Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me To Love Salmon page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Help Me To Love Salmon

Primal Fuel
    I know I should be eating more of it but I merely tolerate it, barely like it, and certainly don't love it. I need your best recipes! I have 2 gorgeous fillets in my refrigerator begging to wow me.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I just baked two fillets the other day with a tablespoon or two of butter then finished them with some salt and pepper. I think it was 400F, skin side up for ~6 minutes then skin side down for another 4 or less. But that recipes just highlights the flavor of the fish itself.

There are some good recipes in How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. I will try to remember to post some of them when I get home.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Close your eyes! Now think....Oh how I love salmon! ;-). Couldn't resist.
    Have you tried some butter and garlic in a toaster oven? Quick and easy! With asparagus spears on the side...cooked in the same pan!

Good luck!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Make up a bouillon and poach the salmon in it. You could retrieve it once poached, even let it cook and flake it over some salad. Leave it in the bouillon and make up a thick stew with any vegetables you like - carrots, celery, asparagus, that kind of thing. Finally, pour over some heavy cream, a good handful of chopped dill and enjoy.

Have you looked into gravlax? You don't have to include the sugar in your recipe (although a dab of honey isn't going to be a huge issue), but salted and plenty of dill will lend a really nice flavour. Serve with lemon wedges, caviar and firm lettuce leaves, or over paleo bread of flaxseed flour and pumpkin seeds for a heavy Scandinavian-style bread. Smoked salmon is another potential - the added smoky flavour might mask what you don't like about the fish.

What about Sashimi? Raw is an entirely different taste sensation to cooked salmon. There's also Ceviche, where the fish is "cooked" in lemon or lime juice - great with lime juice and again, entirely different to cooked salmon. You can wrap cooled prawns in salmon ceviche, or wrap it around asparagus; that kind of thing.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    This is the BEST Salmon recipe ever. Seriously, my hubby and I couldn't stop eating it. It's Roasted Mango-Habanero Glazed Salmon. Basically it's putting roasted mango, onion, garlic, and habanero togther in a food processor and smearing it all over the top of the salmon before cooking. It's heaven, I promise!

My husband and I like a good, sweet heat and I was out of habaneros the first time I made it so I used a little scotch bonnet hot sauce instead of the habanero. It was wonderful!
    Last edited by jqbancroft; 07-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I know I should be eating more of it but I merely tolerate it, barely like it, and certainly don't love it. I need your best recipes! I have 2 gorgeous fillets in my refrigerator begging to wow me.
    NOPE,
    Salmon is soon to be endangered, if you dont like it ( marinaded in ginger/onion/garlic/redpepper flakes OR just salt and pepper seared for 4 minutes on both sides on a rocket hot cast iron skillet using bacon grease as a lubricant and then baked off in a 400 degree oven for 5 more minute then spinled with fresh dill/chives/basil and butter ) then i will eat your share
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    this is the best salmon recipe ever. Seriously, my hubby and i couldn't stop eating it. It's roasted mango-habanero glazed salmon. Basically it's putting roasted mango, onion, garlic, and habanero togther in a food processor and smearing it all over the top of the salmon before cooking. It's heaven, i promise!

My husband and i like a good sweet, heat and i was out of habaneros the first time i made it so i used a little scotch bonnet hot sauce instead of the habanero. It was wonderful!
    holey mother of god!!!!

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm not crazy about salmon unless it's smoked or in a can Maybe I just haven't had it with the right toppings.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    If it's the "fishiness", I suggest poaching then pairing with a flavorful salsa, like this pineapple ginger:

Frugal & Healthy Cookouts | Modern Gal

Quote Originally Posted by Egoldstein View Post
    If it's the "fishiness", I suggest poaching then pairing with a flavorful salsa, like this pineapple ginger:

Frugal & Healthy Cookouts | Modern Gal
    if it is fishy throw it out fishy fish is rotten fish

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast