Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Slesca): attempting primal pregnancy page

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Primal Journal (Slesca): not so pregnant anymore

Primal Fuel
    I'm about 18 weeks pregnant right now. I started incorporating a primal diet and primal fitness in June of 2009 with great success. I found out I was pregnant in September and followed the PB for most of that month. Things started to go downhill in mid-October, as I went to bed at 8 every night, AND our daylight hours were cut substantially. Slowly, my eating habits deteriorated. Not everyday, and not nearly what it was before, but the gradual creep is getting to me.

I'm frustrated with myself- I KNOW how good it feels to eat cleanly, and I KNOW how beneficial it is to stay strong. Why am I eating french fries/sandwiches/cookies/shite crackers? Pregnancy is tough for me; my hard work won't show the kind of results I saw this summer when my 6 pack abs inspired me to say no to nachos. I also won't have the reward of the ever decreasing scale numbers. However, I'm certain that I'll avoid the heartburn, lethargy, and maybe even the pregnancy brain fog if I can straighten up. Therefore, a daily journal.

Starting stats: 5'6", 150 lbs, 28 y.o., 17w 4d preg w/ child #2. (I was 135 lbs before pregnancy) I tolerate dairy pretty well so haven't cut it out entirely. I take fish oil, a pre-natal vite, and 4000IUs of D. When I ate right, I never counted calories and I don't plan on doing that now. Prior to pregnancy, I'd skip breakfast 2-3 times/week or skip lunch on weekends. Skipping meals makes me nauseous right now, but that could be because of the crap in my diet. I'll experiment with that after I clean up my eating for a few weeks.

Today's breakfast at 8 a.m.: (I never have a problem with breakfast)

3 scrambled eggs w/ 1/4 avocado

2 slices uncured, nitrate-free bacon

Some cottage cheese as a topping on my eggs

1 c. coffee w/ heavy cream

Planned exercise:

Long walk with lunges (try to do five sets of 30)

Driveway shoveling

Upcoming challenges: holiday cookie party tomorrow; freezing rain in the forecast
    Last edited by slesca; 02-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Congratulations on the pregnancy, and good luck with the changes you're trying to make! I'm hoping to start a primal pregnancy soon myself From my experience with DD, in addition to avoiding heartburn, etc., you're also likely to see the benefits of your hard work now in better sleep, a more comfortable later pregnancy, a better labor, and your body springing back into shape much more quickly postpartum All that besides a healthily nourished baby!

DepRatlAnimal Guest

BTW, I have to share - my absolute favorite pregnancy workout DVD I used all the way through, from 2nd trimester on - Perfect Pregnancy Workout, done by a pregnant Cirque du Soleil acrobat. I felt so graceful and strong doing her stretching routines, and the strength stuff was pretty good...

Thanks, DRA! That video looks like a great Christmas gift request.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! I'm also doing a primal pregnancy right now. About 9.5 weeks along I think. You can follow me on my primal journal if you'd like. It'll be fun to do this together!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Day 1 went very well! I did the predicted shoveling, went for a 3+ mile walk (and even did the lunges just because I knew I'd have to write about it), and ate very well for my first day back. Lunch was a salad at my favorite quick mexican place:

Lunch-

lettuce, pork, pico de gallo, grilled peppers and onions, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. It always makes me so mad that they charge me extra for the grilled veggies, even though I don't get the tortilla shell, rice, or beans. Gah!

Snack: 5 p.m.

1-2 servings mixed nuts. I didn't count.

Dinner: 7 p.m.

For dinner we had friends over and ordered a pizza, but I made myself a (grass-fed, grass finished) ribeye in advance and ate it sliced over some romaine lettuce with 1/2 a tomato, olive oil and red wine vinegar. Also, 3 half-jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese. Yum! I also ate 3 boneless buffalo wings, breaded, unfortunately, but I felt like that was my small weekend treat. Everyone else had wine, beer and Christmas cookies, so I wanted something fun too!

I remembered to take my prenatal vite, my 4000 IUs of D, and my fish oil capsules.

Today:

Breakfast- 8:30

Breakfast "pizza." This is really a fritata that I make in a round pan and slice like pizza. It contains eggs, bacon, avocado, tomato and a mixture of monterey jack cheese and cheddar on top. I top it with cottage cheese, salsa and Tabasco sauce.

Planned exercise:

Snowy hill climbs (10?) with dog

Squats, deadlifts, push-ups, bench (if still comfortable; I'm on the cusp of not being able to do exercises on my back), dips

Challenges: we didn't get any freezing rain, but I'm still stressed about this cookie party. I have a feeling it will be conspicuous if I shun the cookies all together, so I'm prepared to practice moderation if I can't avoid eating them. My other upcoming challenge is getting moving on work days. I leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark. I have weights and a treadmill at home, but I have so much trouble making myself do anything by the time I make dinner, give my daughter a bath and put her to bed at 8. I have a traditionally high stress job (attorney), though I do my best to be chill and control what I can. I'm usually wiped by the end of the day, and even more so now that I'm pregnant. Plus, winter darkness + pregnancy = lots of sleepiness.

sazzy Guest

Slesca - please keep posting! I've been following Mark's site for several months now, just learning about Primal Living, but haven't started living like so just yet. Also have a little one (2 years) and am almost 17 weeks pregnant with #2. I completely relate to all you've been saying. I have been so tempted by all the crap food during my pregnancy so far too. And exercise seems just too easy to try to blow off. But you're motivating me since we have similar situations - I'm going to follow along with you - thanks!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Wow slesca, I'm tired from READING about your day. I'm impressed.

Sazzy, congratulations on your pregnancy too! It seems like we should start a primal preggo club.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

We do have a club!

Thanks for posting, Sazzy. I'm excited to have a "buddy" out there. In my real life, lots of my friends are also pregnant, with due dates staggered all through the spring and summer. Let me know what you figure out to avoid blowing off your weeknight exercising. And thanks for the encouragement to keep posting. I plan to keep it up. Pregnancy is a fun time to keep track of things because it's a time of such rapid change.

To round out my Sunday:

Morning: coffee with cream in addition to the meal listed in my last post

Lunch:

Lots of homemade chicken salad on romaine

Cookie party:

The cookies were all cut into tiny pieces. I think I had the equivalent to 3-4 cookies. Not good, but I had fun and didn't feel like I ate a ton. Could have been worse.

Dinner:

Pulled pork w/ BBQ sauce (sauce = not primal, so kept the amount moderate). I really need to try out some recipes of my own so I can stop buying my favorite stuff.

Homemade potato chips. Starchy but real!

Remembered my prenatal vite, D, and fish oil.

So, I didn't eat many veggies today. I will try and remedy that this week with some big salads.

I scratched the hill climbs for a snowy hike with the fam, about 50 minutes. Carried a 40 lb. preschooler on my shoulders off and on (more often off, but still, it got my blood pumping!). Did some clean-up shoveling in light of some recent melting when we returned. Then, tonight, I lifted for the first time in a week and a half:

3 sets of 10 pushups

3 sets of 6 95 lbs. bench press

3 sets of 8 95 lbs. squat (if I can bench the same amount, shouldn't I be able to squat a lot more?)

3 sets of 8 dips w/ 25 lbs on my lap

2 sets of 6 115 lbs. deadlifts

These are all weights and reps that I feel confident with. If I wasn't pregnant, I'd probably be pushing all of them a lot more, but I do notice a little round ligament soreness, and I don't want to pull anything. Given that my weight is increasing, I figure the dips and pushups will naturally get harder, so no tweaking necessary there.

All in all, I'm pleased with my activity for the weekend and will give myself a B- on the eating. Huge improvement, but no A's for me yet. This is what I like about the PB, though. I feel 100% better than I felt on Friday, and I still had 3+ cookies today. Incremental change really does matter.

Off to make my primal version of Italian Wedding Soup for tomorrow night's dinner, boil some eggs for quick breakfasts, read and go to BED.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast