Thread: Any Entrepreneurs? How did it happen? page

Kymma is offline Senior Member

Any Entrepreneurs? How did it happen?

Primal Fuel
    I am changing my dreams and goals for the future. I want to be an entrepreneur.

For any entrepreneurs out there:

What made you believe that you could be successful?

Were there any books or people that you met along the way that helped guide you?

Did the idea for your business or the drive to own your own business come first?

Do you feel that you made the right choice?

What added value do you feel owning your own business brings?

Would you recommend it to others?

Thanks for the input.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I think you'd probably call me a small business owner rather than an entrepreneur: I have my own business because that's how I get to do the work I want to do for people. But anyhow, to get the ball rolling...
    Ignorance, mostly. I started because I was good at doing the thing; found out later I needed to become good at designing and building a website, marketing, writing copy, SEO, pricing, customer service, managing my own time efficiently, etc, etc, etc...
    (Of course you don't have to become good at everything involved, especially if you start out with some money to invest. And lots of the technical stuff has got a lot easier. But still... the number of different hats to wear at the beginning is pretty startling.)
    Were there any books or people that you met along the way that helped guide you?
    Personal favourite: Mark Silver of http://www.heartofbusiness.com. But this is, again, more for people who overwhelmingly want to do the thing and come to the 'oh, and I need to pay the bills too' part later.

Did the idea for your business or the drive to own your own business come first?
    Idea first - and not even 'for a business', just 'I want to do this for people.' (Fairly sure that disqualifies me for 'entrepreneur'.)
    Yup.

Absolutely, to anyone with bucket-loads of energy and enthusiasm, with a high tolerance for working 12 hours days and no particular affection for paid holidays and sick leave, and who doesn't need cash right away. Benefits - absolute job satisfaction.

Awesome, I will have to try some of your baked goods! Thanks Hilary!

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    I have gone straight from Uni into being self employed. I've done 6th form, College and University (UK guy so hence the terms). And have known since my early teens what area i've wanted to go into. I grew up with creativity (loved drawing, making stuff up, creating bits), and when computers came along, I put 2 and 2 together. After Uni I knew what I wanted to do.

I think for any business is to base it on a passion...it may sound like the oldest cliche in the book, but it's true. There have been really mentally tough days where you second guess yourself on your choice, and sometimes get a bit down when things are hard or even sparse. If passion wasn't fuelling my occupation, it would of crumbled long ago. If you have even the slightest doubt about your ability/whatever you want to do....it's a dangerous game.

Other than online tutorials, blogs and other reading materials. I've read far too much to list any notable ones. Don't ignore forums, I find them extremely valuable with all things in life....hey, we're here?!

Yes and no really, I know what I wanted to do when I was young, which many see as a gift. I was lucky enough to 'get in while I was young' rather than spend years between job hopping and the like. It was also a sort of pride thing, that I wanted to try and do it on my own

Absolutely yes, sure there are days which are a bit crap. But nothing beats working at home, doing what I love, and getting paid for it. Also all the work is 'off your own back' and the situations you get yourself into (not bad ones) are all your own doing, not your employers or etc!

It's good letting people know, there's always an 'ooooooooooo' when you tell people. As mentioned, nothing beats working at home.

It would depend on the person and business type, a lot of people have tried to start up thinking it will just 'earn them money' with a shaky game plan, also, again, if there's no passion, then don't even waste the time and effort. Other than that, absolutely yes, it's very possible to get started in business doing what you love. With social media, the internet, it's very easy to get out there! That's not including 'normal' marketing such as word of mouth and printed media.

P.s - As the above poster mentioned, be prepared to 'know everything' when it comes to going at it alone. I've learnt so much and have saved so much money (well me being a designer at the core helps out alot), I can now also be an SEO guy if I wanted, I'm very close with an SEO guy and he even says I should become one. But I won't as that's not my main passion!
    Last edited by Bolivar; 07-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I semi-retired from being a government webmaster 2 1/2 years ago. The agency wanted my help so they arranged for me to subcontract to someone they had used for writing and editing. So being self employed found me. I would love something that didn't involve staring at a computer all day, but nothing else would pay as well as this.

Currently, I am looking to add more clients. I have mostly done environmental related sites. I'm also hoping to set up some Primal or other ancestral blogs for people.

It takes guts to be self employed. It isn't for everyone. And I think "Do what you love and the money will follow" is total BS. I have tried that in the past and it never happened.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    this is me.

No clue. I just decided to do it. There's no option to not be successful at this point.

Probably. I recommend SCORE and also a good attorney and accountant.

Chicken and egg really. at 19, i realized that a person could be a yoga teacher. i wanted to have my own studio. i had this vision for it. oddly, it now very closely mirrors that vision. amazing.

at 33, i started hard core on the process of making it happen. business plan, financial, plan, etc. in between, i'd been teaching yoga, managing studios for others, and all around learning how to run my own business (DH worked a full time office job that supported us).

yes, every day. i love my work -- every aspect of it.

no clue how to answer this. except that i don't have to work for assholes, their asshole demands, or do things in any way that goes against my values.

yes and no.

it takes fortitude. it takes courage. it takes risk. it takes being ok with failure. it takes being ok with uncertainty. and it takes more fortitude after that.

a lot of people dn't have what it takes. they just don't.

and the big thing is follow-through. you have to follow-through with what you say you are going to do, or there is NO POINT. it's doomed to fail.

so, i don't actually recommend it to anyone. but, i will offer my insights and supports to people who want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Awesome, I will have to try some of your baked goods! Thanks Hilary!
    Er, thanks... but I don't bake anything. Or rather, things I bake do not tend to work well. I think you have me confused with someone else .

Really good to hear from other people. I'd've expected, for some reason, to find lots of Primal people were also entrepreneurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Er, thanks... but I don't bake anything. Or rather, things I bake do not tend to work well. I think you have me confused with someone else .

Really good to hear from other people. I'd've expected, for some reason, to find lots of Primal people were also entrepreneurs.
    Oops, I thought you were the White Lion bakery gal! Well, what do you do?

I am working on developing the idea. I have passion, drive and really feel that I will be an entrepreneur soon. I just have to work out what exactly I will be doing. It will come, but thank you everyone for the input.

What I do? Here it is.