Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Old Photos page 24

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    i thought about this thread when we were watching that old James Bond Sean Connery movie Thunderball the other nite -- the girls all had really wide hips & narrow waists. I had always thought that maybe it was out of the ordinary, that maybe it was all done with corsets.

Because no matter how much weight i lose & i really don't think i could lose much more at 5'4", sub 120lb, i'm never gonna look like that. Because of genetics or worn out dna or whatever, i've got narrow hips.

is the bettie page/60's ideal just a freakish thing or was that how all ladies used to look (my skinny hipped mother excepted, of course!)
    Some of that was the fashionable ideal at the time as well--the women in films tend to meet with the idea of sexy that's most prevalent at a given time (you can also see this in the variation in women's body types in portraiture over time). My mother was an extremely healthy young woman who ate a very good diet--my grandmother fed her children along the guidelines she learned in nursing school in the 1930s and put lots of eggs and meat on her table along with loads of vegetables--but she was in despair through her teens because she had so few curves compared to her Canadian schoolmates (my grandparents immigrated while my grandmother was expecting my mother).

Interestingly, though, in photos of her as a young woman, she still seems to have a good waist-to-hip ratio, unlike the boyish models now, although she was much thinner than the 60s ideal you see in the old Bond films. My grandmother was also slim and fine boned, as are all my aunts and also my great-grandmother in her photos, so I believe some of it is genetic variation. But all of them had stronger facial features than you see in a lot of people now, even with being slimmer and lighter than average.

I inherited a more robust, mesomorphic build from my father's side. I have mixed feelings about this. It's hard being naturally taller and bigger when you come from a family of naturally very slim, petite women. Even when I'm at my leanest, I still feel enormous in comparison.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    well what can you do? gotta make the most of what you got. Being a shorty myself, sometimes i wish i were a couple of inches taller b/c it would make buying bikes a lot easier. Not that i need any more bikes!

i was thinking of this thread/forum the other nite when my husband & i went to a kyuss show. I don't usu go anywhere except work, WF, and ride my bike. So i guess i honestly don't go out "amongst the masses" very much.

i was completely shocked at how LARGE and UNHEALTHY most of the crowd appeared to be. I think it's because nearly everyone was in a uniform of jeans & black concert tee. The sameness of the dress made everyone's shapes stand out. WOW! And for the most part (my husband & i were only a few of the oldsters there), they are all young. The future did not look bright. But the show was good.

Jennerator is offline Member
    My mother always tells me that her mom and her grandma didn't have any cellulite at all.
    But it was different for my mom and she swears its because she grew up eating sugary cereals and processed foods which had begun to be widely available.
    And it was sort of a testament to the modernization of american society that there was so much processed food available with minimal effort required to prepare it, so her family embraced it.
    Then along comes baby me, my mom clued in to nutrition so I mostly ate home cooked meals growing up but there was still bread and sugar in the house sometimes.
    It wasn't until later that she realized the impact diet has and she's convinced the reason I have cellulite is that I inherited it from her who had it triggered by poor diet in her childhood. (plus a less than optimal diet for my childhood, but still an improvement of hers)
    Interesting, I wonder if cellulite really has increased? Is there less cellulite in traditional cultures?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Cellulite definitely seems to be tied in with diet. There are several threads on MDA mentioning causes; I can't remember what. Probably omega 6:3 ratios, among other things. Too many PUFAs, too few sat fats. Cellulite is made of fat, yet for some reason our society can't imagine that filling your body with artificial fat instead of real fat makes no difference in your fat!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    cellulite is b/c of the structure of the fat cells. I've read that in general, women have one type of structure & in general, men have another. Tho of course, not all women have cellulite. At that show i was at, i saw one particular rubenesque gal wearing a VERY short skirt & i was amazed at her lack of cellulite. I remember a few other girls of my acquaintance that i observed in bathing suits & they didn't have any cellulite either. JEALOUS! Those girls didn't eat particularly good food either, it seems like i remember them both being pasta & sugar junkies. But more potheads than drinkers, so maybe the alcohol has something to do with it.

I've noticed a slight reduction in my yuk upper thigh cellulite since losing 5 lbs and maybe if i could ever stop drinking, i could lose another 5 lbs & maybe the cellulite would go away, but overall to completely get rid of it, i think i would have to do some real focused gym type work & i hate gyms.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Cellulite definitely seems to be tied in with diet. There are several threads on MDA mentioning causes; I can't remember what. Probably omega 6:3 ratios, among other things. Too many PUFAs, too few sat fats. Cellulite is made of fat, yet for some reason our society can't imagine that filling your body with artificial fat instead of real fat makes no difference in your fat!
    My guess, after looking at pictures of 5-year-old McDonald's burgers, is that cellulite is related to trans fats, hydrogenated oil, etc. The fake fats. If they stay solid and don't break down at all over time, imagine what that does to your fat cells. That's why you can't get rid of it!

Jennerator is offline Member
    Cellulite is supposed to be genetic but I have a hard time imagining how it wouldn't be affected by diet

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I read in the book "Deep Nutrition" that cellulite is caused by poor connective tissue structure. Good bones and connective tissue are supported by eating lots of - you guessed it! - connective tissue and bone broths! Making broths with bones, joints, skin, and all the gristly parts gives our bodies the building blocks it needs to build and repair our own. Changing our diets to buy and eat boneless, skinless cuts of muscle meat only has deprived us all the minerals and other factors we need to maintain our "structure".

infinityphoenix is offline Junior Member
    A-ha! I have read Weston's work (ok, more like skimmed) and I was astonished! I probably read it when I was about 15 or 16 or so. As a young child, I wasn't fed fast food too often. It is interesting to note that my sister and I are 14 months apart and I seem to have the stronger face despite being younger, as I have less crowding in my mouth and have been able to keep a few of my wisdom teeth! Neither of us have any cavities (thank you genetics!)

Anyways, this thread is quite interesting, It will take me awhile to catch up.
    Last edited by infinityphoenix; 10-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.

gurleenkaur is offline Junior Member
    MamaGrok you look really stunning...

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast