Thread: Ketosis and Drug tests page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Ketosis and Drug tests

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've read a few things that make me think that Ketosis could give a false positive for Marijuana...and I'm going to take a drug test to work at Walgreens. Should I tell the person at the test center that I'm on this diet? Anyone have any experience with such an issue? I also read that with a lab test they can rule out Marijuana, but they may just call it a positive and say I can't work if I don't mention it.

I'm thinking its best to mention it...not sure. They could think I'm trying to make excuses and they won't do the extra test because it costs more money than the general analysis?

Most days I'm pretty sure I'm in the Ketosis range so I really don't want to not get hired because I'm trying to lose weight...that would be very annoying. (Ketosis is showing as a misspelled word lol is this part of the browsers spell-check function? I wonder how I would go about getting them to add it :P)(I know I can add it to my dictionary by right clicking, but that wouldn't add it to the general one.)
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of that. I went VLC actually in order to pass a test (and I did) so while I'm not positive I was in ketosis (didn't test myself) I would assume I was at least close to it after two weeks of minimal carb intake.

I wouldn't suggest raising ANY suspicion around drug test time, so keep your mouth shut. If you don't partake in marijuana you will be just fine. If you do partake then stop, but definitely "carb up" prior to your test and don't do anything to mobilize fat (don't exercise for at least two days prior). THC gets stored in fat cells, ketosis uses them up but also makes impurities in your fat available in blood and urine, so you'd test dirty as hell (aka positive) for THC if you smoke AND are actively in ketosis when you test.

So, to recap, if you don't smoke, you have nothing to worry about but it wouldn't hurt to up your carbs a bit two days prior to the test if you're truly worried about a false positive, you should be able to slip back into ketosis easily. If you do smoke, don't go into the test in ketosis. Good luck.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice ....too bad I went before I saw the post and told them about what I read. I don't think it'll be an issue as long as the test isn't positive...or I hope so. If I don't get this job because I said something they thought was suspicious .....

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Thanks for the advice ....too bad I went before I saw the post and told them about what I read. I don't think it'll be an issue as long as the test isn't positive...or I hope so. If I don't get this job because I said something they thought was suspicious .....
    They can't assume anything just because you said it. If the test comes back negative, they can't report anything but that, so you'll be just fine. If you test false-positive they may take what you said into account, but I think in that instance you can ask to re-test anyway. A lot of people don't know what ketosis is, the lab attendants in particular may be completely ignorant of that, they just collect samples they don't test it themselves so they may note it which would play in your favor.

I think you'll be fine. Also I'm pretty sure they contact you first if you tested positive or false positive, if you don't hear from them you're in the clear.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    They can't assume anything just because you said it. If the test comes back negative, they can't report anything but that, so you'll be just fine. If you test false-positive they may take what you said into account, but I think in that instance you can ask to re-test anyway. A lot of people don't know what ketosis is, the lab attendants in particular may be completely ignorant of that, they just collect samples they don't test it themselves so they may note it which would play in your favor.

I think you'll be fine. Also I'm pretty sure they contact you first if you tested positive or false positive, if you don't hear from them you're in the clear.
    +1

Yes, I work in HR and know we can't do anything based upon what you say. If the test is positive, (I'm not sure how THC works with fat, etc), it should go to a medical review officer. They speak with the officer and let them know that you eat primally, etc and what that entails... I guess I should learn more about this; had never thought about this, but my employer is now 100% hair test which as far as I am aware you cannot get a false positive but it goes back further than a urine test...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)