Thread: Beef del monico with green peppercorn sauce page

davem is offline Senior Member

Beef del monico with green peppercorn sauce

Shop Now
    Hurrah! Hurrah! (torpedo)

This neat little dish is straight up as primal as I get. Ever go to a nice steakhouse and have Steak au poivre? Well, this is a milder rendition that uses green peppercorns, and I've paired it with my favorite steak preparation which is Del Monico.

Ingredients:
    1 steak (you know what you like, for this though, I like leaner beef, or going full monty with the ribeye)
    2-4T Butter
    2 tsp. green peppercorns (I used brined in a jar)
    1 oz. Half and Half
    1/2 oz. Bourbon
    Salt
    White Pepper (go light, it's a little powerful stuff)
    Olive oil

Prep:
    Drain you peppercorns. Salt both sides of your steak and sprinkle one side with white pepper. Let all ingredients come to room temp if you have time.

Method:
    In a thick pan melt your butter over medium and start to brown it. Once it begins to brown add a small squirt of olive oil to stabilize the butter and prevent it from burning. Once ready place the steak in, white pepper side down. Sprinkle the unpeppered side with a light dusting of white pepper. Sear the steak on one side, flip and add the green peppercorns to the pan. Sear bottom side and cook steak to preferred level of doneness, while stirring the peppercorns from time to time to keep them from burning. When the steak is done, remove it to a plate, and cook the peppercorns for a little longer. Add in bourbon and half and half. Stir well and let it start to reduce to a nice thick sauce. When it's reduced, add the steak back in, marry together and serve with the sauce on top.

Makes one steak, because I don't share unless you're hot. (It's been a loooooong work day.)

You can make this as fatty or skinny as you want. Some mods are:
    Add shallots and carmelize. Change from bourbon to white or red wine, or even apple cider vinegar. Add in some chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or oregano. You can crush up the peppercorns prior to adding them to the pan to get a slightly milder flavor. You could use black peppercorns. You could use other meats. Use cream instead of half and half. Integrate pureed foie gras as a mont. Etc.

Cooking the peppercorns makes them milder, if using black peppercorns, cook them for a little longer first, it kills the heat.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

tsd
    tsd is offline Member
    made this last night, pretty awesome

davem is offline Senior Member
    Great to hear!

I was thinking of making it again soon. Were you able to easily find the green peppercorns?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.