Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Photos page 11

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow! Thanks. She was really good on Jimmy Moore's show. She also told him about a fascinating theory that weight-loss plateaus may be connected to trans-fat. She says as people can't get it back out to use it, like you would with normal stored body-fat, it just stays there till there's apoptosis—programmed cell death—which I hadn't even heard of before. Apparently, Jimmy's weight stalled for months but while the scale didn't move he lost 6 inches off his waist, and then he began to lose weight again. She says this was because the unneeded cells were dying off, because he didn't need them whereas he did need more muscle and bone as he was doing weight-training. It certainly provides a plausible explanation. But she had so many interesting things to say. Some of the guests Jimmy has can be a bit weak, but he has some very good ones, and she's one of the best I've heard. I'll look forward to listening to those talks you posted.

Desi is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Maybe two chubby boys. And another thing: count the pairs of spectacles, hence the children with myopia.
    OMGosh you made a VERY good point!!! What an interesting post!!

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    This is a fascinating read and completely applies to my family: Mom was raised on a dairy farm with German ancestry and her Mom and brothers all have incredibly strong features and well-built physiques; Dad was raised in town with Irish ancestry and he and his sisters are all fine-boned and small shouldered with narrow faces/teeth. My 3 older sisters were all born within 3 years and the oldest and youngest have strong features like my Mom, but the middle sister is a lot like my Dad.

My brother and I look a lot alike with strong features, but his chin is weaker. Most of the 5 kids (me included) never got wisdom teeth and all of us are missing teeth (I still have 2 baby molars). I think if my Mom would've been with someone more like her and her dietary habits, I think all of us would show the features mentioned here. My Mom's family is strong and hearty for sure.

See, I can blame a lot on my Dad to this day

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Here's when it hits me hardest: Price said that across the world, in the cultures he studied, there was rare or no
    - Obesity
    - Depression. People were across the board cheerful and optimistic. They enjoyed life.
    - Diseases of civilization like heart disease, diabetes, CANCER
    - Crime. Someone who worked against the common good was rare or unheard of.
    - Mental retardation.
    - Mental illness (bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.)

That means that all of my loved ones who suffer incessantly, whose lives are destroyed by these things, and who actually die from these things, lives cut tragically short - it was all preventable. All of it.
    Absolutely. All those things. One could also add conditions like autism—now becoming far more common. Maybe Tourettes.

All manner of physical symptoms, too. Canadian Indians twitted Samuel Hearne with the incidence of things like lameness and club-foot (as well as "congenital idiocy") among the whites and said this never happened among Indians.

Hearne, Samuel - A Journey from Prince of Wales's Fort ... to the Northern Ocean (1795)

The painter Catlin said much the same only to meet the response that that must be because the Indians killed such offspring at birth. I think that was a kind of defence-mechanism, because people didn't want to face up to what he was telling them. In fact, many primitive people will go to great lengths to care for disabled members: they just don't get many of them. Catlin says this. C. S. Lewis cited an example among Australian Aborigines in The Abolition of Man:

'In the Dalebura tribe a woman, a cripple from birth, was carried about by the tribes-people in turn until her death at the age of sixty-six.'... 'They never desert the sick.' (Australian Aborigines. ERE v. 443)
    Illustrations of the Tao

"Someone who worked against the common good was rare or unheard of". This is an interesting one. One response to that might be that this is actually a cultural change, and that most earlier societies were more close-knit, communitarian. The ancient Hebrews even saw guilt as being something corporate—hence the scapegoat, which carried the sins of the community. Plato virtually saw all of morality in terms of what was best for the group—much to Karl Popper's annoyance:

Amazon.com: The Open Society and its Enemies: The Spell of Plato (Routledge Classics) (Vol 1) (9780415290623): Karl Popper: Books

i think this may be cultural factors up to a point. But sure I expect you'd find many of those who "work against the common good", including criminals, would have their brain/gut/general physical health compromised.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Strong features? and gorgeous:

Gisele Bundchen seems to qualify:

Natalie Portman has an unusually wide dental arch, I think, although her nose seems rather narrow/pinched:

Some Indian celebrities:
    She has extremely paedomorphic features, so that kind of precludes a too-wide jaw:

Broad face but still long, but that's typical of some Indian ethnic groups:

edit: MamaGrok, I agree with you sooo hard about Shia LeBeouf. He has a heavily recessed chin and it's pretty apparent that he can't enunciate his words properly, and I cannot believe he's getting pushed on the American public as an action hero or leading man, of all things!
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 08-03-2011 at 01:25 PM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    What I mean by "work against the common good" is basically those who are criminal/delinquent. He found not only no jails or equivalent, but no need for it. Modern folks just assume they killed the bad dudes or something, but really, they weren't there. And what is a criminal but someone who disregards the common good for the benefit of himself alone?

Price has a lot of interesting reflection on criminals, physical characteristics, and their prevalence in society. Whether a particular person resorts to crime because of mental deficiency, mental illness, poverty (as opposed to simply not having luxuries, poverty implies not having the basic food, shelter, and clothing needed for life. primitive peoples were not impoverished), abandonment, feelings of worthlessness, or culturally imbued selfishness, none of those factors were present.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

The woman in the top pic looks to have braces or veneers, not sure which. The former would imply a narrowed dental arch, and it does look like her teeth are narrowed, but she does otherwise seem to have a stronger facial structure than most.

Gisele's eyes are close together, no? I can't tell from other pics whether her other unique features (sort of like Barbra Streisand's) are an ethnic prominent middle third, or the result of a face that has developed long instead of broad (as a result of poor nutritional heritage). A good example of how perfect structure isn't necessary for loveliness. Brazilian, 31.

Portman - looks good! Israel-born, 30.

There's an Indian shopping mall near here, an dthere is a DVD store plastered with posters of Indian celebrities. It kills me to see their faces have the same deformities as so many Americans, b/c I really do think there are alot of terribly beautiful Indians.

like this one, Priyanka Chopra:

Most of my Indian neighbors have lovely faces, as do some of these celebrities, but the ones on the posters have such degenerated facial structure, like this:

This is actually an example of how family inheritance is disrupted. She looks like Paris Hilton's Indian sister.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Most of my Indian neighbors have lovely faces, as do some of these celebrities, but the ones on the posters have such degenerated facial structure, like this:

This is actually an example of how family inheritance is disrupted. She looks like Paris Hilton's Indian sister.
    YES. I've always thought Kareena Kapoor was Paris Hilton's Indian doppelganger too (and has the shitty attitude/reputation and family connections to match).

I would expect a lot of Indians to have weak facial features due to the overemphasis on not eating meat. But if they stick to a traditional diet (ghee, no margarine, lots of produce and fermented lentils) it doesn't seem to be as bad. You do see people in villages in India with these kinds of diets who have very broad faces and really, really nice teeth, which surprises Western visitors. (Although the teeth tend to rot more than they do in Americans, dental work isn't standard for Indian children like it is for American children, not just because of lack of access, but also because there isn't as much of a need for it. This is probably changing though.)

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    How about Chris Pine?

Born in 1980, so 30/31yo

Or Miz Scarlett (Johansson)?

Born 1984, only 26/27! I don't see any evidence of crowded teeth in that smile, and her nose looks gorgeous to me, but I don't have a very trained eye...

Honestly I think the dearth of strong-featured people in Hollywood right now is more down to passing cultural preferences than to an absolute lack of availability.

The guy (31) looks good; the girl has corrected teeth for sure, and her skin looks too tight for her face. I suspect that a profile pic would show a recessed chin, if she hasn't had plastic surgery to correct it.

ETA: the last entry in this page has a picture of her before cheek implants and nose surgery. This pic is much more what I'd expect with the curvature of her dental palate and the pull of her cheek skin on her face.
    Celebrity diet: Macrobiotic diet & Scarlett Johansson | Diet, Exercises, Cosmetic surgery & Beauty tips for a perfect ass
    And again: Scarlett Johansson Plastic Surgery Nose Job & Boyfriend Sean Penn | MyDocHub -Health Blog, Weight Loss Tips | Celebrity Plastic Surgery
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-03-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast