Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New. Terrified. Fat. page

akm3 is offline Member

New. Terrified. Fat.

Primal Fuel
    I'm not really terrified, I impulsively chose that title because it was how I introduced myself to JudoForum when I started doing Judo, a year ago. I am still however New (to Primal) and Fat.

I'm actually very optimistic! But I am hopelessly confused on a few things.

I know Primal is more of a goal to aspire to, and since I'm not "100% Primal" yet, I'm trying to learn how to value sub-primal choices as I get more and more towards the ideal.

Example: I know the "Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger" is definitely not Primal. However, if all I have is $4.67, and my cooler full of primal foods was stolen from me by an albino homeless man, and I'm on foot with no health-food store within 20 miles, and I have to be at Judo in 20 minutes, is it an acceptable compromise?

Also, I just got back from the health food store tonight, and I bought myself some Organic Coconut Oil. What in God's name do I do with this thing to eat it? Fry my (organic) eggs in it? Any advice here would be helpful.

I'll have lots of questions, and you can see I'm either really annoying or humorous and irreverent, but it is great to be here with such a great community and I hope I get close to 100% Primal as quickly as possible. My Judo depends on me getting into better shape.

-Allen

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to eat before Judo. If I ate something within an hour of my Krav Maga practice, I would soon see it on the floor. Fasted workouts are great.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can fry anything in coconut oil. Depending on the type it'll probably make things taste somewhat coconutty, though. I like coconut oil for stir fries, and ghee for eggs.

It's also an ingredient in various treats you probably don't want to think about.

JTWolflied is offline Member
    I also like the flavor an unfiltered coconut oil gives to bacon. Put it on top of some good fish with a sprinkling of macadamia nuts and a bed of greens. It's a vacation in my mouth.
    http://www.getmoneyout.com

Start: March 2011
    Start Weight: 245 lbs.
    Current Weight (November 2011): 208.4 lbs. and counting.
    Goal weight: 195 lbs.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Allen! Shoot for 100% but don't get bummed if you have to settle for less. A low carb burger is within 80%. Have them hold the sauce or mayo. Anything over 80% is Primal. Skipping meals (IF) is fine, although a newbie like yourself might want to hold off on that. (Skip a meal if you are not hungry though.)

Try virgin coconut oil with a spoon right out of the jar. Yum!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Focus on making "better" choices, even if they aren't "great" choices.

Coconut oil is primarily used by me in frying.

After a few weeks of conscious primal eating, see if you can go into your judo training after NOT having eaten for at least 3-4 hours. You won't die.

Welcome!

Monty is offline Senior Member
    "Example: I know the "Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger" is definitely not Primal. However, if all I have is $4.67, and my cooler full of primal foods was stolen from me by an albino homeless man, and I'm on foot with no health-food store within 20 miles, and I have to be at Judo in 20 minutes, is it an acceptable compromise?"

Sounds like you should drop judo and start packing some heat. Or, throw the $0.67 on the ground and bait him away from your cooler. We can't be holding your hand thru this. Jeesh!

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Example: I know the "Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger" is definitely not Primal. However, if all I have is $4.67, and my cooler full of primal foods was stolen from me by an albino homeless man, and I'm on foot with no health-food store within 20 miles, and I have to be at Judo in 20 minutes, is it an acceptable compromise?

Yea, and no. Remove the bread you might have an acceptable compromise. When I am short on money and time I get myself some almond butter. I have actually made a really interesting mixture of almonds, pecans, whey protein, cocoa powder (unsweet) coconut oil, and olive oil. TASTES FREAKING AMAZING! Well in my opinion, not sure how others would react to the taste. Do you enjoy eating nut butters? I say nut because I am not talking about peanuts.. (ick.)

What you can do with coconut oil:
    Mix it with cocoa powder and whey protein and cook - makes great pancakes, cookies, fudge, etc.
    Mix it with your spinach as a dressing (yummy....I hate store bought dressing always have.)
    Mix it with your meat (you don't have to cook meat.. unless it's grain fed.)

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Carl's Jr. is the firm that bought Hardee's, and it's known mostly through the Southern California and Southwest areas. Their low-carb burger is pretty good, Primally speaking - there's no bread at all. But I would ask for the Guacamole $6 burger, rather than the low-carb burger; the low-carb burger has ketchup and other high-sugar and bad-oil mixtures, where the guacamole burger is meat, tomato, guacamole, lettuce, and onion. Simple, and pretty damn Primal. This is my go-to food when I have to eat and I can't afford a steak.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    But is it actually meat, or just the usual soy protein conglomeration? Better to not eat anything. A typical burger from a junk factory like that throws the day farther off than just your 20%. It will take days to rid your system of all that artificial and toxic sludge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast