Thread: how far can you push before its too much? page

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member

how far can you push before its too much?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone, im really looking to push it into high gear and really increase my overall athleticism...i want to create a program which really works all aspects of fitness whilst staying as true to the philosophy that less is better in that ill keep all my workouts short n sweet..ive already got it in my mind that twice a week ill do the PB cycles of pushup,pullup,squat,plank,handstand and dips to really build strength and muscular endurance..sprints once a week at least to really build cardiovascular strength as well as walking every bloody moment i can lol but in my mind as great as that mix is 3 days a week doesnt correlate to creating a very fit body...and i mean VERY FIT! i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on things i can add in on same day or the other 4 days which will hit many different areas and rlly push me to my limit while allowing me some measure of rest....ive already started to stretch 5 days a week at night as well...and im thinking of swimming..altho in winter i cant... ? im also quite fond of my punching bag lol...

i have this general idea tell me if you think its just too much!
    day 1-PB bodyweight cycle
    day 2 -swimming-stretching
    day 3-30-60 min on the punching bag-stretching
    day 4-PB bodyweight cycle
    day 5-sprint-stretching
    day6-stretching
    day7-stretching
    id like to maybe add 30min on the punching bag to day 6 and 7 as well but is it too much?
    i know many people dont consider stretching a workout but mine are generally hour long sessions really pushing to inc. flexibility and muscular endurance! my main focus is things i can do at home or outside! so if u have any ideas or just really think its too much id love to hear ur thoughts!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Trying to quantify "too much" for someone else is hard to do. I know what my work capacity is and I can/could do what you have posted (including the punching bag on days 6 and 7). Give it a shot, make sure you eat enough to help recover from the days activities and really pay attention to how you feel each day. I don't see this as implausible, but if you eat like a bird and don't get enough sleep you will be dead by day 3. Lots of variables.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    adding the punching bag is a great idea. i wish i still had one; they're fun and and a good work out and a great way to let off some steam. i might also put in the triathlon sports...not necessarily all three all the time, but every now and then go for a run, a ride or a swim. as long as you're not training in those hard every day they will not be chronic cardio, and they are great activities for all around fitness.

and, of course, if you want to be athletic, train like an athlete. go hard, and rest.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound too much to me. Lots of folks here, including Mark, are somewhat down on stretching. But it seems like a healthy daily exercise. I assume that what you do falls into the lots of slow movement range. Everything else you do sounds just right too.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    lol icarian if i drop dead by day 3 youll be the first person i come to as a ghost to say damn i dont think i slept enough! haha any thoughts on whether its better to slowly go into it all as in maybe doing only certain days of training then the next week add another etc..or is it better to just jump into the whole routine..more fatigue at first cuz the bodies not used to it but faster adaptation?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    any thoughts on whether its better to slowly go into it all as in maybe doing only certain days of training then the next week add another etc..or is it better to just jump into the whole routine..more fatigue at first cuz the bodies not used to it but faster adaptation?
    i'm a fan of just jumping into new things. yeah, you'll probably be a little tired and maybe have some DOMS at first...but you might not and they will go away quickly anyway. if grok had to make a lifestyle change, he didn't ease into it; he would just eat and rest the amount that his body needed to recover.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I managed to over do my punching bag for a while last winter. I was doing a couple punching rotations at the end of all of my workings week in and week out. My forearms were starting to hurt and I ignored them and toughed it out for a while. I realized that I had gone past the healthy workout buzz and cut the bag work out entirely for a while. I've recently starting adding in the occasional short session and I may increase the frequency at some point but never close to the level I was at before.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i'm a fan of just jumping into new things. yeah, you'll probably be a little tired and maybe have some DOMS at first...but you might not and they will go away quickly anyway. if grok had to make a lifestyle change, he didn't ease into it; he would just eat and rest the amount that his body needed to recover.
    Agree 100%
    Just go full blast. Anything less is just making excuses.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

ryry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    work you ass off off for 6-8weeks then make a plan, pick a new program, evaluate possible injury states etc. any time you are just starting something new you are going to adapt quickly. get a good stretching book. you dont want to overdo stretching because its something you decided is good. lots of people get really happy going crazy with stretching. your body doesnt care what YOU THINK is good. if you want to increase athleticism the last thing you want are lax ligaments from improper stretching techniques.