Thread: Not adding up for me (ketosis question) page

akm3 is offline Member

Not adding up for me (ketosis question)

I'm confused.

If being in ketosis is what burns up fat, creating ketones. And the body uses fat by creating ketones. Then a person not in ketosis is not burning fat. I know this statement is NOT true, but why?

If you are not in ketosis, on a traditional low fat/high carb diet, but you are losing weight, some of the weight is fat and some is lean tissue. But, if you are losing fat, and you aren't burning it (creating ketones) then where is the fat going/how are you losing it/how is your body using it?

My premise that 'losing/burning fat = body burning it = ketones" is obviously flawed, so please help me understand what is actually happening.

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    The way the term ketosis is generally used is not quite right.

You generate ketones from fat all the time no matter how high in carb your diet. You will generate more ketones the less carbohydrate you take in, because this increases the demand on fat/ketones for energy. Other ways to increase ketone production include fasting (especially during sleep) and exercise.

A ketogenic diet is one in which a lot of ketones are produced, sometimes to the effect that they cannot all be used and some are excreted in the urine, sweat and breath. This effect is what people like to think of ketosis, but it is not accurate. Once one has fully adapted to metabolizing ketones at a higher rate, aka a ketogenic diet, ketone excretion will decrease as more ketones are metabolized.

Being "in ketosis" is short hand for "excreteing ketones".

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    ketones are always produced in the fat burning process, ketosis is just the state where an excess of ketones is present in the body, enough for a measurable amount, (i.e. ketostix)

akm3 is offline Member
    Why would the body excrete ketones instead of reabsorbing into fat unused energy?

Paleobird Guest
    Ketones are the by-product of the fat burning, not the energy source itself.

akm3 is offline Member
    THIS IS SO HELPFUL! But wait, wait, wait. So this means if I'm always making ketones all the time and burning fat, all the time, that the less carbs I eat the more I'll burn. So why do people freak out that 'OH NO I'VE BEEN KNOCKED OUT OF KETOSIS BY EATING A BLUEBERRY!' - Doesn't that just mean that they aren't making SO many ketones that it is leaking out their urine? It's not like fat has stopped burning in your body or anything right?

So going out of your way to be in Ketosis is completely unnecessary to burning fat and being healthy, BUT the less carbs you feed your self, the more the body will rely on fat.

Do I get it?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    generally being in ketosis means your body is using fat as its primary fuel source, thus you lose body fat at a faster rate. being knocked out of ketosis by eating a blueberry to use your example, means your body has went back to using other sources (carbs/glucose) as its primary fuel which slows the rate of body fat loss

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
    THIS IS SO HELPFUL! But wait, wait, wait. So this means if I'm always making ketones all the time and burning fat, all the time, that the less carbs I eat the more I'll burn. So why do people freak out that 'OH NO I'VE BEEN KNOCKED OUT OF KETOSIS BY EATING A BLUEBERRY!' - Doesn't that just mean that they aren't making SO many ketones that it is leaking out their urine? It's not like fat has stopped burning in your body or anything right?

So going out of your way to be in Ketosis is completely unnecessary to burning fat and being healthy, BUT the less carbs you feed your self, the more the body will rely on fat.

Do I get it?
    Yep I'd agree and hopefully it will help others to "get it" as well - in the Primal Blueprint Mark Suggests 50-100g of carbs per day for being the optimum for long term fat burning, not super low ie under 50g Ketosis levels which the forums often seem to imply.

The bottom of Marks suggested pyramid is fruit and veg not meat which is also misunderstood on here - its just advised to keep to low carb alternatives - ie berries rather than bananas so you get loads for your carbs used ie 400g of strawberries is only 32 carbs which is a huge amount and about twice you'd need to feel strawberried up every day if you ate them regularly. Bananas on the other hand have around the same amount of carbs for one 8.5 inch one.

Personally I think its far healthier to have the higher levels of carbs as its more sustainable long term and feels more like a way of eating rather than a restrictive diet, which for those of us with a fair amount of weight to firstly get rid of and then keep off long term is crucial to actual get the results we want - ie to look and be slim and fit without having to go hungry of feel like we're giving up anything to achieve it,
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A pretty good summation of what happens when you're fat adapted: Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.