Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One big time of plenty? page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

One big time of plenty?

Shop Now
    In nature, an abundance of food results in a population boom. When the population grows too high or the food is lessened (drought, natural disasters) then the population falls rapidly.
    Couldn't one make the statement that despite all of our (the human race) success, we are still a part of the natural order?
    Are we not simply in an extended time of plenty?

/end philosophical ramblings
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i can imagine that sometime in the probably not to distant future, something will happen that brings the modern world as we know it to its knees. whether that something is man made or an act of nature who knows. anyways when it does happen things will turn back into a more hunter gatherer survival of the fittest type of world. so to answer your question, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i can imagine that sometime in the probably not to distant future, something will happen that brings the modern world as we know it to its knees. whether that something is man made or an act of nature who knows. anyways when it does happen things will turn back into a more hunter gatherer survival of the fittest type of world. so to answer your question, yes.
    That was a rhetorical question.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Are we not simply in an extended time of plenty?
    Yes. Plenty of wheat! Grown using petroleum oil fertiliser. Oil runs out.......time of plenty over.

Hu2 will survive and adapt.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Doubtful... If man still exists after such a disaster (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world), we won't go back to hunter-gatherers. The people who survive the disaster will still remember to build governments. They'll remember how to harness electricity from streams and turn it into artificial light. They'll remember their table manners and tell kids to wash the dirt off their faces. If a man from civilization still exists and still remembers, we will never go back to hunter-gatherers, unfortunately.

I really just sometimes wish that humans didn't exist at all. I wish I had been born... anything else and humans had never evolved.
    Last edited by Aly; 07-24-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I really just sometimes wish that humans didn't exist at all. I wish I had been born... anything else and humans had never evolved.
    Or perhaps that we hadn't gotten arrogant enough to think ourselves above nature?

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world)
    I think you're out of line there.

Doubtful... If man still exists after such a disaster (which I doubt anything will exist after the Muslims blow up the world), we won't go back to hunter-gatherers. The people who survive the disaster will still remember to build governments. They'll remember how to harness electricity from streams and turn it into artificial light. They'll remember their table manners and tell kids to wash the dirt off their faces. If a man from civilization still exists and still remembers, we will never go back to hunter-gatherers, unfortunately.

well if what happened after katrina is any sign then i suspect the people that would be smart enough to re-figure out all that stuff will likely be killed off by all the crazies in pretty short order

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfeet View Post
    I think you're out of line there.
    It's not politically correct, but what else will wipe us out? Aliens? Only in sci-fi movies. Biological disaster? When's the last time an entire species has been wiped out by disease? Much less one that knows how to cure it's own ailments. Natural disaster? One that wipes out all humans all over the planet? I can't imagine a disaster so large that could wipe out all humans.

well if what happened after katrina is any sign then i suspect the people that would be smart enough to re-figure out all that stuff will likely be killed off by all the crazies in pretty short order
    True. But then all humans will be decedents of the crazies! Let's cross our fingers that wheat wipes out the human race!

Edit: Or at least let's hope wheat wipes out the wheat-eaters.
    Last edited by Aly; 07-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.

an asteroid impact or a very large volcano could certainly kill off all or most humans although i tend to agree with your first example lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast