Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Photos page 15

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    MamaGrok, You mentioned that you are now able to breath through your nose at night since eating primally.

I myself have trouble breathing through my nose at an stage of the day. How did eating primally allow the nose breathing for you?... i mean, has it allowed some sort of slight change in bone structure, or has it cleared up some nasal membrane infection (fungal), etc ?

I have a poor facial structure I think, basically a small head overall (especially for a 6'2" guy), ...Ive had to have bracers so I think my nose breathing obstructions are sourced from a poor facial development.

--

Has anyone got experience with Craniosacral therapy?... basically bodywork of the cranium

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    This is a really fascinating thread. I (born in the former Yugoslavia, 1985) never paid much attention to my face or head shape, except to get frustrated whenever shopping for hats, headbands and other accessories in North America - everything is invariably too small for what is apparently my huge cranium. A few years ago I was in France on a crowded terrace and these two women who were sitting next to me started chatting about my appearance, figuring I didn't understand French (they were wrong). The one was saying to the other that she can tell I'm "Yugoslavian" because my eyes were wide apart and I had a prominent forehead and cheekbones. From that day on I began slightly obsessing about my big giant head and wide-apart eyes but now yay for that not being a bad thing! Growing up on lard = win.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Worthington (35) looks great! English-born Aussie.

I'm not exactly sure when factory food processing began, but I know I was surprised to find out that Sherman burned several well-established, large clothing factories in Roswell, GA, so those, at least, had been established for several decades at that point. I'm not sure when factory refining (and thus, much less expensive, and much more widely available amounts) of flour & sugar began, but that would have been when it first began to affect human health widely. It certainly affected some earlier; Benjamin Franklin is known both for his love of bread & his stout waist. But not enough to affect structures of children, it seems, until it was so widely available that it could begin to displace other important foods.

There are some portraits of Barrett online. It seems he was an actor, and his nose doesn't look *as* pinched in those pictures, but it does look a lot like my fathers, which is very deep (front to back) and narrow and is certainly part of the problem with my own nose, and his lower jaw looks narrowed. (But in the death mask, his cheekbones look rather strong and broad.) Interesting, b/c the rest really have amazingly excellent noses - well, except Aaron Burr's looks broken!

What a face John Calhoun had!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Audobon (1785 to 1851) Under D to K, how about Benjamin Franklin? Keats' face looks a bit weak. It's interesting to recollect that he was a consumptive.
    I recall Price noting the near universal correlation between facial structure and being susceptible to tuberculosis.
    Sally Fallon has said that all of her five children have straight teeth with full eruption of the molars and no need for braces or teeth extraction to "make room". Maybe all it takes is a nutrient dense diet for the child, for his or her mother during pregnancy—and probably for both parents before conception.
    That would be hopeful! But it could also mean that they were genetically predisposed to have some other problem instead of teeth. Like allergies or something else. I'm going to pin my hopes to the former idea and keep an eye out to see if there's anything to support or disprove it.

I know she was unable to breastfeed, which implies something possibly deficient in her own nutritional status, but perhaps it could be more from her own nutritional inheritance, rather than her recent nutrient consumption.

His chapter on mineral depletion in the soil (and its correlation with lowering intellect and all manner of things) is startling, isn't it?

Think of all the vegetarians who think their children are getting all the Ca they need from green smoothies!

I'm remembering that among primitive people children are sometimes breast-fed until as old as three.
    LOL, you betcha. That's actually one of the very few primitive norms that have already begun to be rediscovered in the US. My five weaned between 2.5 & 3.5. There's actually quite a growing number of families practicing "extended" bf'ing now. The AAP has raised its rec's to "up to two years and as long thereafter as mutually desired" and the WHO has recommended a two year *minimum*, IIRC.

Bone broth is crucial for minerals, but I don't think we can get enough without soil replenishment. This is even a problem with organic food. The numbers on Mg that you gave are shocking.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Did you check out the page at Princeton University with lots more of these deathmasks?
    Really interesting Lewiss, thanks for posting. I'm going to waste a lot of time looking at death masks.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post

Has anyone got experience with Craniosacral therapy?... basically bodywork of the cranium
    yup... pretty neat - mostly dd had the work done - b/c of a lack of a suck/swallow reflux when born and the fact her jaw didn't release after delivery. btwn chriopratic and craino sacral work - it finally released around 2mths. I tried it as an alternative for migraines... I felt great after words - but at $90/session I couldn't afford it.... dd's treatment was covered by insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    LOL, you betcha. That's actually one of the very few primitive norms that have already begun to be rediscovered in the US. My five weaned between 2.5 & 3.5. There's actually quite a growing number of families practicing "extended" bf'ing now. The AAP has raised its rec's to "up to two years and as long thereafter as mutually desired" and the WHO has recommended a two year *minimum*, IIRC.

Exteneded bfing w/ds right now... granted hes' only 16mths...but he's showing no sign of slowing down...and I'm not inclined to wean. Yes some would call me selfish - but since dd couldn't/wouldn't nurse and I had to ep for her until my milk dried up at 14mths.... I'm going to milk this for all its worth.... what's interesting is some times dd will sit down w/me and ask to nurse - she's not quite sure how to make it work -but she tries - then gives up... it's a skill she's never had - even with me trying to explain how it works...

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Does breastfeeding help the child wrt nutrition regardless of the mother's own nutritional state/deficiencies?

Bfing is really the only nutrition a baby needs the first 2yrs - all foods are for experimentation and socialization the mama's body will steal nutrients from her own stores/food supplies to nourish the baby - ideally the mama will not be deficient - so while she's nourishing her baby she's also restoring her body's stores in preparation of the next pregnancy in 3-5yrs....

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Does breastfeeding help the child wrt nutrition regardless of the mother's own nutritional state/deficiencies?
    That's debatable. The breastfeeding community has long said that breast is best, but there is certainly a spectrum. My children's tooth decay started when they were still on 90% breastmilk, and in fact, the older three's decay stopped when I changed our diet when they were 8, 5, & 2 - but the youngest one's teeth continued to decay to the point of the front teeth being only nubs at the gumline and the molars having ravines so deep I was afraid they'd just break off. His decay stopped the day he weaned.

At that time, I was feeding the kids 100% WAPF and myself 40% WAPF and 60% sugar crap b/c I was addicted and couldn't stop. YES, I believe strongly that the nutrient content of breastmilk varies with the diet of the mother. I wouldn't bother paying for milk from a cow eating 40% grass and 60% Twix, so why did I believe so long that my diet only affected *me*? (It was, of course, the bf'ing community's dictum that nutrients go to the milk first, then the mother - but what happens when the mother doesn't even have enough fat-soluble vitamins to fill the needs of the milk?)

The question is only, where on the scale of breastmilk quality does formula fall? No doubt a primal fed mother produces breastmilk superior to any other alternative. I would imagine that commercial formula is worse than breastmilk of any quality, even from a starving mother eating cakes made of dirt & Crisco (yes, sadly, that is a reality in some parts of the world) - but I'm not certain about that. And if you're talking about a homemade formula from the WAPF recipe, from raw grassfed cow's milk, pastured liver, etc. - well, I don't know where that would fall on the spectrum. Worse than the dirt cake mother's milk? I have a hard time believing that.

Even though I think the combination of "extended breastfeeding with very few solids" and "nutrient-poor mother's diet" leads to caries, if nothing else, I firmly assert, to my pediatric dentists' chagrin, that the solution is to fix the mother's diet, not to stop the breastfeeding.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-05-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Google 'Renaissance Portraits'. I think you'll find that narrow faces and noses are part of a general line of European features. Broad faces belong to African and Oceanic peoples.

Fayum mummy portraits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman Portrait Sculptures: Caesar to Augustus
    Look at the face of Julius Caesar and Augustus.

Sure, those broad islander faces look healthy and strong but europeans have been breeding narrow faces for centuries, well no doubt connected with their early adoption of agriculture, but I don't think you can say it's a generational thing. Maybe it's gotten worse in the last generation but not by much.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast