Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Producers of Beef Jerky page

pjgh is online now Senior Member

UK Producers of Beef Jerky

Shop Now
    I've eaten a number of bags of jerky from these people: Coan | Biltong and Jerky - no MSG, no artificial flavours and no nut, wheat or gluten.

Does anyone know of other suppliers?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    I've eaten a number of bags of jerky from these people: Coan | Biltong and Jerky - no MSG, no artificial flavours and no nut, wheat or gluten.

Does anyone know of other suppliers?
    Yes, Susmans:

Susmans Best Beef Biltong Co Ltd - Home Page

Unfortunately, although they do springbok, ostrich, etc., the only biltong they do that hasn't got flavourings in is the beef. I mean, why do I want hydrolysed vegetable protein added to my ostrich meat? It is grassfed Scotch beef. I have stopped buying it though, because they do add sugar. There's probably not much in there, but I'm past the point where I'll put up with anyone adding sugar to my meat. The same may apply to the people you quote—since they what don't say is "no sugar".

I think in general it's best to look for the name "biltong" rather than the name "jerky". They mean the same and probably originally were the same—just dried strips of meat and nothing else. Nowadays, "jerky" has become a code-word for "over-spiced and contains lots of crap besides".

You could try googling with a judicious selection of search terms. I just tried "organic biltong"—purely in the basis that anyone who's wants an organic product probably doesn't want additives either. That did find me this:

Organic Beef Biltong - dry beef snacks - Organic Meat & Food @ Laverstoke Park

That seems to be just beef, salt, pepper, and coriander. That's more like it. It looks like it has a decent amount of fat on, too. I notice the people you posted—Coan—actually boast that theirs is lean. All in line with the mythology of the Conventional Wisdom I guess—besides giving a longer shelf-life to those little plastic packets they're using.

RedRuth is offline Junior Member
    I have had some nice jerky from biltongcompany.co.uk - I think there may be some sugar but no other nasties. Lovely and chewy and spicy.

I can cope with a little sugar - it's not like I've ever wolfed down litres of soda

I think Coan's brand have sugar in, too ... I would check, but I've eaten the box of 10 I just bought mail order I'll send them an e-mail pointing them to a real market niche that I am sure they would want to exploit! Paleo Jerky. If you guys enjoy another brand, spread the word - let them know that more people would be interested if they were to run a no sugar line.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Liz Hurley makes beef jerky

Liz Hurley's guilt-free beef jerky | Life and style | The Guardian

But Shane is puttingg his weight loss down to shakes.

'Wax-work' Warnie whipped into shape - but not by Liz

Either way he looks really strange.
    Life. Be in it.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Have a go at making your own, it's easy, you can make up your own flavours and it's a hell of a lot cheaper

I've used cuts from brisket, to beef heart to sirloin, and to be honest once it's jerky and you've added some flavour (I usually soak mine in a little tamarin sauce and a healthy sprinkling of ground black pepper) you can't tell the difference between the cuts. Another flavour I'm playing with at the moment is fresh lime and ground/flaked chilli & cacao nibs.

Bits with fat are lovely and juicy, but apparently you should use lean meat because the fat can go rancid. But my jerky never hangs around long enough for that to happen

My two nieces (9 & 3) can't get enough of it! The bigger and chewier the bits the better as far as they're concerned.
    Last edited by Misabi; 08-05-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Misabi
    in my local supermarket, they sell carpaccio, very thin slices of beef, that are meant to be eaten raw. Do you think I could use that and put it in a low oven?
    Life. Be in it.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    You could, but you'd have to keep a very close eye on it or it could easily get very dry and crunchy.
    The batch I made last week was sirloin that I'd sliced some too thinly ( 2 to 3 mm) which tasted great but ended up snapping rather than just bending and tearing, as it should. I think that's why I prefer the bigger chunks, they stay chewier.

But as long as all the pieces that you're drying are the same thickness it should be easier to manage.

Set your oven on the fan oven setting if it has it, temp around 50 to 60 degrees C and leave the door open a little, as you want the air flow to wick away the moisture.

I'm going to try it. Thanks
    Life. Be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    That it! I'm getting some of that!

Liz would be better off dumping that odd guy and running off with me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast