Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A cry for HELP! page 4

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    No, no, no! GCBC is too long, too ard to read. Gary Taubes wrote Why We Get Fat to address these concerns. Good luck!
    +1 And as your mom is a nurse, she'll understand what little scientific gobbledegook there is (honestly, it's not much and makes a lot of sense)
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Mike7 is offline Senior Member
    It really hard to change your parents mind when they follow the doctors order to the T! Its even harder when your parents only understand Chinese and I can't really explain the the literature of what I read.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Don't try to change their minds, don't even attempt to explain paleo or low-carb or anything to them. If your parents are stubborn it's just going to backfire and lead to tension over food, which is an awful thing to have in your life and family to say the least.

Say grains give you headaches and diarrhea. And once grains are established as a cause of symptoms, *then* you could begin to suggest that they are a less desirable food source for everyone. But don't make a struggle out of it when you can very easily avoid it. It might not be as satisfying to go without supporting your dietary choices based on science and human history, but just claiming headaches+diarrhea is much more likely to actually get you what you want, which is, I'm guessing, to not have to eat grains. Isn't that the most important thing right now?

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    Don't try to change their minds, don't even attempt to explain paleo or low-carb or anything to them. If your parents are stubborn it's just going to backfire and lead to tension over food, which is an awful thing to have in your life and family to say the least.

Say grains give you headaches and diarrhea. And once grains are established as a cause of symptoms, *then* you could begin to suggest that they are a less desirable food source for everyone. But don't make a struggle out of it when you can very easily avoid it. It might not be as satisfying to go without supporting your dietary choices based on science and human history, but just claiming headaches+diarrhea is much more likely to actually get you what you want, which is, I'm guessing, to not have to eat grains. Isn't that the most important thing right now?
    Agreed 100% and what I said. Really, focus on the issue, not on the desire. All they need to know and made to understand is the impact grains have on you. Once you break through that, then its a matter of convincing them the right diet, but you MUST get them to understand the cause and effect first.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post

Say grains give you headaches and diarrhea. And once grains are established as a cause of symptoms, *then* you could begin to suggest that they are a less desirable food source for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    All they need to know and made to understand is the impact grains have on you. Once you break through that, then its a matter of convincing them the right diet, but you MUST get them to understand the cause and effect first.
    +1000000!!!!! keep it simple.

and with what i said here(did you try it yet?):

Quote Originally Posted by JoPaleo View Post
    see what happens when you tell them that you didn't get a headache for a whole month when you stopped eating grains. it's not going to be easy to convince them that eliminating grains completely will be good for your health but it's worth a shot.

TraceurX is offline Member
    Ok so just an update I have convinced my dad to read the primal blueprint and he is really on board! So now all I need to do is convince my mom

Your mom won't be convinced by a book - as a nurse she has access to all sorts of people she considers experts that can cast doubt on a book. And then, most parents are going to agree on a unified stance to these things, so while you might gain your dad's moral support, his parental support might not be there yet.

Again your best bet is to not focus first on any specific diet, focus on getting your mom to understand that gluten intolerance exists in you. She will much easier accept alternative diets (she would have to) once that bridge gets crossed.

TraceurX is offline Member
    ALRIGHT another update. My mother is fighting tooth and nail against me. My dad is doing his best to help while not being an active human sheild. So whenever my mom has told me to eat grains I will try to substitute tubers, and 3 or 5 she'll take that. When I do have to eat grains I will eat either rice or quinoa only

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well as long as she allows you options thats something. But don't give up on educating her of the gluten thing. Thats the only thing that will win her over. Once she gets the idea something is hurting her little boy (rather than her little boy hurting himself which is what she thinks right now) her mind will change....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234