Thread: Journal: Eric (Hominem Intempestus) page

Hominem Intempestus is offline Junior Member

Journal: Eric (Hominem Intempestus)

Primal Fuel
    First some thoughts, then a status report:

At first I thought "Hominem Intempestus" was Latin for "Timeless Man", but upon further investigation I realized this was not quite accurate. In reality, "intempestus" means "without storms" (roughly equivalent, but an interesting difference). Perhaps it is even more suited to this endeavor than I realized: The goal is to rid our bodies of inclement weather in order to bring about the full expression of our Self physically, which cannot help but change every facet of our lives, including our cognition (our minds are, invariably, our bodies). With the goal of clearing out the storm and guarding against its return, we make a commitment that has echoed throughout history in every religious tradition: to rid ourselves of pollution in order to achieve the full expression of our nature. While the aim is the same, the means to achieve it have not always been aligned with our biology. In truth we were not always sure what actually qualifies as pollution; but as more and more of our decisions are based off of the only really meaningful barometer (i.e. our physical bodies and the minds they house), the closer we step towards actually achieving our timeless aim. The closer we get to being "Without storms" and, consequently, without time.

One hurdle I hope to overcome is being underweight (which is not to say I am buying into the CW notion of "proper" weight... I just have a 6'3" frame that shot up before it shot out, so now I'm playing catch up). I am unable to afford giving up grains completely at the moment (though I have eliminated bread, rice and oatmeal are some of the most economical food stuffs available to me at the moment). Essentially, I can't afford to clear out my pantry, so it will simply have phase out slowly. In the same way, I have a huge tub of peanut butter I need to finish before I can give up on legumes completely (I plan to replace it with almond butter in the very near future).

That being said, this is what my diet will consist of (roughly) for the next week (again, please forgive the "poisons"...):
    - 3 eggs, salsa
    - 2 big ass pieces of hot sausage
    - a cup of coffee and a cup of milk (sometimes yogurt instead of milk)
    - a bowl of oatmeal with 2 tblspns of peanut butter and a handful of raisins mixed in.

Lunch:
    -Tuna, noodles and tomato sauce, spinach, and a banana with peanut butter on top.

Snacks:
    - Banana, peanut butter, a fresh veggie if available

Dinner:
    - Chicken breast, tomato sauce with mushrooms, red beans (and rice...), spinach salad.

I am open to any suggestions for improving this (especially with potential replacements for the no-nos). Generally I am eating a lot more than usual, and I am already starting to feel an improvement in my overall vitality, which brings me to my next point:

I ran sprint intervals yesterday for 20-30 minutes on a track (until I felt I had successfully escaped the lions chasing me). Then I did a few calisthenics (push-ups and some planks). Then I stopped and hit the showers. All in all I totaled at most 45 minutes of exercise and was completely content. Today I am going for a hike up to my school's reservoir for a swim. I am attempting to keep to the routine outlined in the PB as best as possible for the first few weeks, but I ultimately plan on incorporating a martial arts/fighting routine in as well.

All in all, I like where this is going...the storms are clearing.

Until next time,
    Eric

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Eric.

Since you are trying to gain weight, don't sweat the marginal foods now. Anyway, if you are trying to gain weight, rice and bananas are fine. I eat some beans, white rice and peanut butter. I'm doing fine.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Paleobird Guest
    Welcome. I'm glad you started a journal.

Mark has often said, "Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good". Gradual phasing in is progress in the right direction.

Since you are trying to gain weight, potatoes (all kinds, yams, sweet, white, red) are perfectly Primal, very nutritious, and cheap. Transition your starch that direction. Rice, as long as it's white rice is just pure starch without the harmful anti-nutreints found in "healthy" whole grains. White rice won't give you anything nutritionally but it won't hurt you either. Beans do put a strain on your digestive system. There is a reason for all the flatulence jokes.

As far as protein goes, how about the dark meat instead of the chicken breast? Also some of the best sources of primal nutrition around are dirt cheap, things like goat. Also, how do you feel about organ meats? Properly prepared they can be wonderfully delicious and are like an edible multivitamin supplement.

Since you are looking for extra calories, I would suggest getting some good quality coconut oil and using it liberally.

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Robin

Hominem Intempestus is offline Junior Member

End of Week 1

Some unexpected responsibilities kept me up late into the wee hours of the night a few days last week. This undoubtedly threw off my schedule...sleeping, eating, exercising were all compromised by my sheer exhaustion. Even so, yesterday I forced myself up off my a** and went to the gym (did my first full set of Lifting Heavy Things), which quickly rejuvenated my body and my mind. Today I discovered what it means to engage many muscle groups at once in an exercise; many tiny muscles all over my body feel just as worked out as the main muscle groups, in essence I feel like I engaged my body as one continuous whole, not "arms" today, then "chest", and so on. From now on, when people ask me "What are you working on in the gym today", I will simply respond "I'm going to work on 'Eric'."

Food has been both good and bad. My groceries ran thin later in the week, and those late nights had me sleeping during the day more than eating. I am adventuring to the grocery store later today to get stocked up on Primal foods--hopefully I can find some deals and get a ton of it for the next two weeks. Honestly, listing my exact diet for the past week would be a little embarrassing. Suffice it to say that I did my best given the circumstances, but I could do better. We'll see how it goes.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    From now on, when people ask me "What are you working on in the gym today", I will simply respond "I'm going to work on 'Eric'."
    I like it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.