Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: family doctor, new to forum page 3

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It is definitely nice to see medical professionals on here. I look forward to hearing your opinion (as well as others') on some of the topics on the board.

Welcome aboard Doc!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

dr_mike is offline Junior Member
    thanks everyone for the warm welcome! what a great group of people on this forum!

loves walking is offline Member
    dr_mike: Is there any special advice that you give your patients when you tell them to follow the primal blueprint. After all you said they have all had great success. thanks for any help you can give.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    If only more docs were like you! It must take courage to publicly break with the party line. I've heard that "vitamin doc" is a pejorative in your profession. If only the insulting label were "big pharma doc" instead!

The government subsidizes the least healthy food on the planet, refined products made from corn, soy, and wheat, purposefully engineered for taste appeal to overcome internal resistance to overeating. (The more of it people eat, the more of it they'll buy.) Then they protect Big Pharma, the health insurance scam (pardon, "industry"), and increasingly they will have to subsidize ineffective lifelong treatments for the obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease and statin (and other drug) damage which they themselves encouraged. There's not enough money in the whole world to keep on doing this.
    Last edited by piano-doctor-lady; 07-27-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loves walking View Post
    dr_mike: Is there any special advice that you give your patients when you tell them to follow the primal blueprint. After all you said they have all had great success. thanks for any help you can give.
    I have had many patients who have had success. I wish I can say they "all" take the advice. I would say about half of my patients are open to the ideas. however, many of them don't want to significantly change their lives because of the initial commitment involved. I usually approach them when they follow up after recent blood work that may have demonstrated evidence of insulin resistance and high triglycerides/cholesterol, etc. My advice to them is that they have the power within themselves to become well, if they so choose. often times you can see a light bulb go on when I explain why they are obese and feeling the way they are. and it's not just the patients with metabolic syndrome issues. I have seen it help people with inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. I have also been recommending it to people with "functional" problems (problems for which medical science has little to offer, eg fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc.) a good percentage of these folks do better with changes in nutrition. unfortunately, there are still many who would rather just take a pill to "solve" their problem. however, I feel that if I at least plant some seeds, they will know where to go if they want to change in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    If only more docs were like you! It must take courage to publicly break with the party line. I've heard that "vitamin doc" is a pejorative in your profession. If only the insulting label were "big pharma doc" instead!

The government subsidizes the least healthy food on the planet, refined products made from corn, soy, and wheat, purposefully engineered for taste appeal to overcome internal resistance to overeating. (The more of it people eat, the more of it they'll buy.) Then they protect Big Pharma, the health insurance scam (pardon, "industry"), and increasingly they will have to subsidize ineffective lifelong treatments for the obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease and statin (and other drug) damage which they themselves encouraged. There's not enough money in the whole world to keep on doing this.
    I completely agree. I mentioned the saying earlier, "follow the money". The FDA, which is an agent of Big Pharma and Big Agra, has made our lives unhealthy and turned millions of people into chronic patients who need chronic medications. and as we get sicker, they outlaw things which individuals should have the right to decide to put in their bodies, like raw milk. as we see more and more government involvement in our healthcare, these problems will only get worse. my goal is to eventually work outside of the system, when I have the resources to do so.

tbaxter is offline Junior Member
    Hey, Dr. Mike. I just joined yesterday. I'm also a family physician - in Upstate New York (Elmira). Just read The Paleo Solution and The Primal Blueprint. No interest in the status quo here - I loved what I read and immediately jumped in with both feet. Have dropped enough weight in a month that several patients are noticing and asking "how'd you do it?" Gives an easy segue to talk about it, although it makes staying on schedule a little tougher! Glad to know there's more than one of us here. Hopefully our colleagues can be won over the same way, by simply seeing the changes in us (yup, I know - dare to dream...).

See you on the boards!!
    TB

Hey TB, it's great to meet you. welcome. it's certainly refreshing to see other physicians coming on board. You're absolutely right. if we can't convince our colleagues via debate, perhaps our mere example will be a shining light.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Hi TB. You and Dr. Mike provide a lot of hope for the future. It's great to see two physicians who understand how the unwholesome triangle between big pharma, big agri, and the government is making people sick.

Actually, make that three. I was fortunate to find a doctor around here who really gets the connection between diet and health. He got me off of sugar, corn, and soy back in the 1990s, though I never took his advice to also avoid wheat until starting primal a few weeks ago. Now I realize just how right he has been all along on the wheat issue.

I hope we will hear some patient success stories from both of you, and hope even more to hear some stories of your colleagues becoming convinced.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaxter View Post
    Hey, Dr. Mike. I just joined yesterday. I'm also a family physician - in Upstate New York (Elmira). Just read The Paleo Solution and The Primal Blueprint. No interest in the status quo here - I loved what I read and immediately jumped in with both feet. Have dropped enough weight in a month that several patients are noticing and asking "how'd you do it?" Gives an easy segue to talk about it, although it makes staying on schedule a little tougher! Glad to know there's more than one of us here. Hopefully our colleagues can be won over the same way, by simply seeing the changes in us (yup, I know - dare to dream...).
    See you on the boards!!
    TB
    This sounds like a perfect opportunity to put together a little flyer...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast