Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A cry for HELP! page 3

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceurX View Post
    so I think if I can get them to read Good Calories, Bad Calories they might be convinced, thanks for all your help
    No, no, no! GCBC is too long, too ard to read. Gary Taubes wrote Why We Get Fat to address these concerns. Good luck!

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    Can you ask them for a trial period? Tell them that you'd like to try this for two months. Make sure they see you eat loads of vegetables and healthy foods. I cannot imagine denying my child that, even if she wanted to be a vegan. I'd at least let her try it and have sensible discussions about it. I actually became a vegetarian in high school. My mom said that if I didn't like what was for dinner, I had to fix my own food. Sadly, I was rather malnourished at the time, but I am grateful they gave me the space to be my own person. I wasn't drinking, going out with boys, or into drugs. All teens want to assert some indepdence. Better with food than drugs!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    There are two things at issue here, the impact of grains on you in general, then the matter of your choice of diet methodology (primal blueprint, etc...) that happens to exclude grains for those reasons.

Since grains are a bonafide issue with you in and of themselves, you get headaches and other issues, focus on presenting your parents with research and studies that indicate there are X population of people sensitive to grains including allergies and at worst celiac, and even ask to get tested. Don't muddy the waters over this particular diet or that particular diet when the issue is you need any diet without grains due to those visible, persistent issues you have with them. If you put too much focus on Y or Z diets will distract them from the real issue and they will approach those books with suspicion of being fat diets filling your head with nonsense about grains being bad.

If you get to the point you are forced to eat grains, keep a diary of what you eat and what you feel. It might help to summarize your experience of how long you had headaches and problems in the past, how soon you felt the issues after eating, and how long its been since you had symptoms while grain free.

While I disagree with your parents, I support their right to ensure you, their minor child, are fed the way they think is best. I say this because I am on the other side wanting to feed my daughter a good primal diet and not wanting anyone on the outside interfering. The best we can do is provide supportive advice, and while its a tall order for a 15 yr old, it will be a good learning experience for you to find the right way to present the right argument and material to convince your parents to change course. You probably already know any hint of rebelliousness won't help and so I applaud your efforts to win by intelligent arguments.

If you can't persuade them to layoff on grains, perhaps strike a deal to eat twice as many vegetables to the exclusion of grain or quite a bit less based on the premise that vegetables ounce for ounce provide far more fiber.
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 07-25-2011 at 06:53 AM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget to remind them that you're not necessarily going low carb. Just low grain. Hopefully then the sweet potato thing will make more sense. There is a lot of bad press around the "low carb!" mentality (not saying it's justified, just saying that conventional wisdom's immediate reaction to low carb is usually negative).

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unshod Sarah View Post
    Can you ask them for a trial period? Tell them that you'd like to try this for two months. Make sure they see you eat loads of vegetables and healthy foods. I cannot imagine denying my child that, even if she wanted to be a vegan. I'd at least let her try it and have sensible discussions about it. I actually became a vegetarian in high school. My mom said that if I didn't like what was for dinner, I had to fix my own food. Sadly, I was rather malnourished at the time, but I am grateful they gave me the space to be my own person. I wasn't drinking, going out with boys, or into drugs. All teens want to assert some indepdence. Better with food than drugs!
    Worked for Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, and Daniel
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    There are two things at issue here, the impact of grains on you in general, then the matter of your choice of diet methodology (primal blueprint, etc...) that happens to exclude grains for those reasons.

Since grains are a bonafide issue with you in and of themselves, you get headaches and other issues, focus on presenting your parents with research and studies that indicate there are X population of people sensitive to grains including allergies and at worst celiac, and even ask to get tested. Don't muddy the waters over this particular diet or that particular diet when the issue is you need any diet without grains due to those visible, persistent issues you have with them. If you put too much focus on Y or Z diets will distract them from the real issue and they will approach those books with suspicion of being fat diets filling your head with nonsense about grains being bad.

If you get to the point you are forced to eat grains, keep a diary of what you eat and what you feel. It might help to summarize your experience of how long you had headaches and problems in the past, how soon you felt the issues after eating, and how long its been since you had symptoms while grain free.

While I disagree with your parents, I support their right to ensure you, their minor child, are fed the way they think is best. I say this because I am on the other side wanting to feed my daughter a good primal diet and not wanting anyone on the outside interfering. The best we can do is provide supportive advice, and while its a tall order for a 15 yr old, it will be a good learning experience for you to find the right way to present the right argument and material to convince your parents to change course. You probably already know any hint of rebelliousness won't help and so I applaud your efforts to win by intelligent arguments.

If you can't persuade them to layoff on grains, perhaps strike a deal to eat twice as many vegetables to the exclusion of grain or quite a bit less based on the premise that vegetables ounce for ounce provide far more fiber.
    out of curiosity do you feel it is ok to force feed your daughter. Feel free to PM me I am not trying to start a fight.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely start your folks off with Taubes Why We Get Fat. It has enough science for most people. I also read GCBC after I read Why We Get Fat because I wanted more of the science. Since your mom was a nurse, she might like the science, but then again, she might not and she can always go read GCBC after Why We Get Fat if she wants.

Of course, you can also buy them a copy of the Primal Blueprint to follow it up. Hopefully, if you keep pushing that you feel so much better on a Primal diet, and that you are Healthy on it, then they might eventually let you do your own thing.

Good luck.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

TraceurX is offline Member
    just wanted to clear some things up

1. I eat lots of veggies, LOTS I love them.

2. I am tempted to buy why we get fat to help them understand, but I am sure they will be skeptecal

3. although this doesn't bug that much I am a guy.....just fyi

4.does anyone have any idea how many carbs a day I should be getting? I haven't hit my growth spurt yet but will soon (i hope)

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    You're growing up, you're only 15, so:
    don't limit your fruit (whole fruit, not juice), don't limit your starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, maybe you'll also have to eat white potatoes if your parents cook it), just avoid grains (maybe make an exception for white rice). Definitely ask for a trial period, maybe 30 days.

You're not ditching grains for cinnamon rolls or pop-tarts (oh wait, those have grains!) so why would your parents be upset? Most parents would be insanely happy if their teenager wanted to eat lots of vegetables! If you're getting plenty of meat, fish, eggs and vegetables, I don't see how you'd be starving. Honestly, your parents are being silly. You're not a 7 year old who is refusing to eat their vegetables, then ask for ice cream!

Just make sure you Don't do interval fasting, or your parents will really think you are starving yourself. Remember, your body is still growing up.

Force feeding is wrong, unless you're actually skin and bones, you know, more bones than flesh.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Here is an articles on grains I found in the Research section, if your parents want to read it:
    Going Against the Grain Towards Better Health -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast