Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Old Photos page 23

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm noticing her almost complete lack of wrinkles, except around her mouth. Smoother than many 50 year olds I know! Probably a life in the sun, at that - I'm currently leaning toward the theory that wrinkles are a result of skin that loses its nature due to excess omega 6's, and if sun plays a role, it's only if the skin is already damaged in that way.

Thx for the pic, awesome!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Wow, 121 years old! I think I have some good genes (my nanna is 95, her sister is 98 and both are still in great health, pop is 90 this year and his doc tells him "if something kills you in the next 10 years, it won't be old age," my other grandma is 87) but 121 is something else.

I am always thankful that my mother is super-wary of antibiotics. She worries about their overuse creating super bugs (she was a nurse), so we never, ever took them... if we got sick, we got better in time. I think I've taken one course of antibiotics in my entire life. I know so many people who've had real problems with chronic use of antibiotics... I did take birth control for years, which is less than ideal, but at least I missed the antibiotic thing!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i thought about this thread when we were watching that old James Bond Sean Connery movie Thunderball the other nite -- the girls all had really wide hips & narrow waists. I had always thought that maybe it was out of the ordinary, that maybe it was all done with corsets.

Because no matter how much weight i lose & i really don't think i could lose much more at 5'4", sub 120lb, i'm never gonna look like that. Because of genetics or worn out dna or whatever, i've got narrow hips.

is the bettie page/60's ideal just a freakish thing or was that how all ladies used to look (my skinny hipped mother excepted, of course!)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    i thought about this thread when we were watching that old James Bond Sean Connery movie Thunderball the other nite -- the girls all had really wide hips & narrow waists. I had always thought that maybe it was out of the ordinary, that maybe it was all done with corsets.
    I guess that's a complex thing, because you're noticing the size of the hips relative to the waist in the Bond movie. It's also an area where fat tends to be deposited in women, so it's not merely the bones in question.

According to the physical anthropologists, there's variation between populations:

A. The extreme linear stereotype would be found in the previously
    mentioned tall peoples of East Central Africa. These people are very tall and slender. The chests, shoulders, and hips are very narrow - the narrowest in the world for their height. The limbs are extremely long, especially the legs.

B. The extreme lateral stereotype would be found in some Asian and
    Native Americans. Eskimos, Japanese, Samoans, Apache, and many South American Indians exhibit lateral build. A few Caucasoid groups also approach lateral build, especially the peoples of northern Europe. Laterally built people tend to have long and broad trunks, with wider chests, shoulders and hips. The widest hips of all can be found in Europeans. The limb bones tend to be short and the legs make less of a contribution to overall height.

C. Allen's rule. One primary selective force acting on body build
    is Allen's rule:
    Animals living in colder climates should have shorter appendages
    and be more spherical than those living in warmer climates. This says that laterally built people should be found in colder climates and linearly built people in warm climates. This is true for humans on the average. The traditional comparison is between the Inuit and the Masai. The Inuit of the far north tend to be stocky with short arms and legs. The Masai of east africa tend to be very tall and slender, with long arms and legs.
    Lecture - Human Morphological Variation

If you've seen the old movie of Stewart Grainger as Allan Quartermain, you'll recall he's shorter but looks more muscular than some of the very tall tribesmen (probably Maasai: they look like them and some of the filming was in Kenya) used as extras in the film. It's striking just how long and thin their arms and legs are.

So, yeah, hip-width tends to go along with cold climates. Note also:

Higher Rates of C-Section Deliveries For Asian Mothers & White Fathers « Anthropology.net

You'd need accurate statistics on a population over time to see if pelvic width was being affected by the food supply (or other environmental factors). I don't know if those are available.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    This thread makes me feel a lot better about my square face compared to a lot of the more oval dainty Asian faces I'm friends with XD

azalivalko is offline Junior Member

Please remove this message

Please remove this message. it's spam!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I got all excited about finding a 25-year-old Scottish actor, Richard Madden, with what seems to be a strong jaw: (a jaw of steel, if you will)

But from other angles even he seems to have a slightly recessed/weak chin:

Facial hair definitely makes a difference. And that's why men should grow out beards!
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 09-06-2011 at 10:17 PM.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity - how old does someone have to be to make a good assessment of their facial structure? Can you look at a 4-year-old and guess, or do you need to wait until someone has reached adulthood?

I live in a neighborhood with a lot of vegan kids and see a lot of very pinched faces, but kid facial features are smaller all over, so maybe it's too soon? Not that I plan to judge the vegan kids. Just curious

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, you can tell. As Price noted, the features get more pronounced in puberty, but they're there even in babies. I keep seeing these 1 & 2 year olds with features that I have a hard time describing, but seem to go universally with lots of illness and allergies.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I don't claim to know much about the subject but the more I find out the more my opinion of the medical profession goes down. I mean (a) they're not generally looking for or finding serious gut conditions like that and (b) they seem far too ready to hand out antibiotics (and without warning the patient to take a probiotic), which we know can kill off good bacteria. Again a disclaimer—who am I?—but I do sometimes wonder if antibiotics really help that often and there must be some doubt as to whether they don't almost always also do some harm. (And if they do, then that's a heritable harm, since you acquire your flora from your mother.)
    I saw an article a few weeks ago (I think) on NPR's website that said antibiotics *permanently* damage your gut flora every time you take them. That's really scary. Then they beat around the bush talking about researching links between gut flora and health. Duh.

Great thread! So very interesting. Ever since I read some exerpts from Weston Price's book a few months ago I can't stop analyzing people's facial structures.

Also, there was a post way back about whether nutrition in the early years can help correct shortfalls in diet during pregnancy (with respect to facial structure) - I found a blogger a while back who has been trying to do just that with her toddler. Lots and lots of cod liver oil. I can't remember the site but I think she said it was working out well and has noticed that her dental arches are catching up, so to speak. It's anecdotal, but take it for what it's worth.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast