Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Photos page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    You didn't see that in the stud stars of past generations. James Dean, Cary Grant, Mel Gibson, Spencer Tracey, all have strong faces and shoulders.
    I noticed recently when watching The Wild Bunch what a strong face Ernest Borgnine has:

This is a different, longer, face shape and a different nose shape, too, but strong as well:

I guess faces like that are still around, albeit rugby's bent this nose—Mike Tindall:

Last edited by Lewis; 07-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    You don't even have to go back that far. Here's a Soul Train vid from the 70s. People were nice and thin. When I went to school in the 60s and 70s, fat kids were extremely rare. And what else? We weren't sitting in front of a computer all day. The obesity trend started in the 80s - that was 30 years ago y'all. Dang I miss disco and dance clubs...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to film taken in San Francisco in April 1906, just before the big earthquake. They strapped a camera to the front of a trolley and went the length of Market Street. Pretty interesting, whether you're looking for fitness levels or just curious about the time period.

60 Minutes 1906 Trolley Film Segment

ETA: Yeah, I see mostly lean people too, but I'm trying to look mostly at the men. During that era, the majority of city-dwelling women were wearing corsets, which is the same reason why you see women in the 1950s with extremely tiny waists compared to their hips and chest.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 07-26-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    You don't even have to go back that far. Here's a Soul Train vid from the 70s. People were nice and thin. When I went to school in the 60s and 70s, fat kids were extremely rare. And what else? We weren't sitting in front of a computer all day. The obesity trend started in the 80s - that was 30 years ago y'all. Dang I miss disco and dance clubs...
    to be fair i doubt they would have let any fat people on soul train. kind of like that dance show that used to be on mtv, full of beautiful thin people. nothing like what you see at actual dance clubs lol
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    That was great, RitaRose. My kids and I watched it the whole 11 minutes. Eleven minutes of everyday, boring old stuff, but so fascinating! Right at the crossroads of horse-drawn carriages & cars, too. Yes, the men were all very much lean. You can tell the women were, too, despite the heavy clothing - I've seen enough nuns to know the profile of a woman in a long, woolen dress who is lean versus one who is not. The corset only changes the waist part; you can still definitely tell the overall size of the person.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    to be fair i doubt they would have let any fat people on soul train. kind of like that dance show that used to be on mtv, full of beautiful thin people. nothing like what you see at actual dance clubs lol
    Well, okay. But thin now still doesn't equal the thin back in the day. Now even so-called thin folks look puffed up like a sugar pop!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post

Check out 1:07 (If you're old enough to remember Good Times). A couple of other not thin people, but not anything like you see today.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    A couple of years ago my partner and I went to Soap Lake in Washington and visited the historical society there. This lake has a very high mineral content and people go there to "take the waters" - it is very warm and healing. They had a lot of pictures up from the 1920's and 30's and almost everybody in the pictures was dressed in bathing attire. We noticed that while there were women of various levels of lean vs plump, NO WOMEN had a fat stomach or a muffin top - they were all gorgeously curved in at the waist, out at the hip - they had beautiful feminine figures, whatever their degree of plumpness. There was not a single obese person in the crowds. The adult women who were not obviously elderly all just looked like the glowing picture of health. (Was it the healing waters, or a diet free from industrially processed foods?)

When I see young women today, including my nieces who are about 20 years old, they have muffin top bellies. When I see the female college students out jogging near the university, they have belly fat even if they are not obese. They no longer have traditional feminine figures. I recommend you look up old pictures of people at the beach in bathing suits - see what you think - you will able to see their figures and you will be shocked at how much we have changed - even the folks who we wouldn't consider to be fat don't have healthy shapes

PS - LOVED the soul train thing.
    Hey, I found a site with 4 pages of beach photos from the 1900's - 1920's - I saw one fat man in the entire collection. Thousands of folks cavorting in their swim suits. Lots of very average looking people - no obesity. http://www.barnorama.com/beach-photos-from-the-past/
    Last edited by Barb; 07-27-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Hey, I found a site with 4 pages of beach photos from the 1900's - 1920's - I saw one fat man in the entire collection. Thousands of folks cavorting in their swim suits. Lots of very average looking people - no obesity. Beach Photos From The Past | Barnorama
    Very interesting. I wondered where this was and then noticed a sign in one of the images "Brady's Baths". If I google that I find a reference to a Brady's Baths in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Would that be where these—or some of them, at any rate—were taken, do you think?

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    There is only about 7 years between Angelina Jolie and Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashion. 1 generation. Not a lot of time really but you are right you do see the changes. But then Jennifer, is about the same age, but probably brought up on an American diet (but then she talks about being brought up on Greek food)

Angelina Jolie's mother was French, that may explain it as well. Different attitudes to nutrition, the french paradox etc.

We actually were not allowed a lot of sugar when younger. Mum always said 'sugar ruins the shape of your face'.

Interestingly, my husband is lean, looks great, and is a real clothes horse. He is self conscious because people say he is too thin, and he looks around and everyone is bigger. I have to tell him that he is normal, it is the others that have a problem.

My other half has returned to Ireland for some work and in our first skype he said I think you are right about food, everyone looks awful here (compared to Italy) he can say that he is Irish.

All you have to do is look around, and you know something is wrong, but the old pictures really bring it home.
    Life. Be in it.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast