I just started having sweet potatoes on Saturdays (after 3 days of lifting with 1 day recovery). Should I catually cut back on fat then? I just don't get it with fat. Some people want me to have 60% from fat, some tell me to drop it. Confused.

I am planning to try 5/3/1 after I do this combinational kettlebell+ 3x5/madcow lifting combo. Thing is I really miss kettlebells and they train me very differently (dynamic, get different mucule groups), and I was not recovering when I was lifting 3x and doing 1 KB workout (and Zumba, and swimming, and running.... DUH!!!)

EDIT: My lowest period was when I was waking up at 3:15 am to do 30 Day Shred & yoga before work. Taught a bootcamp at lunch. And went for a run after work. And I was whining: I do 3 hours of hard-core work a day, I can barely get off the couch, and I am not loosing weight, woe is me!!!! I should run 4x a week!!!! I cannot believe it....
    Last edited by Leida; 07-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Should I catually cut back on fat then? I just don't get it with fat. Some people want me to have 60% from fat, some tell me to drop it. Confused.
    Yes, if you really want to give Leangains a try, your post-workout meal must be low in fat and high in carbs. I tried doing like you say you are doing (adding a small amount of starch PWO, but keeping my diet high in fat) and it did not work well at all.

It's not just the fasting and calorie-cycling, the carb/fat ratios of your meals must also fluctuate. For some good examples of post-workout meals, check out ChocoTacos 72 hours carb refeed thread. Personally, I just eat a few pounds of potatoes and a pound or so of lean meat as the basis of my post-workout meals. If you want, you can have a higher fat/lower carb meal later in the day, but your PWO meal should be really high carb and really low fat with a good amount of protein.

High fat is great for losing weight and maintaining muscle, but in my experience, it is not the best for building muscle.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 07-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Nice! I love LG, I really do, but getting info from that website is like pulling teeth. If you have a handy link on the ratios he recommends, I will be so very greatful! I have read his basic article on the meal scheduling, and I find it wonderful, but I didn't catch the ratios.

I don't remember seeing any macronutrient ratios either. I would guess for the post-workout meal, 70/20/10, P/C/F (as calories, not grams). I almost never track, but I think I get ~250g of carbs, 100g protein, and maybe 20g of fat (the fat is from the meat since even really lean meat has some fat; I add no fat at all to my PWO meals). Really, I just aim to get a nice sized portion of meat, a LARGE amount of carbs and as little fat as possible.

Sorry for threadjacking!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Spezzy is awesome.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Sorry about hijacking as well, and yay for Staci!

And thank you, yodiewan. I think I will try exactly what Staci does - sweet potato post-training with a can of tuna baked with egg-whites for a load of protein.

Sounds good Leida. Give carbs + low fat protein PWO a shot and let us know how it goes.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I really like this link as well -- scroll down to see why:

Attention Scale Addicts! part 2 | Primitive Stimulus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast