Thread: Low Blood Pressure and Paleo page

rmshill is offline Junior Member

Low Blood Pressure and Paleo

My normal BP is 85/56 and on an American diet I feel fine. I have started and stopped paleo too many times to count over the last year. I love the diet and would really like to continue but I feel awful on it. I am fine for about a week or 2 and then one day I feel weak, faint and dizzy and wind up binging on carbs...which afterwards I feel fine. I have even gone 4 weeks before I started to feel faint. I don't think it's the carb flu b/c it isn't predictable when it happens. It could be one day and not another, after 1 week, after 4 weeks.

I have been doing research to figure out why this happens and am starting to see a link with low carb and the lowering of BP.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so any advise on what can I do to stay on the diet?

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I also have low BP - and I noticed that one thing that happened when I went primal was that my salt intake plummeted. I think for most people this would be a good thing, but I had to start adding more salt to things.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Maybe don't go too low on carbs. Have some sweet potato or rice every day. If you stay in the 100-150 grams of carbs range you should be good.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It could be the lowering of sodium or the initial water weight loss/adjustment. If you suffer from hypotension, you should make sure you consume enough fluids. It also could be an issue with your blood sugar instead of blood pressure.