Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Old Photos page 25

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    Does breastfeeding help the child wrt nutrition regardless of the mother's own nutritional state/deficiencies?
    No -- there was a case in the news about a vigilantly vegan French couple whose breastfed infant died of nutritional deficiencies.

I always found the Weston Price stuff fascinating. I remember finding it a couple years ago and posting on Facebook, because I've wondered ever since I was a kid how people didn't get cavities before toothbrushes were invented. Price found kids on native diets who actually had green slime on their teeth, so they obviously weren't brushing -- yet they had no cavities. Their teeth were perfect.

Of course, the response on Facebook was, "My great grandmother brushed her teeth with twigs" or something. Yeah, your great grandmother also had refined sugar.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Wow, it's hard to find pictures of yourself that show off your bone structure!! Especially when you wear glasses lol. This is a really old photo and the only one I could find where I'm not wearing glasses.

Anyway, I'm posting this because having a "strong jaw" doesn't mean that you aren't exhibiting a bone structure resulting from nutritional deficiency. My mom and I both have very pronounced jaws, especially depending on what angle you take the photo from. But I have:

- Vision problems
    - Wisdom teeth removed
    - Two sets of braces
    - Had to wear a mouth device to correct an underbite
    - TMJ

And if I don't wear my 10-year-old retainer from my last set of braces, my teeth go right back to crooked-ville.

However, there's an article on the WAPF website that has these two images at the end, with the following caption:

These two beautiful girls were born to mothers whose nutrition had not been optimal during their growing years. However, they were able to reverse the trend of physical degeneration by eating a rich diet during pregnancy and by feeding their daughters whole, nutrient-dense foods including animal protein, whole milk products, butter, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and cod liver oil. This diet allowed these girls to reach their optimum genetic potential. Both mothers had crowded teeth, while these two girls have naturally straight teeth, needing no orthodontics.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Something that I've noticed on ds - his eye teeth have come in...and they came in just outside his middle 4 teeth (top and bottom) I think his pallet is changing w/the increase in protein/fat now that' he's eating more solids and getting more variety, he's suddenly discovered a love of Kale! I've also noticed dd's teeth seem to now have more room as well. I guess we'll see how things change when they start loosing teeth and the permanent set comes in!!!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Love reviving an old thread! ;o)

Stumbled upon a website today that made me remember this thread. It associates women with a well developed jaw (a sign of health) with natural beauty. For example:

Dd_1202045937_thumbnail.jpg

compared to...

vertic.jpg

Heres some other examples of a well developed face... ESPECIALLY the JAW...

12-06-2003lllllll5d_1296641696_thumbnail.jpg

187_7591_big_1281730729_thumbnail.jpg

angelina-jolie.jpg

Last edited by ozbuckley; 03-24-2012 at 05:57 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Elaine, I think I missed reading the last page of this thread. If you're still here, you have great wide teeth on top! I wonder if your problem was entirely your lower set of teeth? Braces can't make a wide palate like it appears you have.

I think myopia is diet-related. I've stopped it in my children, and am still amazed that it worked. Other problems, like amblyopia, etc., I think are likely related more to parental diet, but that's just a guess; I haven't researched it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    BTW, i finally got round to buying Dr. Cate's book and have started to read it. Very interesting and very relevant to this thread.

Amazon.com: Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food (9780615228389): Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan: Books

She's interesting on women's body shapes as well as people's faces. IIRC, she says that only about 10% of women now have the the true "hourglass" figure. And this is the "proper" figure biologically speaking! IOW, what's normal is now no longer common. It's not just where fat is deposited -- though women who deposit fat on the stomach, as men do, are at medical risk -- it's a matter of bone growth. If hormone-signalling gets messed up, then the pelvis doesn't get the signal to grow as wide as it should. (Incidentally, one assumes this is likely to lead to problems giving birth, more Caesarian sections, and so on.)

What messes up female hormones? Excessive carbohydrate consumption and eating vegetable fats and oils, she says.

But I expect certain "Schools" of Public Health -- bearing their sponsors in mind -- are still pushing low-fat diets. Well, the public will just have to educate itself, ignore the "healthy eating" messages, and go it's own way as the science becomes known through less controllable means such as the internet and book sales.

Dr. Cate also gives more interesting detail on 2nd Sibling Syndrome. Apparently, in a first pregnancy, a foetus strips out nutrients from its mother's body at such a rate -- and hence postpartum depression, etc. -- that, if a nutritionally unprepared mother has a second pregnancy too soon, the same scenario cannot be repeated. Effectively, the first pregnancy goes as far as to risk a nutritionally unprepared mother's health; if that were repeated after she'd been depleted by the first birth it would probably literally kill the mother. Not a good "survival strategy" for the baby or mother in evolutionary terms.
    Last edited by Lewis; 03-26-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

rossdh is offline Junior Member
    Thought you guys may find these photos interesting. The first one is my great great great Grandfather on my mother's side. He is German and was a farmer.

421966_10100099130783298_1204726903_n.jpg

The second one is my great grandfather on my father's side. He is Scottish and was a farmer, blacksmith and stone mason.

427070_998537825418_401216868_n.jpg

-Ross

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that top picture shows a jaw and a half. You can tell without him opening his mouth that he never would have needed braces, and that all his wisdom teeth fit.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425