Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Back PAIN!!!! EXTREME page

baybelite is offline Junior Member

Lower Back PAIN!!!! EXTREME

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal off and on for about 5 weeks, and I've had lower back pain for about 3 years. The pain prevents me from being able to workout consistently & its holding back progress. i have taken all kinds of test and nothing seems to point out an exact problem. Any suggestions on pain relief or workouts/stretches?...anything that could help would be great.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I can relate. Been having issues for three years my self. Have been through the gamut of chiros, accupuncture, docs...you name it. Best relief I've found came through reading the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robert McKenzie. I picked up a used copy for a few bucks on Amazon. Only thing that has really helped. He prescribes a series of stretches and using a lower back roll, while sitting, to keep the proper shape of your lower back. Can't say it would help you but helped me tremendously.

Thanks for the advice... do you take any meds to help with the pain?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I heard about a routine called Bulletproof Back a while ago. Some of the stretches really help me when I tweak my back, especially the bird-dog.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Get your vitamin D level checked. I'm a long time back problem sufferer. Chiro therapy usually worked for me but then it stopped. I was deficient in D. As my levels came back up, I healed.

jswanz1 is offline Member
    I'd say best bet is to find a physical therapist that competently practices osteopathic manipulation/manual therapy (strain counter-strain, muscle energy, myofascial release, and manipulation) to realign the pelvis and spine to mitigate pain if your back pain is mechanical in nature. If a therapist or doctor doesn't know what osteopathic manipulation is they probably won't be able to help you very much. You could also try to find an actual Osteopath (D.O.) who practices manual medicine.

That being said I personally am not huge into chiropractors (not just because I'm a PT). They typically only address the spine, so if you have pelvis and lower extremity issues you are up shit’s creek without a paddle. Though, if your back pain is truly spinal in nature they might be able to help you out.

As far as the McKenzie exercises go I don’t feel that they do much for the majority of back pain, excluding a few exercises when indicated. But even then I am not convinced of the theory behind McKenzie’s work.

In the meantime I would recommend really work on improving your hip mobility/range of motion on a daily basis, especially if you sit a lot. The majority of back pain is a resultant from lots of sitting which creates adaptive shortening of the hip flexors (along with a whole slew of other stuff I won't bore you with) that makes your back hurt when standing (of course I am just assuming this is your case).

This is the best stretch for the hip flexors: ‪8/23/1010.MOV‬‏ - YouTube
    -Kelly Starrett's site is just plain awesome as well: MobilityWOD

If you feel up to it you can tell me more about your back pain and I would happily provide you with more insight on what to do (I am a PT who practices Osteopathic manipulation/manual therapy)! Like tell me about when did your back start hurting, what caused it, what makes it hurt more (standing/sitting/exercising/after exercising), what makes it feel better (rest/sitting/standing/ice/heat), when does it hurt (morning/evening/after sitting for a while then standing), where does it hurt, do you have any symptoms in your legs when your back is hurting, if so is it a burning sensation or numbness/tingling, and anything else that you feel is important!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I'd say best bet is to find a physical therapist that competently practices osteopathic manipulation/manual therapy (strain counter-strain, muscle energy, myofascial release, and manipulation) to realign the pelvis and spine to mitigate pain if your back pain is mechanical in nature. If a therapist or doctor doesn't know what osteopathic manipulation is they probably won't be able to help you very much. You could also try to find an actual Osteopath (D.O.) who practices manual medicine.
    My last physical therapist had extensive training in osteopathic manipulation and I second this recommendation. The techniques that they use for realigning the sacroiliac joint are very effective. She just moved to Baltimore...I am so upset not to have her available.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 07-23-2011 at 09:48 PM.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I had chronic back pain since I injured it in college. The last flare up was in January when I started working out again. I attempted to do P90X and my back caved again. It was so bad I ordered every back relief stuff out there and nothing worked. I had to roll onto my side to get out of bed. It felt like my back would snap any moment or if moved wrong. Then I got this book Healing Back Pain. and read it and it went away within a week and hasn't come back. It was that simple. I guess I have no medical proof, but I have complete faith that the back problem is gone for good. If you really want to try everything, I highly recommend you read this with an open mind.

I currently sit a lot as i do most of my work from my computer. I first got the injury a few years back when I was playing high school football. I was careless with weightlifting and hurt my back. Since then I've had an EEG test, CT scan, MRI, Acupuncture. You name it and I've done it. I am overweight and I started PB to see if losing weight would help & improve my overall health as well. Now the pain part is complicated. I used to get shooting pains down both legs but would stop right below the butt cheek. About a year ago is when the shooting pains stopped. Now the pain is located completely in my back. The pain is terrible in the morning, and when I try to stand up after sitting for a while. The pain is real low when I am active(lifting weights or moving around). Just a little extra, I can barely bend over to pick something up off the floor. Most times I have to take a knee to get to it.
    BTW thanks for all the advice!

newsloot is offline Junior Member
    I have lower back pain for 3 years, too :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast