Thread: What do you guys like for a fajita marinade? page

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

What do you guys like for a fajita marinade?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've started to really enjoy making fajitas lately but want to experiment with marinades. I've been using this one:
    Fajita Marinade I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

and it comes out good. Mark has a recipe for a skirt steak marinade here: How to Marinate Meat (plus 10 Meat Marinade Recipes) | Mark's Daily Apple

But I'm not sure how "Mexican" it would taste. Wondering if you have some suggestions. Also, if anyone has a good recipe for taco seasoning, like you'd get from McCormick but without the crap, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.

Karen F is offline Member
    I made a first stab at "Primal Tacos" over the weekend. This is all at the improv stage but essentially I sweated down chopped red onions and a clove of crushed garlic in coconut oil, started browning the ground beef and then added ground cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, and mild chili powder (ordinarily I'd use hot chili powder or tabasco but had made a pretty hot salsa to go with so didn't want to overpower the spouse!). Then about a rounded tablespoon of tomato paste. All this is "too taste", I'd say I was probably throwing in between 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of each of the above. Salt and pepper to taste as well.

The combination of the coconut oil and a not extra lean ground beef plus, I think, the tomato paste made for a nice, moist consistency (but not too messy!). Served this with home made guacamole, the salsa as above, sourcream, rolled up in a super lettuce leaf they have here in the UK called "Little Gem" -- not sure if it's available in the US but if not romaine or even standard iceburg would be fine. Husband scoffed it down and I was pleased with the results, although I think it needs some tweaking. We're not huge cheese eaters so I skipped that but of course sprinkled grated cheese would be good too if you like it!

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    This is the recipe I made up and use for fajita marinades

For taco seasoning, I basically use some random combination of salt, garlic, black pepper, cumin, and various chili spices (cayenne, ancho, chipotle, etc ... depending on how spicy I want them). Sometimes I'll throw in a little oregano or cilantro as well...
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Marinade? Nothing. As in the case of steaks, I start with a bit of coconut or olive oil. Do a quick stir fry of the meat, onions and peppers. Add whatever Mexican herbs and spices appeal to me that day. Eat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.