Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedroom not dark enough: any ideas? page

Jilk is offline Junior Member

Bedroom not dark enough: any ideas?

Primal Fuel
    I just can't get my bedroom dark enough, the windows are too large and the walls are too crumbly to hold up heavy curtains or stuff like that. But since sleeping in a room that is bright enough to read tabloid headlines in at night does no longer work for me, I came up with a slightly weird idea: I thought that I could build something cave-like around my bed. I love to sleep in confined spaces anyway.

So far I thought I could build a frame out of plastic pipes and make a cover out of black fleece (the synthetic stuff) blankets, held together with velcro, so that the whole thing can be disassembled when necessary.

Better ideas?

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Or you know, get a sleeping mask
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    2nd the sleep mask. I hated them until I found one with room for me to blink my eyes. I have this one.

You could also try affixing black out material or shades within the window frame rather than curtain rods to the walls. If you'd really like curtains, than it would be worth taking the time to find the studs. If the studs are crumbling, you've got bigger problems.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilk View Post
    I just can't get my bedroom dark enough, the windows are too large and the walls are too crumbly to hold up heavy curtains or stuff like that. But since sleeping in a room that is bright enough to read tabloid headlines in at night does no longer work for me, I came up with a slightly weird idea: I thought that I could build something cave-like around my bed. I love to sleep in confined spaces anyway.

So far I thought I could build a frame out of plastic pipes and make a cover out of black fleece (the synthetic stuff) blankets, held together with velcro, so that the whole thing can be disassembled when necessary.

Better ideas?
    Brilliant I like it. Make a sleeping cave.

gonna thing about that myown self

i know ppl who use painters tape and aluminum foil
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    You can do like most of the night-shift workers I know, and just tape aluminum foil to the windows. Blocks 100% of light, weighs next to nothing, and keeps out government mind-control beams as a bonus (I kid, of course...)
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Back in college, I ghetto rigged a canopy by thumbtacking 10' lengths of fabric to the ceiling. With all the hassle of that, and my distaste for stale air, I'd veto it, but to each their own.
    I had to hunt for a while to find an eye mask that would accomodate a tiny (read, child size) head without pinching my ears and leave me room to blink. Now that I have it, I LOVE IT. I'd highly recommend trying out an eyemask prior to spending the money and effort on the "cave."
    We also took the styrofoam/ foil insulation stuff (the stiff kind you use on the outside of the house) and cut it to fit the windows and shoved it in there. It's light enough it wouldn't cause problems with your walls and should block most of the light.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    I use a sleeping mask (and earplugs as well) and tinfoil's not a bad idea, either. Certainly less labor-intensive than a sleeping cave. Of course, if you really want to go the whole nine yards, you could build a traditional four-poster bed and hang it with Medieval-style tapestries.

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudenveri View Post
    Of course, if you really want to go the whole nine yards, you could build a traditional four-poster bed and hang it with Medieval-style tapestries.
    That sounds awesome!

I think I remember Mark quoting a study where a quarter-sized point of light shone on the back of someone's knee decreased melatonin production. So I would probably try to black out the windows as opposed to a sleeping mask. Conversely, I don't have A/C so we just use fans in the windows to bring in the cool night air so at least in the summer a sleeping mask sounds a lot nicer than stopping the airflow!

Jilk is offline Junior Member
    I can't stand sleeping masks, tried them, no success (I hate it when stuff touches the bridge of my nose, so the blinking one would not help). I was also told that they should not be worn on a regular basis, because the climate under the mask makes eye infections more likely.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    My son just did his window this weekend ... brown mailer paper (had more of that than foil), then a dark microfleece close to the window, rehung the mini blinds and the dark curtains. Temps are better in there now too.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast