Thread: 30% - 50% Guideline page

g2baker is offline Member

Shop Now

Based on this article I read on aging and disease, I'm going to continue to do 2 IF's/wk.

http://www.gizmag.com/dietary-restriction-aging-and-disease/13436/?tm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=e716fed 87e-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

The premise is that if you reduce 30% of your diet you can increase your life span by 50%. Researchers were trying to pinpoint how much to cut back on without any of the negative effects of cutting out too much calories. They found 30% to be the best target. Small amount of negative side effects with maximum amount of health benefits. BUT this research was done on rats so I wouldn't expect that us humans would see the same results. However, your body is not working as hard to process all that food and not taxing your system as much. Hopefully there would be side effects of living longer and healthier by cutting 30%.

What do you think about this article and do you think that cutting out 30% is too much, or should we cut out more? Is there other research that had targeted and optimal amount to reduce caloric intake by IF's?

mstrudle is offline Member

You are confusing caloric restriction (CR) and intermittent fasting (IF). CR and IF will give you some benefits when you practice them semi-regularly, but the best when you practice constantly. You should read the rhesus monkey study to see the benefits of constant 30% CR over years: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/science/10aging.html

There is some human anecdotal evidence that IF produces similar results to CR, but no comprehensive studies have yet been undertaken.

g2baker is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

I think I am confused about your comment! IF is a form of calorie restriction. Hence, I'm saying I'm going to do 2 IF's per week as a new goal for myself. The question that I was posing was do people out there think 30% too much, too little. Any additional thoughts would be nice. Anyone out there doing 2 IF's/week. Anyone doing more? What are your experiences. Have you noticed any other benefits to your health as a result of IF'ing? (besides weight loss).