Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Night Shift page

carli is offline Junior Member

Suggestions for Night Shift

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I am a shift worker (I love my job and have no intention of changing) and struggle with the occasional rotation onto nights. Previously this has completely upset my paleo routine as I search for those little glucose hits to keep me on my feet and eyes open throughout the night but I am becoming more aware of how much paleo suits me. I am due to go on a two week rotation again soon and want suggestions from other people that may have had a similar issue and have found some resolution

I dont want to sound precious but please dont suggest fruit and nuts I limit my fruit to three pieces a day and require about five in a night shift which causes stomach issues

Any particular recipes for small nibbly things??

Thanks in advance

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    hard boiled eggs

belinda is offline Senior Member
    pre-cooked strips of bacon (to go with those hard boiled eggs!)
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I work the midnight shift and I bring a full meal that I eat around 4am and a snack for around 1am. I also have something before I leave the house. The cupboard's a bit bare so last night I had an omelet covered w/ homemade tomato sauce (5 eggs w/ tuna) over steamed and buttered kale. Also some blueberries and macadamia nuts in coconut milk. I had some chicken thighs (done in that tomato sauce) when I woke up. If you don't bring real food the urge to hit the snack machine can be overwhelming in the wee small hours.

I don't rotate which I think makes it easier, and I'll have no more than 2 cups of coffee. "Snacky" things would do nothing but ignite real hunger for me. I would also recommend a power nap if possible, 20 minutes does wonders.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your routine... how many nights in a week/month you pull. You might think about just going without! These days I only work nights once or twice a year and for about 2-3 weeks each time. I try to keep my same eating routine except for breakfast, eating just two meals, 11-12L and 17-1800L
    I have broken, but only with jerky, and sorry to say nuts but very little.

Good luck!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    You're going to hate this...Don't eat.

Research in Australia a couple of years ago showed that eating on night shift was really bad for you as your body should be doing other things than digestion at that time. Apparently it is very hard wearing on the body and is one of the reasons long time shift workers die relatively early.

I was a copper for many years and always found night shift incredibly difficult. I found it best to have dinner with the family and just wait till the shift ends and have breakfast as normal then bed. Anything else gave indigestion no matter what I ate.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Nom Nom Paleo's blogstress works overnight at a hospital. She often talks about what she brings to work to eat in the night and will post pictures. Besides that, it's an amusing site; she's funny with a sass mouth, good recipes.

Nom Nom Paleo
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    You're going to hate this...Don't eat.

Research in Australia a couple of years ago showed that eating on night shift was really bad for you as your body should be doing other things than digestion at that time. Apparently it is very hard wearing on the body and is one of the reasons long time shift workers die relatively early.

I was a copper for many years and always found night shift incredibly difficult. I found it best to have dinner with the family and just wait till the shift ends and have breakfast as normal then bed. Anything else gave indigestion no matter what I ate.
    This is what I do. IF'ing works for me. I work 12 hour night shift, and have for some time. If'ing isn't for everyone, but I'm pretty well adjusted to it and like it pretty well.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

carli is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone....

I am pleased to report I have had success this week Made hazelnut 'brownies' from Marks Cookbook and they we nibbled on by everyone not just the paleo ppl and they kept me away from doing unconscious hand to mouth with nonpaleo foods, YAY!!
    Guacomole with vege sticks made an appearance, as did a homemade chicken soup to keep my fluids up.

What I have noticed from maintaining my paleo is that I didnt have my usual 4am nausea so from now on I will be much more organised with paleo foods for my nights cause it was worth it!

Lovisa is offline Junior Member
    I am also on a 12 hour night shift. I don't really eat during it anymore, as I've found that if I do eat I'll still be hungry and looking for things to snack on, if only to alleviate boredom and stay awake. Now that I've started eating/living primal, I'm going to use my work nights as an opportunity for IF. Hunger isn't the big problem though, it's staying awake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast