Thread: Primal Pregnancy page

caseyg945 is offline Junior Member

Primal Pregnancy

Primal Fuel
    I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with my first child (8 weeks to go!!!) and have been eating primal for about 4 years now. However, during my pregnancy I realized while I might follow the primal diet I still hang on to some pretty nasty dietary and lifestyle habits that I want to change. My pregnancy has really made a difference in how I think about my body. Its no longer about staying thin and in shape, but more about doing the right things for my body to produce a healthy baby.

I come from a competitive athletic background- I ran distance in college and raced semi-professionally in cycling for a year before getting pregnant. I still hang on to those chronic cardio tendencies and often fail to eat enough fat- thus I take naughty licks, nibbles and bites of my husbands peanut butter sandwiches, bowls of noodles and grocery store samples.

This 30-day challenge will bring me close to the end of my pregnancy & is focused on producing a healthy mind and body. My goals:

• sleep 8 hours a night
    • Walk daily instead of climbing on the stairmaster daily
    • Play once a week
    • Sleep 8 hours a night
    • Eat more fat
    • Give up the diet soda for good
    • Forget the artificial sweetners
    • Continue to Lift 3 times a week
    • Continue HITT metabolic type workouts 2x week (I can't sprint anymore- the buddha belly gets in the way!)

My biggest habits I'd like to break are artificial sweetners. I use them in my coffee often and usually have 3-7 diet sodas a week. I am also a stresser, tend to work into the night instead of getting my sleep, cruising the internet. I'd like to get back into reading before bed. I was doing this for a while and really enjoyed it. Last night I started "The Help". I've been really good about sticking to my workouts during my pregnancy and have only put on about 15 lbs. (although my daughter is healthy and growing well on our primal eats!). However, I tend to climb on machines instead of going outside with my dog for longs walks, which I truly enjoy and miss.

I'll be logging my eats, sleeps and workouts on here to keep myself on track! To health!

Waking up from 8+ hours of sleep without an alarm clock feels good. Enjoying some local joe right now. Recap of yesterday's eats and workout.

B: 3 whole eggs, 1 slice bacon with 3 tbsp whole pastured cream in coffee
    S: Starving after walk- 2 slices of bacon and 1/2 serving scrambled eggs from the middle of a bagle I picked up at a local organic grocery store. Not the best choice b/c there was a little bit of cheese on it, but did my best. Picked at cookie piece samples in store :/
    L: 1 can kippers, 1 sauteed chicken liver on romaine with drizzle of olive oil, cucumber
    D: We are moving this week and opted to eat out. Went to a mexican joint. I ate 3 corn chips with salsa & had a large shrimp salad with tomatoes, onions and mushrooms.
    S: Was starving b/c my salad from dinner was sans enough fat. Had some walnuts, still hungry, dipped some bread crusts in ghee & a handful of sugarfree toasted O's.

This is my pattern and I know it. I don't eat enough- get hungry, and pick. How to stop the picking at crusts, nibbles of cookies? I know its a mind thing- I could have just as easily boiled some eggs, fried up some more bacon.

Workout:
    Very sore from Monday's lifting session.
    AM: Walked 6 miles at a brisk pace with my dog, drank some water and headed to the gym where I proceeded to do a HIIT workout. I did not want to start this b/c of the soreness and thought many times that I would go home after the first round of intervals if I felt tired still. Good thing I pushed on- had a great workout:
    50:10's with GymBoss Interval Timer, 6 rounds, 2-4 minutes rest btwn rounds (pee breaks for my aching bladder!)
    -Side Jump Lunges
    -Walking push-ups (these are tough with the belly)
    -Burpees (no jump at the top)
    -Renegade Rows with 12.5lb dumbbells
    -Jump Rope

Came home, ate, cleaned and packed for a couple of hours and really just laid on the couch for the rest of the day. Wish I didn't do so much sitting in the PM- this is rare for me.
    Last edited by caseyg945; 07-27-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: HIIT not HITT

Busy day
    B: 3 whole eggs, 2 slices raw bacon (yes I eat it raw, my husband buys pork belly from a local butcher and makes our own- its terrific raw) Coffee with splash whole milk (out of cream)
    I was rejoicing in the absence of sweetener in my morning coffee, but.....
    S: Cup of dunkin donuts coffee w/ cream n splenda packet @ job orientation (I was starving at this point and there were tons of donuts and pastries around- I caved to splenda instead of donuts)
    Snack2: 10 pecans
    Lunch: 1 large chicken breast, skin on, broccoli, squash and mushroom stirfry w/ small side salad, water
    Snack: 1 oz. mixed raw nuts, with a couple of dark chocolate stars, Blue Mountain sugarfree seltzer
    Dinner: 1/4 cup of chicken broth, a small amount of leftover boiled clams mixed with homemade mayo, about 5 sauteed chicken livers, sauteed spinach & raw cucumbers. Also nibbled on husband's leftover porkchop bone.

Workout: Great workout in PM. Felt strong and improved some lifts.
    A1) RDL: 135# (8 reps, 4 sets)
    A2) Close grip pulldown: 85# (10 reps, 4 sets)
    B1) Barbell Split Squat (115#, 12 reps, 4 sets)
    B2) Stability Ball Leg Curls (Body wt. , 20 reps, 4 sets)
    C1) Bulgarian Split Squat Jumps (20# 10 reps per leg, 10# 10 reps per leg for last 3 sets)
    C2) Clean Press (50#, 10 reps, 4 sets)

Afterwards: 45 minute brisk walk with doggie in 105 degrees! Had a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Hi casey,
    I hear ya on the artificial sweetener/diet soda. I have taken a break from diet sodas a couple of times, but never lose my taste for them. Lately when I "try" to stop drinking them, I end up drinking more so I'm just stay hydrated and figure I'll quit when I realize they taste like nasty chemicals....

I use stevia in my coffee. It tastes a little odd, but coffee is strong-flavored enough to cover up the aftertaste. My favorite form is the liquid stuff in the dropper bottles because it's easy to carry around. It is stupidly expensive, though, so I think I'm going to get some powdered stevia extract and just make my own.

I think your diet looks great, really nutrient-dense, and it's super you're working out this far into your pregnancy! I hope I can be as active if I ever get pregnant. Have you seen Cassandra Forsythe's fit pregnancy interview series?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Otter-
    I've tried stevia and the only way I can stand it is in some zero cream soda a local grocery store has.. I don't like the way it tastes in black coffee... was thinking about trying the flavored liquid stuff though- maybe it is better??

Its funny that you mention Cassandra Forsythe cause I "steal" a lot of her pregnancy bootcamp workouts that she did & I love them. She worked out like a madwoman while pregnant and had a healthy 7 lber.... keeps me motivated so I go there often and reread her posts and the interviews from other women. You wouldn't believe some of the comments I get in the gym that make me question what I'm doing. Yesterday a female doctor told me she was concerned with the amount of weight I had on the squat rack and wanted to know if "I thought it was safe/ was I trying to lose weight??" It urks me b/c I would never do anything that I thought was jeopardizing. I definitely do have my days where I ache, and I just quit, but I honestly love lifting & feel great!