Thread: Long term antibiotics page

JohnR is offline Junior Member

Long term antibiotics

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been taking an oral antibiotic for the last month, and still have between 8 and 11 months to go. I don't feel out of sorts from this yet, but as a newb to the PB and reading about the benefits of healthy bacteria on the inside what should I be looking out for? Is it worth starting the pro flora supplement while on this treatment or should I just take it for a month when I am done to get everything reestablished?

John

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    What are you taking it for? For everything I used to take frequent antibx for, including a long-term prophylactic regimen my daughter was on, I've found ways either to avoid the infections or, on the rare occasion they occur anymore, to treat them by megadosing vitamin C.

Yes, you should hit the probiotics hard. The best you can buy (Garden of Life Primal Defense, BioKult, those are some places to start looking). Fermented foods, too. Playing with the gut bacteria should not be taken lightly. I didn't feel any effects my first year, either, but now, ten years later, I'm still fighting to restore my health.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering the same thing about timing. I had to take it for a sinus infection (job hazard, breathing in exhaust and truckloads of pollen), but I only took it for 5 days.

Anyway, I am taking a probiotic because of that (replacing the good bacteria that got killed off along with everything else) and because I feel like it's still doing me some good, at least for the near future. I used Ultimate Flora when I first started eating Primal, and it really worked well for me.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat dairy? If so, you may want to consider adding daily homemade kefir to your diet. Other naturally fermented foods - raw sauerkraut, kombucha, beet kvass....all may be beneficial.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Do you eat dairy? If so, you may want to consider adding daily homemade kefir to your diet. Other naturally fermented foods - raw sauerkraut, kombucha, beet kvass....all may be beneficial.
    I was going to say this - totally agree. Any fermented foods are essential.

You may also look into timing of taking the probiotics - as far away from the antibiotics as possible. Like take one in the morning and the other at night, or if multiple doses of antibx, taking them 6hrs away from each other.

I had a positive skin test for TB when I came back from Iraq, so its one pill a day for at least nine months. I have no trouble with dairy, but I cant find a yogurt that is not full of sugar and have no idea what kefier is. And does home brewed wine count as a good for me fermented food?

JohnR

Is that a government-required thing? You should definitely check out Nutrition and Physical Degeneration and/or The Weston A. Price Foundation. Weston Price found that *all* of the people who contracted TB were eating processed food, and that none of those who had a traditional diet caught it, even as those around them were dying. Going 100% primal (maybe supplemented by megadosing vitamin C and possibly vitamin A, depending on if TB is one of those things that depletes it; I don't know) should be enough to act as all the antibiotic you need, I would bet. If I were in your shoes, I'd look to see if there are tests to monitor the progress of the infection, and go on a purely dietary regimen with regular testing to be sure I was improving, not worsening, if that's available.

Look for the big tubs of yogurt - they usually offer vanilla and "Plain" (nonsweetened) varieties in the big containers. You want whole yogurt, though, not nonfat, and may have to go to Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, or something like that to find some that is both whole and unsweetened (in other words, in its natural state). I make mine, though - it's pretty easy. You just heat milk to steaming, cool it, stir in a few spoonfuls of yogurt, and let it sit at a constant temperature (can use oven, dehydrator, cooler with heating pad, etc.) between about 95 & 110 for 4-24 hours ( the longer, the tarter). There are tutorials all over the web.

Kefir is easier. You get some kefir "grains" from someone else, pour milk over it, sit it on the counter for 24 hrs, and poof, you have your own kefir! Strain and drink; use the "grains" to make more for the next day.

Yes, home brewed wine that is not pasteurized after fermentation definitely counts (if you don't go overboard, lol).

Simple yummy sauerkraut - cut up cabbage, stuff mason jar full. Cover with water and 1-2 tablespoons unrefined sea salt (leave 1" at top of jar for expansion). Let sit 3-30 days on counter, covered. Poof, sauerkraut!

THANK YOU for serving our country.

Yeah, uncle sam will kick me out if I don't do the meds Would also help to not die of TB. And thanks for the info