Thread: Starting the Journey... Expressing Intention page

Hominem Intempestus is offline Junior Member

Starting the Journey... Expressing Intention

Shop Now
    So I'm sitting in a Barnes and Nobles, pouring over a copy of the Primal Blueprint, and after dwelling on it for about a week now I am ready to dive in. I'd like to record and share my progress and thoughts, and I figured this would be as good a place as any. In a way this is an attempt to verbalize my commitment to the Primal lifestyle to those that understand it's complexities; to tap into a community that will on some subconscious level inspire me to stick to my new (and growing) guns

Some Backstory:
    I trained in Isshin Ryu Karate for 6+ years before coming to college, so I am not too out of shape, but all-nighters, parties, procrastination, etc. have taken a toll on my overall fitness. However, I've developed in other areas a worldview that tends to be critical of conventional wisdom at large. From politics to religion to health and on, I've decided to reject to the best of my abilities the things that defy our innate programming (our biological hardware, if you will) pushed on us by collective wisdom. Yes, I am an idealist, but these factors played a huge role in determining who I am now and where I am going.

My first step towards this lifestyle was my purchase of VFFs. Who knew that shoes could change so much? I was determined not to "follow the fad"-- I did my research and had prolonged conversations with my ex-girlfriend's father (an active marathon runner) about the physiology involved...the more I learned, the more I realized how much unconscious faith we have in the world around us; letting Nike or Addidas determine what we put on our feet, regardless of how detrimental it is. The fact that typical running shoes actually work against our physiology spurred on my own paradigm shift-- in essence I became determined to do what was best for me in terms of my biology, letting time and evolution guide my decisions as opposed to bloated corporations and government subsidies.

Of course, there was little I could do by myself to realize my primal nature (aside from running barefoot and spending as much time outside as possible). So, finally, I turned to the internet. Until reading the PB, I had not even considered how nutrition was equally compromised by the collective wisdom I had grown to distrust. Frankly, its a lot to take in at once and I can't say that I understand fully all of the bio-chemical rationale for the system; but for now it is enough for me to follow the mantra "Eat what Grok ate."

This, then, is my commitment to myself and this community to dive in and see what happens.

Some complementary goals:
    -Stop smoking (I know...)
    -Sleep at least 8 hours a night
    -Be able to complete 100 push-ups, 100 squats, and 25 pull-ups within two months time (I'm about halfway there)

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I just wanted to formally declare my intent (it usually helps me stay focused). Also, I'm open to any and all advice!

-Eric

Also, If anyone wants to discuss the philosophical dimensions of this life-way, I'm more than willing

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Best of luck to you. It took me many years to realize what you already have understood: CW in almost everything is not the right way. Be grateful that you came to that realization at this point in your life, before decades of CW stole much of your life.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Paleobird Guest
    Welcome. You write very well. (That's coming from a former English Professor.)

Your post could very well be the start of an interesting journal in that section of the forum. People like to keep tabs on each other there, offer encouragement, advice, etc.

And yes, please do lose the cigs. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer. Believe me, you don't want to go that way.

I wish you well on your Primal journey.

Hominem Intempestus is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, writing is something I enjoy. And I think writing about the experience will keep me committed in the long run.

I was looking for the proper place to post this...didn't see the journals section at first. Tomorrow is my official quit date, and I plan on starting off with a bike ride to work.

I am excited to transform myself and see where that takes me.

-Eric

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    VFFs are totally a "gateway drug" to primal/paleo. They were for me ;D Good luck, it only gets better from here!
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Rhyno is offline Member
    ^Agreed

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hominem Intempestus View Post
    Some complementary goals:
    -Stop smoking (I know...)
    -Sleep at least 8 hours a night
    -Be able to complete 100 push-ups, 100 squats, and 25 pull-ups within two months time (I'm about halfway there)

-Eric

Also, If anyone wants to discuss the philosophical dimensions of this life-way, I'm more than willing
    Great goal mate... and best of luck with the smoking. It was one of the best things I ever did (and the hardest) they key is you have to want it because you want it. Not because you know it is bad for you or it is expensive. For me the time came when I was starting to feel the negative effects like the lack of breath ect to finaly have the "want" to do it for real.

"Quitting smokeing is the easiest thing I have ever done... I have done it 1000s of times" ~Mark Twain

(All that was for people who never smoked to understand how hard this is to do)

Remember do it and you wont regret it. Once you get to the point if someone is smokeing near you and you think it smells gross and not great... you made it.

Cheers

MakeItSo is offline Member
    Funny how we just move forward with our lives, never stopping to question all the knowledge we take for granted as hardened fact. As I have gotten older and become more inclined to do so (CW/SAD being one of the first major things I ever really questioned), I find it much easier to spot others taking their knowledge for granted. My kids are a great example. They've been taught that anything which cleanly fits into the food pyramid posted on the cafeteria wall at school must be healthy. Therefore, bread, potatoes, and milk products are all perfectly healthy. They know sugar is bad, yet they lump fats into that unhealthy category as well. Thankfully their little minds are still spongey and I've come a long way in showing them what proper nutrition looks like.

Best of luck on your primal journey -- I'm still in the early stages of mine, and have been loving it so far!

CattyB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItSo View Post

Best of luck on your primal journey -- I'm still in the early stages of mine, and have been loving it so far!
    I second both parts of this sentiment. Just started on 7/5/11 and am down by 40 lbs of the 100+ that I want to loose. Sleep doesn't seem to be improving much yet. I do have more energy, a greater ability to concentrate on tasks, am almost never really "starving", and have noticed that it just gets easier and easier to turn down those cookies/bread/crackers/brownies that are always around my workplace!

ANY movement toward the goal of Grok-ness is a step forward...and even if you have stepped back at times, it's only a quick pause 'cause you found something interesting in the path or need to retreat a bit to conquer a specific obstacle encountered on your trip!