Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jasetyn's Primal Journal page

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Tomorrow is going to be the first day of my 30 day challenge. To be honest I'm still battling not wanting to do it, but I desire to do the right thing. I know I'll do it but I need to get my attitude right. Maybe that'll come later? We'll wait and see! I am doing this because I have some serious emotional attachment to food as well as a large helping of Crohn's disease that I desire to see get better! I'd love to be able to look hot in a bikini which requires my belly not being bloated! I turned my husband on to this site and we keep the carbohydrate curve webpage on our bookmarks. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes 4 months ago and since following an 'under 50 carbs a day' eating plan he has lost 15 kgs and kept his numbers under 4. A friend of ours got diagnosed at the same time and went to a nutritionist who recommended 50 grams of carbs PER MEAL, and no saturated fat. Unfortunately he's now on drugs and looks insanely unhealthy. He's only 20!! Screw the USDA food pyramid, we need to do this right ya'll. Cheers!

Jase

Today is my first day primal. Eating went pretty good for me, I ate way too many peanuts though and some FODMAP unapproved veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, garlic, onion). Thai food left me feeling insanely bloated and tired so I'll be nixing that. All in all went well.

2 free-range eggs fried in coconut oil

peanut sauce chicken (no rice)

decaf americano (no milk)

2 free-range eggs fried in coconut oil

1 cup peanuts, roasted and salted

2 beef mince patties flavored with chillies and tuscan seasoning, half avocado

decaf filter coffee

Drank quite a bit of water. Didn't really have any cravings or mood swings at all. I'm very determined to get this right. Tomorrow I will focus on drinking more water and eating no legumes (peanuts). BTW It was my first day off of work in nearly a month and it was SO awesome!!! Went Christmas shopping, woke up early and went for a great 20 minute interval run, hung out with my husband, so lucky!!!

Today was harder than yesterday, energy-wise. I was also feeling a lot more hungry today. I fought some emotions and some weak moments, but still no real cravings for not-so-good foods. Had some good alone time today and a great lower-body work-out but I'm getting some serious DOMS already. Drank more water today, had to pee a lot!

2 fried eggs in coconut oil

1 small handful almonds

decaf coffee

beef mince with salad greens

half avocado

1 fried egg, 2 slices no chemical bacon

beef mince w/ salad greens, half avo and half tomato

2 hard boiled eggs

decaf coffee

small handful almonds

a lot of food eaten today, but I'm ok with it. Work tomorrow!

Tough day today! Had the occasional nibble of grainy/sugary foods but all in all I'm very happy with my willpower. It's an extremely weak muscle at this point in my life but everytime I exercise it it gets that much stronger. I had pizza cravings today which is odd for me considering I haven't eaten pizza in like, 2 years? But the ad was on TV. Ate a lot again today, but stopped when I was full.

1 egg, 2 slices bacon

tuna, avo, salad greens, bit of caesar dressing

1 egg, bit of avo

small amount of almonds

2 slices bacon, beef mince, salad veggies

small amount of almonds

1 egg

S/F chocolate, maybe 40 grams?

decaf coffee

bit of fish

S/F chocolate was a weak spot for me today, not to mention my husband was quite annoyed when he found out I reached into his stash, and fair enough. Working on it! Lots of tiredness today, had to drag myself through my UB workout at 5:30 this morning, but I did it and hit my high points. Bit of groggy tummy and headache today as well, but planning on sleeping it off right about...now. Grace and Peace.

Sorry journal! I didn't forget about you, I've been crazy busy. I haven't been 100% primal but I've dealt so well with some insane sugar jones'. In the past I have just replaced sugar with fake sugar which makes me want more sugar..not helpful. This time I'm just trying to listen to my body, feed it healthy things and not worry too much about macro's or anything. I do need to amp up my game when it comes to 'nibbling'. I'm the WORST for nibbling because I work in a food-related atmosphere and you just do it, but that's no excuse. That will for sure be my main focus this week, that and not strangling this girl I work with who is the most annoying human being on the planet. God give me patience!!! food for today

Nibble of muffin, nibble of berry tart thing.

bit of bread, bit of berries

lots of water, 2 small slices of salami

3 pecans

lots of water

some veggies from my husbands chinese food (broccoli, cauliflower)

85g of chicken in a can ( this stuff is so tasty!!)

2 handfuls of mixed nuts (minus peanuts and brazil nuts, yuck)

lots of water

beef mince w/ salad and soy sauce, 1 tsp oil

1 decaf coffee

Looking at this I realize how much a 'nibble' actually amounts to! I know by looking at my body that it adds up to a lot but I may actually do a bit of maths tonight and figure out how much these nibbles can add up to per year. I know that will jolt me to action! No work tomorrow so I have a day to determine my brain and find logical reasons with proof to go forward..I'm an anal person. And very defiant.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

This is a terrible time to be a grazer. Trust me...

My solution for this is to eat a big meal of meat and fat about 4:00pm. That way, when the potential problems present---you're full and happy ;-)

Thanks for the advice kuno! I just did some basic maths on my sugar/nibbling issue, and at the very least per day I'm consuming around 12 grams of sugar from the nibbling (this is the amount of sugar in one chocolate cookie which I measured to be accurate). That means a GAIN of five pounds per year purely from sugar intake if we presume I'm not burning it off. Considering I'm looking to lose quite a few pounds, I must just be a hamster on a wheel with this behavior. A more accurate measurement would probably be 24 grams of sugar meaning a gain of 10 pounds per year, zoinks!!!! I seriously never considered it was setting me back that badly. I also had a bad habit of consuming sugar free sweetened items which I read can process half into pure sugar. Sugar alcohols, that is. Enormous amount of calories for a very small amount of 'pleasure', I say. It will no doubt be a tough habit to break, but I have a choice: continue the habit and never reach my goal, or let go of the habit that doesn't add anything to my life and reach my goals. I'm a logical person. Grace!

Oy vey what a day. First day of girl time and I'm soooo irritable. Just got bad news on the job front as well, I really wanted my mate Mari to come work with me but she can't, damn. Anywho, spent today lamenting my future without nibbling so that I could have an insanely sore stomach and be ever more grateful when it stops with good eating. I read Gary Taubes' 'Good Calories Bad Calories' today, amazing. I'm sold!

handful of almonds

peanut sauce chicken minus FODMAP unapproved veggies

s/f choco bar and decaf coffee

3 cookies

half slice of bread

s/f choco truffles made with coconut oil and pecans

steak and salad

decaf coffee

OK day, go to spend time with my hubby which is always good and man did I pick some yummy steak!!! I hate steak, always have. I even tried to eat it about a month ago because I know it's good for me and I ended up giving it all to my husband because I couldn't stomach it. Today I had an insane craving for it so I got some and whoa, delicious. Anyway, got some sprinting in and a 15 bike ride. Go primal!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

May I ask why all the peanuts and soy?

If you need help curbing your "nibble time" there, try eating a BIGGER breakfast...You're really not eating that much food! I'm a tiny thing and if I put down a 12oz steak for breakfast, I'm not interested in any food 'til at least 2 or 3pm.

And why is brocolli unapproved? Very confused here..!

Hey Jess, thanks for stopping by! I don't think I have eaten anything soy? I eat peanuts because sometimes I really like them, but I realize they are a legume. They are also good for my nibbling habit. Broccoli is unapproved for me because I am on a FODMAP diet, it's a special diet for Crohn's disease. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus..they all make me sick, unfortunately. I feel like I'm eating heaps, btw! I'm trying to get used to the quantities with this Primal thing. I'll explain a bit about FODMAP. It stands for Fermentable Oligo- Di- and Mono-saccharides and polyols. It's basically a form of carbohydrate intolerance. Sugar must only be eaten in limited quantities (1 tsp every 4 hours is max, I think) and fructose and fructans (long chain fructose molecules) are definately out. Some of the primal things I must avoid are:

apples, pears, coconut milk/cream, allium family (garlic, onions, leeks etc), watermelon, peaches, mango, honey, cider, wine, blackberries, nectarines, cherries, apricots, plums and I can only have one small handful of 'safe' fresh fruit every every 2 hours. Chicory, wheat, rye, asparagus, legumes, cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms, artichokes, fennel, snow peas, avocado (though I do occasionaly indulge) inulin and FOS. On top of this I have a pretty severe dairy intolerance that gives me headaches, fainting spells, moodiness, constipation etc. So....

Taking out grains and a vast amount of root vegetables, along with dairy and the above mentioned Primal stuff, my diet is pretty limited. So when I indulge, I indulge something I really want like cookies or peanuts or what not, because if I had a cup of broccoli it would hurt just as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast