Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh oh potato! page 3

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post

I've made fries at home the last few times we've had them, and my kids now ask me for my homemade ones instead of the frozen ones. Just toss them in some olive oil (try adding chili powder for a cool change) before putting them on parchment on a baking sheet (easy to control how much you use, measure it before adding to a large bowl). A couple tablespoons is enough for a huge batch of fries.
    Sounds great - can you post temperatures, times etc? Can't wait to give this a whirl!

I kind of agree with potatoes making you gain weight. I definitely gain weight with potatoes.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    I think you're my Polish sister. I'm thinking of going to Poland this summer. I wonder how many different ways I could eat taters there?

Sweet potatoes? What would life be like without them?

I think it's time for a trip to the Polish grocery. They were closed last Sunday when I tried.
    Of course they were closed! They were at church!

Go to Poland. For me. I haven't been in 19 years. 19 years!!!

You will eat potatoes the following ways:

Mashed, with sour cream, butter, s&p
    Boiled, cut into chunks, then fried in butter and green onions
    This is a 'lite' lunch/dinner: two fried eggs (in butter), boiled potatoes and a glass of mashlanka (this is KEFIR!)
    "Kartoflak" - potato pie with eggs and bacon
    "Klusky" - potato dumplings, however, these are made with flour
    Potato pancakes, again made with flour but OMG SO EFFING GOOD
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I'll let you know if I go! I have to say, I'd probably have a potato pancake or two as part of my 20%. It would be much too difficult to resist.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    The truth is that is not the potatoes per se that are making you gain weight, it's the total caloric intake in the day. Anyways, fried potatoes are very caloric dense and that's why most people eating them gain weight.
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Baked potatoes keep me slim

Potatoes cooked in oil make me gain fat.

= fat makes you fat.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Sounds great - can you post temperatures, times etc? Can't wait to give this a whirl!
    My oven fries: Slice scrubbed but unpeeled potatoes using a mandolin on the biggest setting or cut into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch sticks lengthwise. Put in a large bowl and add 1-2 tbsp olive oil or other liquid fat of choice. Stir around vigorously to coat the potatoes with oil. Add salt, black pepper and toss again. Other spices can be added for variety to the basic recipe.

Spread single layer on a baking sheet, preferably one with sides. I use oil-spray on the baking sheet, but parchment paper would work just as well. 400 F oven, let cook for the first 20 min or so, then pull out and flip them all around and put back in for 10 mins. Repeat the 10 min flip and cook until they are the desired doneness. I just eat one with each flip until I'm happy. About 30-40 min total. They are yummy - make lots. I'm always surprised that three of us can go through about 6 potatoes when made this way.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    "Regardless, the industry and growers are worried. Their biggest concern is that the study will be used to develop agriculture policy; already the industry is fighting proposed nutritional guidelines that cut potatoes down to no more than two servings weekly in school breakfasts and lunches...."

Am I the only one that dreams of the day we no longer have to worry about government policy influencing our food supply?
    Here, let me translate that quote for you: "Their biggest concern is that the study will be used to develop agriculture policy based on science and not paying attention to the high-paid lobbyists from Big Ag.

Potatoes in school breakfasts and lunches is a pretty juicy government contract, and the potato people don't want to lose it.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes in school lunches = frozen processed potato products. Think tater tots, not freshly baked or boiled potatoes. Most schools serve mostly processed foods because although it may be more expensive overall, it requires less expertise and planning and less training for preparers and servers.

They're not even considering the concept that fresh potatoes are a real food. CSPI has said in the past that potatoes don't count as a real food no matter how they are prepared, because most people eat them fried. It's not a rational position.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One trouble with potatoes is we have turned them into a fat delivery system. I love baked potatoes with nothing but a little salt and dipped in ketchup, but until last year, I had never eaten a baked potato that wasn't loaded with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, or other toppings.

Same as french fries. How good are they? How many can you eat? (very/lots), but there is so much oil soaked into them it's crazy--and who fries in lard anymore? But even if fried in lard, is that really the best way to eat potatoes?

I have found many good ways to make healthy potatoes: boiled and mixed with onion and vinegar, baked eaten plain, shredded or cubed and dry-fried, oven french fries, microwave potato chips, boiled and cooled eaten cold w/salt.

Many of those prep methods are even made tastier with a tiny bit of olive oil, butter, or lard, and don't significantly add to your daily fat calories. Many people recommend not eating potatoes on their own, but to eat alongside fat and protein to blunt the blood sugar spiking effect.

I think potatoes should be included as part of a healthy eating plan and not shunned because of the carb content.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123