Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried that I'm losing too much weight after discovering the Primal B! page 2

Cal. is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by masstsnkimo View Post
    I'd like to lift more heavy things, but I got tendonitis in both wrists which are still recovering (nearly there), so I'm guessing the only way of building up arm, ab and core muscles without using my wrists are things like the plank, and anything else that tenses my arms?
    You should be able to find many exercises you can do (with your own bodyweight, no equipment) in You Are Your Own Gym. All my "lift heavy things" exercises come from there.

I hope that's some help. Wishing your wrists a speedy recovery!

masstsnkimo is offline Junior Member
    Thank you very much! I will check the book out.

I think doing the plank for about 2 minutes every day (then my lower back pain kicks in), 150 squats a day and about 20 of these will help increase my abs, minimise back pain and may strengthen my arms a bit.

Am still honestly worried that I'm going to get skinny very quickly! Is having hummus ok? I've upped my daily carrots to 4 and may up my daily intake of eggs to 3 (is that too many?)

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Honestly there is nothing wrong with rapid weight loss if its due solely to a healthy diet. I have lost as much as 20 lbs in 2 weeks, and 20 lbs a month in 2 consecutive months.

If you are starving your body your body will tell you. Are you hungry or are you satisfied with your meals?

And finally, even if on the odd chance you are losing too much weight, you really can't be the judge of anything without a scale to measure by.

As for appearances, your body can slim up even without losing weight if you are exercising enough to be replacing fat with muscle.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are burning up muscle. But without numbers, just an educated guess.

Wildwabbit, you're right, I should be the judge based on if I'm still hungry and if I'm noticeably getting thinner. I need to buy a weighing scale (I will do that today).

Pyro13g, what makes you think this? How can I avoid this? I definitely don't want this to happen!

Ok so here are my full dimensions and activities. According to this app I use on my iPhone

24 years old
    Height - 5 ft 11" (1m 79cm)
    Weight - 75kg/165lb
    Body fat - 15%
    Lean muscle - 76% (I can give body dimensions if you like)

I play soccer quite intensely for 1.5 hours a week
    I play soccer full-on intensely for 17 minutes a week
    I walk for an hour almost every day (quite briskly)
    I cycle about 3 times a week for around 30 mins-1 hour
    I cycle for 1-2 hours once a week - can be quite hilly too
    I do 75 squats, and the plank for 1.5-2 minutes every morning

Yesterday I ate (all organic):

Breakfast:
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1/2 tin of baked beans

Snack:
    1 red apple

Lunch:
    Mixed salad with around 3 tbl spoons of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar

Snack:
    1 Banana

Dinner (all veg steamed):
    1/2 tin of canned tuna
    1/2 a red pepper
    2-3 heaped tbl spoons of brocolli
    2 heaped tbl spoons of mushrooms
    3 tbl heaps of green/French beans
    3 carrots
    4 heaped tablespoons of carrots
    Passata/pasta sauce made with chili powder and onions (no salt or sugar)
    Mature cheddar cheese
    Pepper

Desert/snack:
    100g Yoghurt
    1 tbl spoon of maple syrup
    5 walnuts
    5 almonds
    1 tbl spoon of pecan nuts

The total nutrition for all of the above (I can give individual food stats if someone is interested - I wrote it down from all packaging) is:

Calories - 1888 kcal
    Fat - 104g
    Trans Fat - 0g
    Saturated Fat - 26g
    Poly Unsat Fat - 3g
    Mono Unsat Fat - 33g
    Cholesterol - 154mg
    Sodium - 922mg
    Carbs - 158g
    Net carbs - 122g
    Fiber - 36g
    Sugars - 73g
    Protein - 58g
    Calcium - 755mg

How are my protein, fat and carb levels? I'm worried about my low calorie consumption for someone as active as me (only 1888) and low protein (58g).

I could add another 2 eggs in the morning (total 4) I could add 12g protein and 140g calories.
    I could eat a whole tin of tuna for another 136g of calories and 32g of protein

Is there anything else I can do? I've researched about body fat/muscle and the PB recommendation of protein, fat and carbs, but I'm honestly confused and even more worried that I'm going to lose too much weight and feel weak! My cycle ride today felt a bit harder.

Any recommendations extremely welcome! Thank you!

kepo is offline Junior Member
    Just a quick "my experience" reply. About 2 and half years ago I was following the primal blueprint and doing Crossfit. I broke my left elbow and wasn't able to lift heavy anymore like Back squats, power cleans ext... So I did a lot of endurance type met cons and lost 20lbs. I started out 5'11" 175lbs and dropped to 155lbs in a short amount of time. Once I was back to my self again I gained about 10lbs and I still maintain that today. I didn’t loose a lot of strength and quickly gained it back. So basically I lost some muscle mass from the excess cardio but I had a few extra pounds anyway. So it may be the amount of cardio but that was just me.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Wildwabbit, you're right, I should be the judge based on if I'm still hungry and if I'm noticeably getting thinner. I need to buy a weighing scale (I will do that today).

Pyro13g, what makes you think this? How can I avoid this? I definitely don't want this to happen!

I said it because it sounded like you are at a calorie deficit and not doing the right thing (intense strength training) to convince your body to spare muscle. I see from your detail sample that this could be what is happening or going to happen eventually. Being the first week of primal there could be a lot of change in water weight. You always hear those stories " I lost 10 pounds" in my first two weeks, right? That's mostly water weight.

I would only worry about learning about muscle loss at a calorie deficit, how to lessen it and or prevent it, and sarcopenia(age related muscle loss).
    Last edited by pyro13g; 07-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I'll bear in mind that it could be water weight which could be the (not extremely drastic) change in my physique.

My concern is that I'm not sure how to build up my strength/muscle because:

* I have both wrists recovering from serious injuries and even lifting a heavy shopping bag in the wrong way can push it back by a week's recovery
    * I have very bad lower back pain so I can't do the plank for longer than 1 minute.

So how do I build up my arm strength without using my wrists and how do I tone my abs without messing up my lower back?

* Would tensing my arms and core muscles when sitting/walking around help?
    * I can do the Powerball for quite a while on my wrist, maybe that will help?

I'm not really sure what my options are...

I have upped my protein by having 4 eggs and more meat now!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'll bear in mind that it could be water weight which could be the (not extremely drastic) change in my physique.

My concern is that I'm not sure how to build up my strength/muscle because:

* I have both wrists recovering from serious injuries and even lifting a heavy shopping bag in the wrong way can push it back by a week's recovery
    * I have very bad lower back pain so I can't do the plank for longer than 1 minute.

So how do I build up my arm strength without using my wrists and how do I tone my abs without messing up my lower back?

* Would tensing my arms and core muscles when sitting/walking around help?
    * I can do the Powerball for quite a while on my wrist, maybe that will help?

I'm not really sure what my options are...

I have upped my protein by having 4 eggs and more meat now!
    I'm not sure about the wrist problem, but I've had great success with reducing back problems from doing back bridges, as explained in Convict Conditioning. They walk you through basic to advanced forms of bridges to strengthen your glutes and the spine erector muscles.

Also, the ab work there is lifting your legs, which is much easier on your back than lifting your torso.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast