Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone made bone broth in a pressure cooker? Being the weekend I'd like to make a lot and freeze it in one cup portions. This pressure cooker sits on the stove, its not a "plug-in". I need an idea of how long and I don't even know what the guage should read. Its a borrowed appliance and didn't come with instructions.

Bone Broth in Pressure Cooker

I re-looked at the pressure cooker and it doesn't have a guage on it. I managed to Google the brand name and found the manual. The manual recipe for stock says cook about 1/2 hour. Since I want the broth richer an hour sounds better. I was disappointed that the manual said to add only 2 pints of water to the bones. Its going to take forever to make enough to freeze for about a month. Cooking this way, could the bones be re-used? I paid about $10 for 3 smallish packages of neck bones and 1 package of knuckle bones.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I recently made my first batch of broth in a pressure cooker. I've made it many times before on the stove or in the crockpot. I can't help with pressure cooker details because mine is an electric one, but I will say the amount of gelatin I got was shocking! I don't know if it was something about the batch of bones, or because of the pressure but I am sure it is the healthiest stock I've ever had
    Last edited by jammies; 07-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I have to say the thought of being able to make broth in an hour or so versus two days has a certain appeal to me. Considering i make so much stock, this might be a viable option Please let me know how this goes for you.

Bone Broth in a Pressure Cooker

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I have to say the thought of being able to make broth in an hour or so versus two days has a certain appeal to me. Considering i make so much stock, this might be a viable option Please let me know how this goes for you.
    I'll be sure to post the outcome. I Googled Bone Broth in a Pressure Cooker, or the other way around, and found a YouTube video with a lady talking about re-using the bones every day for 12 days and still getting gelatiny/broth. She was using a crock pot but it seems it would be the same principle with the pressure cooker. Unless the pressure cooker extracted every bit of goodness out of the bones the first time. I keep going back to the cost of the bones but $10 is a lot for just a few days worth of broth. I'm going to give beef feet bones a try. Sounded gross but the bone is described as "above the hoof around the area of the ankle".

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Amazing - this is just the info I was looking for. I had a pressure cooker years ago when I cooked a lot of dried beans and I figured it would be good for bone broth too. I will definitely be getting one now because doing the 3 day slow cook (in a small slowcooker) is getting to be a drag.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Reporting back . . .

I said I would post how things went pressure cooking beef bones. My mom had a pressure cooker and used it, Dad would take it out on the back porch, the outside porch, to release the steam when it was finished cooking. I've never used one at all. Made some of my family nervous and the dog was not allowed in the kitchen. Moving ahead, I placed a package of knuckle bones (3 bones) and 3 packages of neck bones into the pot with 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and a cut up onion (big chunks) I filled the pot 2/3 full of water, put on the lid, followed the rest of the instructions particular to this stove top model and let it cook for 1 1/2 hours. When finished, I turned off the gas and let it sit until the steam had stopped . . . steaming. I waited an hour the manual says 15 to 20 minutes. Strained the liquid into a bowl and set it in the fridge last night. There was about 1/2 inch of solid tallow on top. Trying to get ready for work this morning, and didn't have time to see if there was gelatin under the tallow or even to take some in a container to drink at work. Going to finish all that stuff tonight. It was a nice "bronzy" color but would have been darker if I had roasted the bones before hand. Sure is faster than the crock pot. Post the end result tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Tried the Pressure Cooker bone broth this morning. Added a little salt since I didn't add any to the cooking. It was very good and would have even been better if I had taken the time to roast the bones first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Tried the Pressure Cooker bone broth this morning. Added a little salt since I didn't add any to the cooking. It was very good and would have even been better if I had taken the time to roast the bones first.
    Nice firm gelatin!

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know this is an old thread but I'm sure it gets found a lot in Google searches. I've been making bone broth in the pressure cooker for about 6 months now (maybe 8 times). I must say its amazingly easy! I usually make a mixed bone broth, just what ever bones I have plus I add a couple of grass-fed soup / marrow bones. For vegetables start with standard onion, carrots, celery and then add what ever peels or marginal vegetables (e.g. just bruised, not rotten) I've saved over the past few days.

Here is what was in my last batch of mixed bone broth:
    1 large onion cut it quarters (no need to peel)
    1 small head of garlic, slice across the length of the garlic to expose it (again, no need to peel).
    3-4 carrots, do not peel, just slice in half
    4-5 celery stalks with leaves (washed to remove any dirt), sliced in half
    peels from 4 zucchini (from another recipe)
    6-7 black peppercorns
    2 tablespoons vinegar (to leach minerals from the bones)
    2 grassfed soup (marrow) bones about 2 1/2 inches thick
    2 pork chop bones from a dinner a few weeks back (frozen)
    1 chicken carcass
    water was filled to the 3/4 level of my crock pot (mine has a do not fill above line)

I brought it up to pressure, put on a timer for 60 minutes, depressurized it after 60 minutes, then split the larger chicken bones with a fairly clean pair of pliers (you might can do this before cooking them but I found they don't shatter this way, they just split). Brought it back up to pressure and cooked it for another 60 minutes.

After 2 hours total cook time I used a conventional stock pot with a steamer insert to strain all the big chunks. Wiped out the pressure cooker. Then strained the broth through a fine wire mesh strainer back in to the crock pot.

By this time the cook was needing a little nourishment and had a cup of broth, very yummy with a lot of gelatin. The rest was used for a large pot chicken vegetable soup (also made in the pressure cooker).

I remember both of my grandmothers collecting bones from dinners. I think this freaks some people out as you're basically making broth from other people's leftovers. But for those that might be grossed out by this, pressure cooking kills any germ that might be present. So save those bones, even from company.
    Last edited by MN_John; 09-24-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast