Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Journal (Alice H) page

AliceH is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Journal (Alice H)

Today is the first day of my 30-day tryout of the Primal Blueprint.

I've been doing a 1000-1400 calorie a day diet on and off (mostly on, with the occasional cheat day or couple of days) for months, without seeing any change in my weight or body fat percentage. Obviously this isn't just a matter of calories in, calories out, or my weight should be dropping dramatically.

Today's stats:

weight: 217.4

body fat percentage: 48.4

I walked 2.06 miles on the treadmill this morning in 45 minutes. Wore my Merrell Barefoots.

Breakfast was 2 eggs and 1.5 teaspoons of butter. I'm still hungry, but I don't have time to fix anything else since I'm running late to go get my knee injections. I'm used to being hungry anyway - I rarely felt not hungry on 1000 calories a day.

AliceH is offline Member
    Lunchtime!

2 cups mixed greens
    1 cup grape tomatoes
    1 broiled red bell pepper
    4 crimini mushrooms, cooked with
    3 slices bacon

Doing a B.A.S. is going to be a challenge for me - I've never been a fan of salads. Lettuce is a garnish, not a food, and I don't care for raw broccoli, cauliflower, or mushrooms. Raw spinach is OK as long as it has a hot bacon dressing. So going into the kitchen and just throwing together a salad is unlikely to happen. The mixed greens today were OK because they were heated up from the pepper, mushrooms, and bacon. This was really filling, though.

whalersgirl is offline Junior Member
    I'm with you on that Alice. I'm not a huge fan on the B.A.S., though heaven knows I wish I could be I tend to cook a lot of greens or other veggies at night and then use them for a few days at lunch time, some days cold and some days heated up. Keeps up the variety and saves me from the despair of eating raw broccoli (which might rank as my least favorite food of all time).

I'm on my first 30 days too. Hope yours goes well!

AliceH is offline Member
    I think if I *had* to eat raw broccoli, I'd rather starve.

I had a quarter cup of macadamia nuts for a snack, and was still hungry, so I had an orange. I hadn't gotten to the part in the book yet where oranges are lower on the list (but hey, they're still a fruit, and I've got a bunch that need to be eaten). After hitting Costco and Target today, I couldn't find coconut oil or unsweetened shredded coconut. I may have to go to a grocery store to try to find it.

Dinner was chicken breast marinated in olive oil with garlic and fresh rosemary, thyme, and basil, then skillet-fried. I cooked up some more of the crimini mushrooms in bacon, cooked some broccoli and cauliflower, sliced up a roma tomato, and sliced up a yellow squash from the garden and sauteed it in some butter. It was delicious. I feel overly full.

The interesting thing is, I'm still coming in at about 1400 calories for the day. I was hungry in the morning, but that was more from not having time to cook a real breakfast. I'm not sure I'm counting the bacon fat correctly when I'm cooking the mushrooms in it, though - I'm going to have to do some research into that.

Nutritional totals for the day, according to FitDay:

Calories: 1407
    Fat (g): 92.3
    Carbs (g): 50.0
    Protein (g): 100.9

I had to take a nap today (and I did yesterday too) but I think that's more related to having been super-sleep-deprived over the past few weeks and it finally catching up to me, and partly due to not having had any coffee today or Provigil for the last two days. The Provigil was on purpose; I've only been sleeping about six hours a night which isn't as much as I need but things have been busy. I'm going to have to carefully consider my Provigil use, I'm thinking. In addition to keeping me from falling asleep on the road (which is what it was prescribed for) it acts as an appetite suppressant, which makes it harder for me to listen to what my body's telling me about what, when, and how much I should be eating. I really don't think I can drive for more than 45 minutes without taking it, though, and the whole reason I want to take care of my knees is because of activities I do in the mountains, which are an hour's drive away.

The coffee was an accident; I just didn't get around to brewing it today. Normally if I didn't get around to making a pot, I'd hit Starbucks for a non-fat sugar-free caramel latte while I'm doing my running around, but since I'm avoiding dairy and artificial sweeteners that wasn't an option. I'm thinking at some point I'm going to have to try making a latte with coconut milk and a bit of dark chocolate.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Check for a natural foods store in your area.

Also, greens sauteed in bacon fat are to die for!

AliceH is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Check for a natural foods store in your area.

Also, greens sauteed in bacon fat are to die for!
    Yeah, any method of eating that doesn't include bacon is just wrong. I've cooked collard greens and swiss chard in bacon in the past, I love both of those.

AliceH is offline Member
    I was only mildly hungry at 10 am, so I ate a handful of almonds which tided me over until lunch. Lunch was 3 eggs cooked with bacon, peppers, and onions. Had another handful of almonds later in the day, and a few to snack on while cooking dinner. Dinner was beef tenderloin, brussels sprouts cooked with bacon, turnips cooked with bacon and butter, and grape tomatoes. It'll be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow - this was about 650 calories more than I normally eat in a day, and more fat and protein than I needed.

Calories: 2023
    Fat (g): 143.8
    Carbs (g): 75.6
    Protein (g): 120.5

I got up for a bit this morning at my usual time and then went back to bed because I still felt tired. Made coffee, and by a little into my second cup (these are 16-ounce cups, not your little teacups) I was so wired I couldn't work.

AliceH is offline Member
    Forgot to mention, did PT on my knees for half an hour yesterday. Various leg lifts, clams, etc.

PT again this morning.

Wasn't hungry for breakfast, had a handful of hazelnuts for a midmorning snack. Lunch is a half pound of shrimp and four cups of baby spinach cooked in butter, with a cup of cherry tomatoes and two tablespoons of pine nuts.

Despite having worked late and having only gotten 4 hours of sleep as a result, I feel pretty awake, and I've only had probably ten ounces of coffee. On one hand, I think not needing the coffee is a good sign. On the other hand, I miss the constant coffee, both from a taste standpoint and from a "this is what I do" standpoint.

AliceH is offline Member
    Got busy with homework last night, didn't have time to journal.

In the afternoon I was craving comfort food, so I made do with a cup of warmed-up blueberries and a third cup of pecans. I was still hungry an hour after that so I had some almonds.

Dinner was braised pork tenderloin, cauliflower shredded up and toasted in butter, mushrooms and bacon, and a mixed greens salad with tomatoes.

Calories: 2490
    Fat (g): 176.9
    Carbs (g): 62.4
    Protein (g): 152.5

Weight this morning: 216.8
    Body fat percentage: 48

I did three miles on the treadmill this morning in 1:06, plus ten minutes of PT on my knees. I feel good and could have walked longer but the kiddos are stirring. Plus, I'm FAMISHED.

AliceH is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Breakfast is 3 eggs, about 4 oz chicken breast, red pepper and onion cooked in olive oil. Nom!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast