Thread: General guidelines? page

ottercat is offline Senior Member

General guidelines?

Primal Fuel
    My DH has agreed to try Primal Blueprint, but he refuses to read the book. I made up a page of general guidelines for him.......... would you guys be so kind as to give it a look and give me some feedback? THANKS in advance, I really appreciate it

------------------------------------------------------
    1. Eat as much as you want of
    a. Animals
    b. Vegetables
    c. Eggs
    d. Herbs and spices
    e. Fats and cholesterol (i.e. butter, coconut oil, olive oil)

2. OK to eat, but don’t over-indulge in
    a. Milk and cheese
    b. Fermented dairy (real yogurt, not “Yoplait”, etc.)
    c. Nuts (tree nuts, not peanuts)
    d. Fruits
    e. Some starch, i.e. potatoes, yams, white rice
    f. Natural sweeteners

3. Avoid
    a. Grains (wheat, corn, soy, oats, etc.)
    b. Legumes (peanuts, beans, soy, peas, lentils, etc.)
    c. Sugar (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc.)
    d. Artificial coloring/flavoring
    e. Artificial sweeteners (Splenda, aspartame, etc.)
    f. Processed foods, preservatives, etc.
    g. Trans fats, hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated fats
    h. Seed oils (i.e. canola, cottonseed, “vegetable”, soybean)

4. Exercise (in addition to whatever you enjoy doing)
    a. Lift heavy 2x per week, big compound lifts, ~20 minutes
    Suggestions:
    i. Pushups
    ii. Bench Press
    iii. Pull-ups
    iv. Dumbell rows
    v. Military Press
    vi. Planks
    vii. Deadlifts
    viii. Good mornings
    ix. Squats
    x. Lunges
    b. Sprint (using legs) 1x per week
    c. Don’t do cardio for the sake of cardio

5. Exceptions
    a. Sports drink after workout [note: the "Avoid" section looks like his entire diet, I thought I could put in this one exception....... after all, I myself am a hopeless diet pepsi addict]
    b. Aim for 80% compliance
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Not bad, the "move slowly" comes naturally as you get in better shape so I guess you can leave it out.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Good list
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I like it. Maybe get him to give coconut water a try after a workout instead of the sports drink?

I know, I know, but it's worth a shot, and he might like it. It's actually becoming "trendy" now, much to my chagrin.

But all in all, I think it's a great list.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Change "Avoid" to "Toxic".

Sports drinks are terrible for you. Any possible gain is likely negated by the huge sugar content. There are many things that he could have instead.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Re. milk and dairy - add that it's not to be zero or low fat!

If he works at a desk encourage him to stand or walk around frequently.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the input!

I figured I'd let him have some gatorade after he works out bc the rest of his diet is on the "Avoid" list and I don't want to make him sad: Carnation instant breakfast for breakfast, conventional yogurt cups, nutri-grain bars, chips, and goldfish crackers for snacks, lunch meat in flour tortillas for lunch... but dinner is primal!

Before we got married he used to eat Healthy Choice frozen dinners every night because he's "healthy and the box says 'Healthy' on it" *headdesk*. I tried swapping out his poisonous yogurt drinks for homemade kefir and he said the texture was gross. I refilled the nut jar with mixed nuts and he went out and bought a huge thing of peanuts. Sometimes he gets those milk & cereal bars bc they have more vitamins than the organic granola bars.

On the plus side, he hates low-fat milk, eats pretty much any vegetable I prepare and if I manage to make enough dinner that there are leftovers, he sometimes takes those for lunch.

I haven't been sprinting lately so we were talking about playing racquetball once a week. I don't want to lose my awesome anaerobic cardio bc it's too painful to go back =D. Fortunately he's a pretty active guy and up for anything so we can ski or skate during lunch when it gets cold, too. Plus he swims about 6 hours a week, which I think counts toward the "move slowly".

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, I'll definitely put in the full-fat dairy part, that'll make him happy.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Get him to go along with what he can for now. His food/drink will naturally clean up over time and he won't even want that nasty ol' Gatorade thing anymore. (But don't tell him that!) If I had to be perfect on day 1, I would have been gone a long time ago. Stress the 80% part, so he doesn't feel like the diet police are closing in on him. Over time, you'll find that even that tightens up. Your taste buds change. (But don't tell him that!)

In the beginning, I was doing my own stylized version of this Primal thing, what I called "Primal + Pepsi." I remember telling a friend, "Yep, so I'm doing this hunter-gatherer thing...." and stopping to take a long swig of my liquid crack. I'm sure my friend thought (knew?) I was crazy! Fast forward, and my food is ridiculously clean, I'm off even dairy, I'm down 70 pounds, and the thought of Pepsi makes me gag. I'm not even sure when or how it happened.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I think if you try to push him to far he'll just dig in his heels and go back to SAD. It sounds like you've got a great plan!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com