Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here wants Alzheimers? page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Who here wants Alzheimers?

Primal Fuel
    So I've seen and been told that non-stick cookware, can give someone alzheimers regardless of if the coating flakes off of the pan or not. And with all honesty, the stainless steel cookware is a real pain to cook with. Would a seasoned cast iron skillet be the way to go then? Seems to me like it'd be the way to go to avoid the side-effects of cooking with a non-stick pan. And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.

Thanks

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment

This is my website that gives other good ways to avoid AD, ALS, PD and other neurodegenerative diseases.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

nitrofish1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment

This is my website that gives other good ways to avoid AD, ALS, PD and other neurodegenerative diseases.
    your blog is very long. am i getting alzheimers from my cookware or no?

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofish1 View Post
    your blog is very long. am i getting alzheimers from my cookware or no?
    RSL has a link in her post above. Did you read that? It's an article by Jack Kruse and could help explain where AD may come from.

Dr. Mercola rants about nonstick cookware; maybe do a search on his site.

@RSL thanks for the link; I read the Kruse article and it's eye-opening. My mother died from AD this year and my sisters and I are a bit concerned about our future (although it was not the most inherited type of AD). I have forwarded the link to my sisters.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I remember there being a big scare about the health issues of non-stick. I did not remember that it was Alzheimers. (I thought that was aluminum cookware - whatever). My sense is that some of that was overblown by the media but it is a concern. I waffle between the pros and cons of non-stick. I think some of the early news about it's risks were over-blown by the media (big surprise) but as I understand it you do need to be careful about the temperature you cook at (not too hot) and you need to toss if chipped. I'd need to look into the research before buying. But, if I got a non-stick, I would probably be pretty careful with it to make certain it doesn't chip.

Personally, I don't own any non-stick pans. My seasoned cast iron works great and when something does stick or burn (more likely) a little elbow grease never hurt me. You have to take care of cast iron. - this is not a pan to put in the dishwasher. Commit to caring for it and it will last you two lifetimes. I'd love to get a quality wok soon for stir-frys. They are, I think typically made of carbon steel (although they come in cast iron really don't' want the weight in a wok) and are non-stick when seasoned. so that may be another material to consider.

Over the top headline by the way.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    And now for something completely different:
    Alzheimer's Disease May Be 'Type 3' Diabetes

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My family all have oddly wired brains, so we're good.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    all of my cookware is either stainless steel, cast iron, or carbon steel. cast iron and carbon steel must be seasoned and cared for to prevent rust and preserve the seasoning. stainless steel takes experience to cook food on it well. with the right temperature of the pan, and the fat added at the right time, i can make beautiful, fluffy scrambled eggs on my stainless steel skillet (which has a copper plate on the bottom for heat distribution). but it takes experience and practice.

aussie1girl is offline Member
    So I've seen and been told that non-stick cookware, can give someone alzheimers regardless of if the coating flakes off of the pan or not. And with all honesty, the stainless steel cookware is a real pain to cook with. Would a seasoned cast iron skillet be the way to go then? Seems to me like it'd be the way to go to avoid the side-effects of cooking with a non-stick pan. And it is a bit scary seeing people as young as 40 contracting this disease.

Thanks
    Hi

I use ceramic cookware and it's great. I recommended it to my mother in-law (lovely lady but really fussy about her cookware) and she loves it. Here's the website:

Earthchef nonstick cookware

Cheers

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks
    If you find stainless steel hard to cook with, cast iron will kick your @ss.

If you are worried about teflon coating causing something as severe as Alzheimer's then why is how hard some other type of pan is to cook with even an issue?

Honestly, you can't be bothered to read through a link someone sent in response to your query - you just want an immediate yes/no response from random internet strangers.

Really?

This is how you cover yourself on major health issues?

Edited to remove suggestion of cyanide therapy to prevent Alzheimer's.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-27-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast