Thread: Exercise induced coughing page

eelnus is offline Senior Member

Exercise induced coughing

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else get really bad coughs after working out hard?

So apparently i have exercise induced asthma, which I never knew I had because I never worked out this hard before. I did grow up with hay fever when I lived in Ohio, but that went away when I moved to the NW. I do still have allergies, which has improved since eating PB. Apparently asthma and allergies are related and they are an infammatory disease. So I am now realizing how sensitive I am to wheat, gluten, sugar, and dairy.
    So now I know I have to get really strict with my eating. I was eating whey protein shakes, but i think I will need to give that up. And because I don't have celiac or get stomach pains from wheat, there were times I would let a little bit slide if it was in things. But now I am going to do my best to get rid of infammation.

Anywone else have issues...what have you tried to cure it?

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    I've battled with asthma for as long as I can remember. Mine also manifested in coughing fits after strong exertion. When I got older I was able to forgo the inhaler but poor diet and poor exercise regimen left me quite a mess. When I picked activity back up with primal eating and exercise I also bought a bike and started riding that around. Since I've been primal I have much fewer coughing fits and I am slowly improving.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    I have exercise induced asthma for years but didn't even know. I was into cycling for a while and one day went riding in a bunch that had a doctor in it. At the end of a long ride through some cold mountains she asked me where my ventolin was. I was a bit puzzled and asked why would I need a ventolin. She looked at me as if I was a bit dumb and said, "For your asthma"

I still get it now if I exercise in the cold air but I don't worry about it too much.

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Ditto! I still occasionally get that hacky cough after a tough cardiovascular workout. I have exercise induced asthma and use an inhaler when I work out. BUT I use it a lot less now that I've been Primal for a while. I really do think that inflammation from wheat/grains played a big part in my breathing issues.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Definitly be 100 percent strict with grains. My only (external) symptom of celiac was a chronic cough that got worse with exercise.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    yep i just discovered i have had this for years as well. just getting over a case of bronchitis brought on by it. my doctor gave me an albuterol inhaler.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

stryker902 is offline Junior Member
    used to have exercise induced asthma when i was younger. same i got an inhaler for when it happened. usually only during summer near certain trees for me...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I cleared my lifelong asthma with EFT. I can dance like crazy now and have no problems.

Getting sufficient in vitamin D is supposed to help, too.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I am determined not to get an inhaler or medication. So today for lunch I ate a green salad with olive oil and salmon and took a fish oil supplement, which I had not done before. I worked out really hard today and I didn't get the coughs. So i think that eating a anti inflammatory diet will help. it's amazing how many things can be cured with food.

@dragonfly, I'll have to check out that EFT techniques for asthma. I use to use EFT for my nerves when auditioning and performing. But then I didn't need it anymore because I never got nervous again so it worked.

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    I've found that the Lift Heavy Things exercises don't aggravate my asthma at all. Before when I would try to exercise (chronic cardio) I wasn't able to work my muscles because I'd be hacking and coughing before they even really had a chance to stretch. But with LHT I can work to exhaustion no problem. Sprinting has gotten easier too.