Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rice question page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

If I'm going to eat rice.... (not regularly, just... I might want some, loaded up with a ton of butter and a bit of soy sauce. Is this one of the fabled "cravings"?)

White is better than brown right? Easier to digest, fewer anti-nutrients?

You're supposed to soak it before cooking, right? How do you go about that? How long/what technique do you use? I don't know anything about soaking grains.

And then if it's soaked, do you cook it the same way you normally would? Or is there a different cooking method to use / less cooking time ?

Thanks in advance!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

What about wild rice? It's a bit more expensive, but from what I remember, it's not the same as regular rice. (Personally I like the texture of it too. Kind of like quinoa. Uh oh... craving.)

I like wild rice, but it's not what I want... haha.

Sticky fluffy white rice, maybe cooked in chicken stock, loaded with butter and some soy sauce. yup. That's what I want.

I know I could resist if I needed to, and "cravings" aren't something that HAVE to be given in to... but I also know that rice is one of the less offensive grains and if it can be soaked to be even easier on the digestive system, why not?

AND if I'm making it with stock and tons of butter, that's a good way for me to get in some real nutrients, right?

I sound like I'm making excuses... but ... ok maybe I am. But still, at least I'm not running to chick fil a for waffle fries and milkshakes. It could be worse!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

If you really, really gotta have it, and you just can't get it out of your mind, go ahead and indulge. Sometimes you just have those cravings that put you in a headlock and all you can do is say "Uncle." LOL

I'd say soak it, and have plenty of fat with it.

I don't really know anything about soaking grains, but I do remember my mom would make "old fashioned" rice, and would let it soak before she cooked it. Brown rice tastes better (to me.) Soak it then cook until it's soft I guess. Sort of like pasta- Do the occasional taste test to see if it's still crunchy?

Of the grain options, rice does seem to be one of the less offensive. Riced cauliflower just won't cut it for ya this time?

Hang in there girl. Your body's doing weird stuff to ya. I say enjoy the ride. It's not like oreos dipped in chunky monkey.

FairyRae2 Guest

Some info on soaking rice: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...rown-rice.html Although, I don't know much about white rice--not sure it requires soaking--the phytates *may* be stripped during the process of de-browning it (so not a real term--sorry!)

I've also sprouted brown rice in the past, then dehydrated it in the oven for a yummy, nutty flavor. I stored it, uncooked, dry, in a jar in my fridge until I wanted to cook some and then cooked in broth--just like you would regular rice. Worked great for me (in my old grain days.) Here's info on sprouting rice: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/rice.html

If it were me, and I had to have it, I'd go w/ sprouted wild rice, or plain white rice (cooked in broth will really up the nutrition). I really think you don't need to specially prepare white rice though b/c the bran (I think) that has the antinutrients, and the nutrients as well in it, is removed. It will just end up being an empty carb in your tummy I believe, but doesn't have the phytates of whole grains...

HTH!

maba is offline Senior Member

Rice is the only neolithic food I wish I could eat more often If you're eating brown rice, then follow the soaking method on Stephan's blog. With white rice, since all the anti-nutrients are removed with polishing, soaking may not be necessary, but soak it anyway. Dr.Harris of PaNu recommends white rice, if one HAS to eat rice at all.

FWIW, Basmati rice has a slightly lower Glycemic index than other varieties, plus it's so aromatic.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

klcarbaugh, there's nothing wrong with soy sauce since it's been fermented... same with tempeh - I'm having some tonight.

I'm going to cook some brown rice in bone stock tonight, too. I usually soak it in water + vinegar for 24 hours, and save that water for next time. It's not even just a cheat anymore, it's a regular part of my diet: 2 - 3 servings a week.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Thanks so much for the help, y&#39;all.

As far as the soy sauce goes, I haven&#39;t been able to find a wheat-free one in our store yet but I use it so rarely (and not very much when I do) that I&#39;m not worried about it. But yeah, like Raphael said, it&#39;s not "regular soy" - it&#39;s a biproduct of fermentating soy. I no longer eat edamame (sad) and was never into tofu or "soy cheese" or soy milk or any of that, so I think I&#39;m safe on the soy front.

And don&#39;t worry - I will use LOTS of butter.

Will either get white or basmati (Thanks Maba) - whatever I can get in a smaller bag. haha. I don&#39;t want 5 pounds of rice sitting around my house.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

I second Maba on the Basmati, it&#39;s more delicious and less carby. Did you ever try quinoa? Just had bell pepper stuff with lots of minced meat and quinoa, cooked in tomato sauce. It subs for the rice quite nicely.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Noticed earlier that you wanted "sticky" rice - if so, may I suggest a short grained variety, either labelled for sushi, or "arborio" for risotto if the shop has them in stock. Also tend to be sold in smaller packs anyway.

Basmati is (WAS) my preferred variety, but you can&#39;t beat proper sticky buttery gooey rice when the feeling strikes!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast