Thread: Pain in the Butt from Sprinting (Ischial Tuberosity) page

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Pain in the Butt from Sprinting (Ischial Tuberosity)

Shop Now
    I got this in my left buttock last year from sprinting. Stopped for a bit. Now it's on the right side as my volume of sprinting has gone up. I used to do 10 x 100-meter sprints but reduced it to 50 meters this year. It feels like the hip joint capsule is irritated. Anyone know how to cure it, treat it, prevent it? Thanks.

I went to see a physical therapist yesterday. He got me on the massage table and did myofascial release therapy. Ischial Tuberosity is the bony part of the bottom of your ass that you sit on (one for each cheek). The hamstring originates there, so he really nailed the muscle for an hour and I was screaming, then he prescribed some hamstring and butt stretches. Will be back to see him again in a week. He said if I had continued sprinting, the hamstring would likely tear at that butt bone. The massage really relieved a lot of the pain and tension.

Charley is offline Member
    Thank you for this information. This is exactly what I have been experiencing from a sprint session I did 5weeks ago and still nagging. I have been to chiropractor that has offer some relief for an inbalance in hips. Massage is scheduled....

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Did the doctor say if there was a way to prevent it other than *not* sprinting? Is it a form thing? Genetic? Just wondering. I don't have it and don't think I ever have.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

The PT told me that I have to stop sprinting and let the hamstring heal. You can really feel the pain when sprinting and sitting. I am skipping rope and doing kettlebell swings and snatches for primal cardio instead, which I cleared with the PT, but will stop if that irritates the injury.

Doctors will likely prescribe ibuprofen, rest and ice. They can also inject hydrocortisone there but it's too close to my family jewels and other valuables that I don't think I want to go that route. I Googled Ischial Tuberosity and found a doctor in Chicago that uses prolotherapy injections. I believe that's injecting saline solution or concentrated blood plasma into the injury. Don't have that in here in Japan.

BTW, myofascial release is also known as ART for Active Release Technique. If you can find good practioners, they are worth their weight in gold.

Charley. I'm glad I could help you. Let me know how it goes. That's what's great about this MDA forum. We have common interests and can help each other reach our goals.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I'm studying to be a Physical Therapy Assistant. I think you should let it heal, and when you start again, work on strengthening your hip flexors (iliopsoas group) and quads, especially the big one that crosses the hip and knee (rectus femoris). If your hammy's are tight, your quads and hip flexors could be stretched. If a muscle is too stretched out, it can grow weak. Hmm... how that translates, work on picking your knees up when you run?
    Last edited by PoisonApple; 07-30-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: grammar
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Right on. I do those hip flexor-quad stretches with a swiss ball. The reason why the PT didn't prescribe those is that he noticed the extraordinarily tight hammies and wanted to keep it simple in terms of attacking the problem. I'm sure he may prescribe more as I progress with this. Thanks.

Update: Aug. 15. Therapist gave the go-ahead to try out sprinting. So on Friday, I did 10 x 50 meters. I could really fly and it felt good after a couple of warm up sprints. But that evening, it stiffened up and I had a recurrence. On Saturday, I went back for another myofascial massage, and the therapist said it would be better if I stopped sprinting for three weeks. I suspect what is happening is that one or more of the hamstrings is shortening and pulling on a tear at the Ischial Tuberosity, or sitz bone. Still very painful. Continuiing other workouts such as weights, bodyweight, kettlebells, skipping rope and swimming without any acute pain.l I bike 30 minutes to and from work and I am wondering if that may be a factor. The bike trip is comfortably paced, no rush.